Feminism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimrod

A woman should define HERSELF and her role rather than allowing a man or society to define it for her.

Translation: When a woman defines herself away from the Scriptures, and it turns out to be wrong. It is the man's fault.

Where feminism comes into play for myself is understanding that I am not under the thumb

This is how Rusha sees being under authority. Being under the thumb. Kind of like getting clubbed over the head with a baseball bat.

I work, I am under authority. I treat those above me with respect, and we all get along happy.

No respect given means no respect received.

Are there conditions that must be meet before respect given in the Scriptures?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think this statement has to bring into account my initial comments in this post.......feminism definitions vary hugely. I am not a feminist, but I do vote because I believe it to be my responsibility as a Canadian Citizen, etc. and I am legally able to vote. If I did not have the right to vote, I honestly would not be up in arms over it. I believe God is sovereign in all things, but that is another thread subject.

That statement was more aimed at people like Nang who intentionally and dishonestly misrepresent others but has no problem with taking advantage with the allowances that feminism has granted her.

If she hates it, she needs to cease voting in all elections and sit back and listen to men as they speak and just read their comments. Every time she disagrees with a man on TOL, she is violating her supposed standards.

Nimrod

The voting argument is weak.

I pay into Social Security. It is evil. It needs to go away. When I reach the age to receive, I will most certainly will take.

If Nang has the right to vote she can. You guys can't count? Is 2 greater than 1?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
The feminists have no moral grounds for their agenda, and because they cannot excuse or explain their devilish ways, they instead will bash Christians who point out the wickedness of their beliefs.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Translation: When a woman defines herself

You have an issue with it. Too bad.

This is how Rusha sees being under authority. Being under the thumb. Kind of like getting clubbed over the head with a baseball bat.

:chuckle: Your phrasing says more about you than it does about me.

I work, I am under authority. I treat those above me with respect, and we all get along happy.

That's ... interesting.

Are there conditions that must be meet before respect given in the Scriptures?

Since I didn't use scripture in anything I said, your question does not apply to me.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The voting argument is weak.

I pay into Social Security. It is evil. It needs to go away. When I reach the age to receive, I will most certainly will take.

If Nang has the right to vote she can. You guys can't count? Is 2 greater than 1?

If her belief is that it's wrong and unbiblical for women to vote, why would that matter? Does exercising a wrong make it right? Should she "do evil that good may result?"

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The feminists have no moral grounds for their agenda, and because they cannot excuse or explain their devilish ways, they instead will bash Christians who point out the wickedness of their beliefs.

But Nang, there are Christians who bash you more than they do me for your wickedness.

Don't let your bitterness and pride get in the way of a civil discussion. :)

The 5 solas

Every time she disagrees with a man on TOL, she is violating her supposed standards.

I disagree with this....as I disagree with many men on this board too. lol

Women, who are married, are to be under the authority of their husbands. All of us who are Christians are under the authority of their local church body and of the government...in so far that they do not ask us to go against the Word of God. We answer to God before men.

Having discussion or debate with people, men or women on a board such as this is not defying authority in any manner. No one on this board has authority over me, except the owner of the forum and the moderators who have been given such authority by the forum owner...as long as I choose to participate here, they have that authority. Nang is in no way sinning by disagreeing with people on this board. There can be sinful attitudes, actions or words...but the act of disagreement itself, cannot be classed as sin.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
People seem to have varying definitions of what feminism is, in their minds and how they apply it to their lives. I would be interested to hear some of the various views by the men and women of this forum and how they live it out.

My concern stems from a desire to see justice everywhere. I do not consider myself a feminist but I strive to protect the oppressed and weak, just as the Lord exhorts us all to do.

I know that some feminists seek independence of women from men and I believe that is wrong. They should be working together, each with the abilities, strengths and weaknesses God has given them.
But that is hardly a problem in our society. The real problem is the abuse and prejudice against women everywhere. And although, in terms of institutions, Islam ought to be labelled as the single greatest culprit of abuse against women today, the Christian church is certainly not without a great deal of blame itself and some of its attitudes still need to be redressed.
I'd hasten to add that the Bible has nothing to do with it, other than indirectly inasmuch as people distort the Bible for their own selfish ends. I'm actually doing a series of 'talks' on this subject at my church over the summer. I might post them later (which is convenient as all my 'talks' have to be written out word for word or else they don't get 'talked'!)
Cheers.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
If her belief is that it's wrong and unbiblical for women to vote, why would that matter? Does exercising a wrong make it right? Should she "do evil that good may result?"

It is not evil to use your own wicked means to oppose your wickedness.

Hate to tell you, but you cannot dismiss your enemies by insisting they have the right to vote, but should not vote against you.

:loser:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I never said healthy feminism, I said secular concept of feminism...which to me is one that is ungodly.

Nor did I say that you did. However, secular can still be moral - and healthy. I don't dismiss it out of hand simply when it's secular.

I do not think anyone should stay in an abusive relationship. This is not what God intended a marriage should be.
Agreed. However, many men have interpreted their Godly role as justifying abuse, which is even worse, since they use God as an excuse for doing evil.

The ideal is of course, a godly man married to a godly woman, who are putting Christ first in their lives. In this God is glorified and the woman is cherished, protected and honoured. If I said that to a secular feminist, I am sure she would have words for me.
Not necessarily. I think that's a rather unfair generalization.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It is not evil to use your own wicked means to oppose your wickedness.

Hate to tell you, but you cannot dismiss your enemies by insisting they have the right to vote, but should not vote against you.

:loser:

Poor Nang. She thought she was going to be vilified by feminists, but it was her own behavior she was predicting.

Again, if you believe voting to be wrong and unbiliblical and you do it anyway, you're not practicing what you preach. No amount of dissembling on your part changes that fact.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I disagree with this....as I disagree with many men on this board too. lol

Women, who are married, are to be under the authority of their husbands. All of us who are Christians are under the authority of their local church body and of the government...in so far that they do not ask us to go against the Word of God. We answer to God before men.

Having discussion or debate with people, men or women on a board such as this is not defying authority in any manner. No one on this board has authority over me, except the owner of the forum and the moderators who have been given such authority by the forum owner...as long as I choose to participate here, they have that authority. Nang is in no way sinning by disagreeing with people on this board. There can be sinful attitudes, actions or words...but the act of disagreement itself, cannot be classed as sin.

I didn't use the word sin ... and I am under no obligation to accept a religious argument.

Also, I do not accept the word authority (in relationship to a significant other/husband) as used in the English language:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/authority

au·thor·i·ty
noun \ə-ˈthär-ə-tē, ȯ-, -ˈthȯr-\

: the power to give orders or make decisions : the power or right to direct or control someone or something

: the confident quality of someone who knows a lot about something or who is respected or obeyed by other people

: a quality that makes something seem true or real

The power to control has been misused, and apparently *some* feel that should be swept under the rug. We know that is how Jabin sees it (see one of Anna's first post in this thread) and apparently Nang, since she did not see anything wrong with what he stated, agrees as well.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
My concern stems from a desire to see justice everywhere. I do not consider myself a feminist but I strive to protect the oppressed and weak, just as the Lord exhorts us all to do.

I know that some feminists seek independence of women from men and I believe that is wrong. They should be working together, each with the abilities, strengths and weaknesses God has given them.
But that is hardly a problem in our society. The real problem is the abuse and prejudice against women everywhere. And although, in terms of institutions, Islam ought to be labelled as the singlest greatest culprit of abuse against women today, the Christian church is certainly not without a great deal of blame itself and some of its attitudes still need to be redressed.
I'd hasten to add that the Bible has nothing to do with it, other than indirectly inasmuch as people distort the Bible for their own selfish ends. I'm actually doing a series of 'talks' on this subject at my church over the summer. I might post them later (which is convenient as all my 'talks' have to be written out word for word or else they don't get 'talked'!)
Cheers.

Well said. I'd be interested to read your talks when you post them.

I might disagree somewhat with your views on independence, but I'll wait to hear you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.