Feminism

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 5 solas

I saw this being discussed within another thread and thought it would be interesting to get it out in the open, so others can participate as well.

People seem to have varying definitions of what feminism is, in their minds and how they apply it to their lives. I would be interested to hear some of the various views by the men and women of this forum and how they live it out.

I am personally opposed to the secular concept of feminism and what is being pushed in our society. It is representative of a lust for power, usurping of authority and emasculation of the men. It has helped destroy the family unit by making women dissatisfied with their roles as wives and mothers, leading to the disintegration of society overall.

For me, it is a matter of equality with role distinctions, as laid out in the Scriptures.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I am personally opposed to the secular concept of feminism and what is being pushed in our society. It is representative of a lust for power, usurping of authority and emasculation of the men. It has helped destroy the family unit by making women dissatisfied with their roles as wives and mothers, leading to the disintegration of society overall.

It depends on what you see as feminism. As you saw from the exchange with chrys, there are a lot of ways to define feminism.

I'd disagree that a healthy feminism is a lust for power, usurping of authority or emasculation of the men.

For example, here's a different exchange:

I listened to Camping many years ago, and he taught that,
if a wife was being physically abused by her husband, she
should stay with him, no matter what!

But, you think the woman should sacrifice her immortal soul to avoid a few bruises? Maybe you know you're going to perish, so there's no point for you being anything but a hedonist?

According to Jabin, a woman should stay in an abusive marriage rather than divorcing, and he reduces abuse to "a few bruises." Mere collateral damage, in other words.

That kind of thinking shouldn't be part of any home, Christian or not. It destroys the family unit by giving the "head of the house" permission to abuse, it damages the body and spirit of the woman, and that abuse is heaped on the children as well, by likely having to endure their own physical abuse and emotionally by having to view the abuse of their mother at the hands of their father.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I saw this being discussed within another thread and thought it would be interesting to get it out in the open, so others can participate as well.

People seem to have varying definitions of what feminism is, in their minds and how they apply it to their lives. I would be interested to hear some of the various views by the men and women of this forum and how they live it out.

For me, it is a matter of equality with role distinctions, as laid out in the Scriptures.

Secular feminism is from the devil. It in spirit, opposes the biblical role of women given by God. :devil:

Secular feminism is wicked; it's true premise being that all men are bad, and out to oppress women. :devil:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Uh oh ... this thread is an open can of worms.

I always refer to Prolife Feminism ... http://www.feministsforlife.org/

My views on women is as follows:

A woman should define HERSELF and her role rather than allowing a man or society to define it for her.

There is no "one size fits all" in regards to women and what they are best suited for.

For women who have children, it is ideal IF she is able to be a SAHM. However, circumstances do not always allow for this. A single mother who is solely responsible for caring for her children can either set the example that people need to work hard to earn what they have ... or stay at home while others support them. I am for the stronger, responsible role model. For married couples, if the household requires a second income in order to provide a better life, then working outside the home for a woman is a possible necessity.

Where feminism comes into play for myself is understanding that I am not under the thumb of either gender insofar as how I am treated. No respect given means no respect received.

Due to rampant cases of child and spousal abuse as well as adultery, drugs, alcoholism, I wish to see women empowered so they never feel they have to stay in a relationship that hurts their children or them.

On the issue of abortion, abortion does not equal empowerment, and actually goes against everything a feminist should support. Killing the most precious part of oneself to appease a man or because it makes a woman's life easier is a cowardly (and selfish) way of dealing with what can be a difficult situation. It's giving in to doing the wrong thing because it's seems to be the easy way out.

Quite seriously, IF I were a business owner, and were privy to an applicants private life, the three things that would make me mark someone off the list as a potential employee would be abortion, domestic abuse and child abuse.

That's it in a nutshell. Any questions, feel free to ask.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I see what is commonly projected as feminism as nothing more than advocating a matriarchal society.

Paul advocated equality in Christ.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Secular feminism is from the devil. It in spirit, opposes the biblical role of women given by God.

Secular feminism is wicked; it's true premise being that all men are bad, and out to oppress women.

That's quite a generalization. I don't think all men are bad, not by a long shot. However, women have indeed been historically oppressed by men who exerted power over them in societies which allowed it without question.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It depends on what you see as feminism. As you saw from the exchange with chrys, there are a lot of ways to define feminism.

I'd disagree that a healthy feminism is a lust for power, usurping of authority or emasculation of the men.

For example, here's a different exchange:

According to Jabin, a woman should stay in an abusive marriage rather than divorcing, and he reduces abuse to "a few bruises." Mere collateral damage, in other words.

That kind of thinking shouldn't be part of any home, Christian or not. It destroys the family unit by giving the "head of the house" permission to abuse, it damages the body and spirit of the woman, and that abuse is heaped on the children as well, by likely having to endure their own physical abuse and emotionally by having to view the abuse of their mother at the hands of their father.

Well said ... and exactly. IMO, this is one of the main things that ignited feminism.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jabin ignited feminism?

Read her post, Nang. Not *him* directly, but attitudes like his ...

Here is what Anna was referring to:

Do you agree with what he said? IF so, then you are part of the problem. Anyone who put domestic abuse down to "a few bruises" as collateral damage does not value women ...

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Feminism is evidence of unbelief and rebellion against the will and word of God.

What ignites and fuels feminism, is women refusing the Godly commands in Genesis 3:16

They abort their children and usurp their husbands.

That is as devilish as anything can possibly be. :devil:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
There is no "one size fits all" in regards to women and what they are best suited for.

This is it, and also why feminism is so hard to pin down definition-wise.

Someone who sees "feminist" and immediately says "man-hater" has no idea what intricacies of thought go into holding a feminist view.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Feminism is evidence of unbelief and rebellion against the will and word of God.

What ignites and fuels feminism, is women refusing the Godly commands in Genesis 3:16

They abort their children and usurp their husbands.

That is as devilish as anything can possibly be. :devil:

Your opinion (which is based on willful ignorance) has been so noted.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
This is it, and also why feminism is so hard to pin down definition-wise.

Someone who sees "feminist" and immediately says "man-hater" has no idea what intricacies of thought go into holding a feminist view.

Yes, it has become a very intricate and complex wickedness. :devil:

It is not easy to rebel against the will and word of God. Such devilry takes lots of thought, scheming, lying, cover-ups, and time.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Yes, it has become a very intricate and complex wickedness.

It is not easy to rebel against the will and word of God. Such devilry takes lots of thought, scheming, lying, cover-ups, and time.

It's the will of God that women should be abused?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Your opinion (which is based on willful ignorance) has been so noted.

You sound like Tambora . . .

You women think you rule the roost, don't you? :devil:

Well, maybe you rule your roosts, but you don't rule me, and you will be judged for not listening to your Maker, and for being dismissive of those who speak for Him.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Such devilry takes lots of thought, scheming, lying, cover-ups, and time.

We can tell ... with every post you make.

After all, it does take some deliberate twisting and dishonesty to respond as you have when concerns have been so clearly laid out and explained.

Based on what I consider your dishonest response on this topic, we will just put you down as one of those that agrees with with Jabin:

Status
Not open for further replies.