ECT For Baptists and non-denom evangelicals

musterion

A question for those who do not believe water baptism has anything to do with salvation but is a practice that (for whatever reason) should be followed by every believer.

If someone professes faith in Christ's death, burial and resurrection for his/her sin and justification, but for some reason that person does not want to submit to water baptism, is he/she sinning? Or is it a matter on which saved people are at liberty to disagree according to their consciences and readings of Scripture?

If you believe water baptism is some means of grace or otherwise necessary to salvation, please exercise self-control and do not answer; the question is not for you.

andyc

A question for those who do not believe water baptism has anything to do with salvation but is a practice that (for whatever reason) should be followed by every believer.

If someone professes faith in Christ's death, burial and resurrection for his/her sin and justification, but for some reason that person does not want to submit to water baptism, is he/she sinning? Or is it a matter on which saved people are at liberty to disagree according to their consciences and readings of Scripture?

If you believe water baptism is some means of grace or otherwise necessary to salvation, please exercise self-control and do not answer; the question is not for you.

It's to do with public confession of Christ. Jesus said, "he who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."

Someone who believes, will want to be seen to be surrendering their life to Christ in front of witnesses (1Tim 6:12).

musterion

It's to do with public confession of Christ. Jesus said, "he who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."

Someone who believes, will want to be seen to be surrendering their life to Christ in front of witnesses (2Tim 2:2).

You didn't answer the question.

Is someone who has believed the Gospel of the grace of God sinning if they don't want water baptism?

andyc

You didn't answer the question.

Is someone who has believed the Gospel of the grace of God sinning if they don't want water baptism?

They are rebelling against Jesus' instruction. To him who knows to do good (like obey Jesus) and does not do it, to him it is sin.

musterion

They are rebelling against Jesus' instruction. To him who knows to do good (like obey Jesus) and does not do it, to him it is sin.

See, this is why you were not supposed to answer the question to begin with -- you believe salvation is not possible apart from your style of water baptism. But you lack the self-control to conduct yourself and not be rude.

Cross Reference

Someone who believes, will want to be seen to be surrendering their life to Christ in front of witnesses (1Tim 6:12).

In this will he learn this to be the initial testimony of Jesus.

andyc

See, this is why you were not supposed to answer the question to begin with -- you believe salvation is not possible apart from your style of water baptism. But you lack the self-control to conduct yourself and not be rude.

That's not what I said, was it?
Salvation is believing on Jesus from your heart for the forgiveness of sins. I also wasn't rude. If water baptism is instructed by Jesus, refusing to is .......disobedience. No need for me to add anything else, agree or disagree. It doesn't change the facts.

andyc

Is one who refuses water baptism saved, given they have believed the Gospel of grace?

Of course. I was saved for 4 years before being water baptized. But when I understood that it was something Jesus instructed me to do, I did it. And I have very fond memories of it.

musterion

Of course. I was saved for 4 years before being water baptized. But when I understood that it was something Jesus instructed me to do, I did it. And I have very fond memories of it.

That's not the same thing, Andrew. You were always open to the idea and (I guess) intended to get around to it someday, so you did.

I'm talking about a believer who REJECTS all need and purpose of water baptism and REFUSES to submit to it. Is THAT person saved?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Invalid question.

Baptism does not regenerate souls, so not being baptized has nothing to do with not being raised to new spiritual life.

Should regenerated believers be baptized to witness to God's grace and bring glory to His name? Yes.

andyc

That's not the same thing, Andrew. You were always open to the idea and (I guess) intended to get around to it someday, so you did.

I'm talking about a believer who REJECTS all need and purpose of water baptism and REFUSES to submit to it. Is THAT person saved?

Yes a person can be saved. But to reject Jesus' instructions is to fall prey to doctrines of devils.

Cross Reference

Hypothetical questions foster pointless arguments.

TIPlatypus

The way I see it, baptism is a symbol of being cleansed. I see no problem with it. It is not necessary for being saved, it is just the done thing. Perhaps if putting your head underwater would kill you or if you were in the middle of the desert, it would be a bad idea to be baptised, but it doesn't matter.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Invalid question.

Baptism does not regenerate souls, so not being baptized has nothing to do with not being raised to new spiritual life.

Should regenerated believers be baptized to witness to God's grace and bring glory to His name? Yes.

Yes it is a signication of death and resurrection....

OCTOBER23

No they are Not Sinning by NOT getting baptized

but they are not going to get the Comforter either

by disobeying God.