Fast Food workers protest and demand more money.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How often did He curse the wealthy?
Never.

The overwhelming message of the gospel is that worldly possessions and the accumulation of wealth leads to rot in the soul.
Nope.

The gospel is that all men have sinned and fall short of God's standard and all men need Jesus.

The good news tells you that the poor are praised, and exalted, and that the wealthy and elite are cursed and will one day be cast down.
Inventing things to believe is not good practice.

The rich are cursed, derided, taunted, and ignored (to their considerable chagrin) by both Jesus and his cousin throughout the gospels.
Which is why Jesus spoke with this one, I guess:

Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?” So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’ ” And he answered and said to Him, “Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth.” Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.” But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. (Mark‬ 10‬:17-22‬ NKJV)​

And this message, unsurprisingly, seems utterly lost on most of you.
That's because it comes from you -- a moron with no brain. :)

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paying fast-food workers $15 an hour is not going to mean layoffs because these jobs cannot and will not be outsourced overseas. Or taken over by robots or automation.

That's nice, but you seem to be in a one-man conversation.

Minimum wage hikes aren't worrying because businesses will turn to automation or outsourcing -- that will be done if it is possible and profitable at any time.

Minimum wage hikes are problematic because the math demands that there will be no overall gain. Add to that an increase in bureaucracy, and what we will see is a net drain.

rexlunae

If said another way: if a bigger government, or a government with more control, or as a government displaces freedom (all the same thing) made peoples' lives better then I'd be all for it.

I'm not sure how you can generalize that well.

But in every case, and by general theory, and in this particular case, that's not true.

Yes, that good old "general theory". I recall it well from the "general theory class" in "general studies".

If you believe government is bad in every case, I assume you are then an anarchist?

We know that they are, in general, worse off in this case because you are asking the government to increase it's control over possible free contracts more than it already is.

Yes, it's a terrible imposition on personal freedom. The government says that you cannot enter into an employment contract that pays less than minimum wage. And it also says that you can't sell yourself into slavery. Or your children. Your own children, can you imagine!

If your claim worked, then as the government increased it's control over private contracts peoples' lives would get better and better. But as you admit, and the reason for further loss of freedom, is because you perceive things are getting worse.

Right, because government is some sort of quantity that can be examined as if it were a commodity. How many government interferences are healthy in a day?

It's only true if my morals are correct. If you want to see between us who's morals are correct, you tell us your objective standard for your morals and we'll compare them to mine.

But, yeah, if it turns out my morals are correct then I'll always be right and you'll always be wrong.

I really don't see what this has to do with morality in the first place. Seems like an economic question, and only an indirectly moral question.

In the end what we find is that not having an objective standard for morals means you can never be sure if any policy you support is right or wrong.

Sometimes being sure is the enemy of knowledge.

Really. Objectively mistaken? By math?

Yes. Objectively mistaken, by the math.

Does increasing costs make a product more expensive or cheaper?

It can make a product more expensive. It doesn't always.

Then you've just given away the farm. If marginal costs increase, then they will have to respond somehow. In a highly competitive market, that doesn't include reduced profits enough to ignore the increase in costs.

Well, you'd be taking a hit to your profit margin. But you have to, because raising prices often causes you to make less money, which is even worse. You will note that the marginal costs don't appear on a demand curve at all, and that is because they do not directly impact the quantity that will be demanded at a given price. It's true that you may be forced to raise prices if your marginal costs rise, but if your business is making money, you have room to avoid that. And when you look at a business like fast food, which is one of the main offenders for paying low wages, you see very profitable businesses that do enough volume that any price increase would be pretty slow.

No, I'm stating business reality. In a highly competitive market, the only advantage one has over their competition is to control costs.

Yeah, they never bother with branding. Or product differentiation. Or advertising. Or anything else. Just squeezing the margins.

I wasn't clear. I meant all business would have their costs go up across the industry.

But that isn't necessarily true. I'll give you a practical example. McDonald's pays a fair percentage of their workers minimum wage. In-n-Out Burger pays a company-imposed minimum of $11/hour. If the government forces a minimum wage hike, McDonald's will have to raise many of their worker's wages, which will cut a lot deeper into their profits than In-n-Out, which may see some increase in costs from suppliers, but won't necessarily have to raise anyone's wages.

So the impact to McDonald's would be very different from the impact to In-n-Out. And businesses that are even further from paying minimum wage would be impacted even less. So your assumption that this impacts everything evenly across the economy is just plain wrong.

And don't forget, all monopolies exist by government protection. So don't be too quick to desire that businesses have low or no competition just so they can have profits to spread around sans a change in the way they do business.

All companies exist by government protection. The government doesn't tend to create the monopolies though.

Superfluous profit is profit made that can be spent on higher costs without changing the way one does business.

What profit isn't superfluous by that definition?

You failed the math portion of this conversation. The problem of employing people that cost more without a corresponding increase in productivity will have to be mitigated.

But that's exactly what you're missing. Not everyone costs more to employ. Only some people do, a fairly small percentage of the overall economy.

And when we look at the employment numbers, we see it means entry level workers get less work. Just as it always has.

Prove it. Show me the number on that, without cherry picking. I'll tell you that I've been through the unemployment figures, the GDP figures, and compared those to the points where we hiked the minimum wage, and as often as not, the unemployment curve bends down after a hike. So I would like you to show me the math, with actual numbers and graphs if possible, that supports your claim.

It's the general case. If you are this far out of touch with reality then you have no business addressing this subject.

It's pretty simple. McDonald's has a 19% (wow!) profit margin.
http://ycharts.com/companies/MCD/profit_margin

Do they have competitors?
Could they use some of that profit margin to cut their prices, and thus attack their competitors?

You think McDonald's and Burger King don't compete? What do you think it means to compete?

Of course they compete. They also cooperate, when it suits them. They just aren't trying terribly hard to eliminate each other. It wouldn't be in either of their best interests, because they would have to cut into their profits, and it isn't clear that either one could finally triumph and put the other out of business.

By the way, Burger King's profit margin is 28%.
http://ycharts.com/companies/BKW/profit_margin

And don't forget what companies have to do to be successful. They have to worry less about the competition and more about customers. But customers will choose the competition if costs are not controlled because that imbalance in costs will be shown in the value of the product. Whether costs are controlled to attract enough customers to put the competition out of business, or controlled enough to get more customers in general is irrelevant.

I'm not sure how you can be trying to drive someone from the market, and also be ignoring them.

Because, as mentioned, it would cost both of them their profits, and it isn't clear that there would be a clear winner even if they wiped out their entire profit margins.

Of course. Which is why mitigating a forced increase in cost will be responded to with any tool available. One of those tools, as math shows, will be higher unemployment for entry level workers.

Once again, prove it. The historical record is that higher unemployment is not reliably an outcome of raising the wage.

Then your previous claim is wrong.

No. You interpreted it incorrectly. You assumed that either they are trying to eliminate each other entirely, or not competing at all. That wasn't my claim. They compete in a way that no rational person would believe would eventually lead to the downfall of one or the other in the foreseeable future.

The way I suggest business act toward competition is the only way a business can stay in business.

No, it isn't.

whitestone

I'll agree they should get $15/hr. when they prove they actually want it.

lol.thats the part difficult for some to see,,once I heard a preacher preach about the needy and the responsibility of Gods children to to provide help for them,he preached about this Sunday,Wednesday and by the next Sunday morning he had me convinced that if they were to receive a substantial amount that morning then the poor around that small town would be helped,,it did I found it bought new office furniture,the church buildings were painted inside and out,the youth group had the money to go on a trip to the beach,and the women's group could afford to meet on Tuesday night supper for quite a while,,,but the poor I'm not sure about the poor,at times it's best to let them prove themselves,,,

bybee

lol.thats the part difficult for some to see,,once I heard a preacher preach about the needy and the responsibility of Gods children to to provide help for them,he preached about this Sunday,Wednesday and by the next Sunday morning he had me convinced that if they were to receive a substantial amount that morning then the poor around that small town would be helped,,it did I found it bought new office furniture,the church buildings were painted inside and out,the youth group had the money to go on a trip to the beach,and the women's group could afford to meet on Tuesday night supper for quite a while,,,but the poor I'm not sure about the poor,at times it's best to let them prove themselves,,,

"The poor you will always have with you...."
Our church has an Outreach committee which receives petitions from local charities for funds. All monies that are raised are distributed between the organizations including some scholarship money to individual students. Episcopal Rectors have discretionary funds to respond to immediate needs of individuals who seek help.
Not everyone in need is helped but some are helped.
It is a matter of doing what one can with what one has.

whitestone

Our church has an Outreach committee which receives petitions from local charities for funds. All monies that are raised are distributed between the organizations including some scholarship money to individual students. Episcopal Rectors have discretionary funds to respond to immediate needs of individuals who seek help.

"It is a matter of doing what one can with what one has.",,,I agree,I was in great expectation the poor in that town, children,men,women would have been taken to the beach,sat in the new furniture,invited to eat at the supper,they were not invited. If they would have then in the weeks following I would have sent contractors to paint that church and furniture ect. that is it would not have made sense to see those deacons and that preacher in need of a new roof,parking lot,ect. and not provide it.

Well I waited for a month or so and watched and then moved on to another church,it turned out worse as time went on I put a certain amount in, in private and as every Sunday they would post the tithes bills owed,in the entry way,,it was never added to the total collected so I moved on again.

Every church is not this way,there is a church where I am now going that every Saturday gives food to the poor in boxes(care packages),diapers,ect. several of them grow big gardens every year and give out the produce. the women sew blankets,mend clothes,gather clothes ect. there is even two of the men there who are mechanics at different businesses who donate their craft fixing the cars for the poor in their town,,,,,"it's the best time at the moment I have ever watched a church",,,these people are in a discussion over selling one of their church buses because they need the money worse in another spot,,,,,I think they will eventually need that bus,maybe another one.

bybee

"It is a matter of doing what one can with what one has.",,,I agree,I was in great expectation the poor in that town, children,men,women would have been taken to the beach,sat in the new furniture,invited to eat at the supper,they were not invited. If they would have then in the weeks following I would have sent contractors to paint that church and furniture ect. that is it would not have made sense to see those deacons and that preacher in need of a new roof,parking lot,ect. and not provide it.

Well I waited for a month or so and watched and then moved on to another church,it turned out worse as time went on I put a certain amount in, in private and as every Sunday they would post the tithes bills owed,in the entry way,,it was never added to the total collected so I moved on again.

Every church is not this way,there is a church where I am now going that every Saturday gives food to the poor in boxes(care packages),diapers,ect. several of them grow big gardens every year and give out the produce. the women sew blankets,mend clothes,gather clothes ect. there is even two of the men there who are mechanics at different businesses who donate their craft fixing the cars for the poor in their town,,,,,"it's the best time at the moment I have ever watched a church",,,these people are in a discussion over selling one of their church buses because they need the money worse in another spot,,,,,I think they will eventually need that bus,maybe another one.

That is wonderful! If the Church is not about outreach then it is not doing its job!

bybee

Evolutionists love straw man arguments.

Indeed! And our Rexie appears to believe that all people with even a modicum of wealth are evil, grasping, selfish souls?
Oh, and I almost forgot, he apparently believes they are racists as well?

PureX

You seem to have completely missed whitestone's point. Which was that the idea of making the needy justify themselves is very often used as justification for ignoring them. And you can see this plain as day in many of the posts on this thread.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Except this is a "point" Jesus himself never once made.
Evolutionists love arguments from silence.

:)

And our Rexie appears to believe that all people with even a modicum of wealth are evil, grasping, selfish souls? Oh, and I almost forgot, he apparently believes they are racists as well?

I think he was probably being somewhat sarcastic. :)

rexlunae

Evolutionists love straw man arguments.

Is that not the logical conclusion from the argument Y was making? What, in your mind, is the logical conclusion of the following?:

if a bigger government, or a government with more control, or as a government displaces freedom (all the same thing) made peoples' lives better then I'd be all for it. But in every case, and by general theory, and in this particular case, that's not true. We know that they are, in general, worse off in this case because you are asking the government to increase it's control over possible free contracts more than it already is.

Emphasis added.

rexlunae

Indeed! And our Rexie appears to believe that all people with even a modicum of wealth are evil, grasping, selfish souls?
Oh, and I almost forgot, he apparently believes they are racists as well?

Why do you find it necessary to misconstrue my arguments? Because there's no way you got that from anything I posted.