ECT For Baptists and non-denom evangelicals

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I believe Paul was talking about water baptism when he said we are buried with Him in baptism wherein ye are also raised with Him through faith of the operation of God who hath raised Him from the dead

musterion

I believe Paul was talking about water baptism when he said we are buried with Him in baptism wherein ye are also raised with Him through faith of the operation of God who hath raised Him from the dead

Baptism basically means when something is placed into or intimately identified with something else, to the point they are now inseparable. Believers are spiritually baptized (identified with) Christ when they are placed into/identified with Him in His DEATH (Rom 6:3). It was not a symbol or a picture -- that identification with Him in His death IS COUNTED BY GOD AS REAL. No water is required for that, nor was any Jewish water rite in the OT or the NT so identified as a likeness His death.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Baptism basically means when something is placed into or intimately identified with something else, to the point they are now inseparable. Believers are spiritually baptized (identified with) Christ when they are placed into/identified with Him in His DEATH (Rom 6:3). It was not a symbol or a picture -- that identification with Him in His death IS COUNTED BY GOD AS REAL. No water is required for that, nor was any Jewish water rite in the OT or the NT so identified as a likeness His death.

It is as Nang says a testimony

Truster

It's to do with public confession of Christ. Jesus said, "he who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."

Someone who believes, will want to be seen to be surrendering their life to Christ in front of witnesses (1Tim 6:12).

I wanted to be baptised as soon as possible after my conversion, but the pastor of the evangelical church I visited allowed the time to drag on and it was 18 months on that I was baptised. I now know that he was a hireling and a blind guide. Does this bother me in the slightest? No.

At 10:30am on July 17th 1999 I received the inner baptism of the Holy Spirit and in that baptism I was sealed.

Christian Liberty

A question for those who do not believe water baptism has anything to do with salvation but is a practice that (for whatever reason) should be followed by every believer.

If someone professes faith in Christ's death, burial and resurrection for his/her sin and justification, but for some reason that person does not want to submit to water baptism, is he/she sinning? Or is it a matter on which saved people are at liberty to disagree according to their consciences and readings of Scripture?

If you believe water baptism is some means of grace or otherwise necessary to salvation, please exercise self-control and do not answer; the question is not for you.

They are sinning because the Biblical command is really clear.

Christian Liberty

Invalid question.

Baptism does not regenerate souls, so not being baptized has nothing to do with not being raised to new spiritual life.

Should regenerated believers be baptized to witness to God's grace and bring glory to His name? Yes.

paedobaptism refuted;)

JosephR

when you are baptized with fire...choices are out of the question...if iniquity is found in you,it shall be destroyed,and what is left is pure...

HisServant

God bestows his spirit on his children and baptizes them with fire and the Holy Spirit, just as John the Baptist foretold and is recorded in scripture.

I believe that those that confuse the above with water baptism are plainly not the children of God because they think some sort of obedient act (above and beyond the singular act that Jesus performed) will somehow grant them extra favor from God.

In the end, it is very CULTISH behavior and I find it very troubling that so much division and wasted time arguing about what other people do... it is also a tactic that Satan loves so much.

God is going to be who he is and is going to work out his will in mysterious ways... to try and put him in a box is very dangerous.

This Charming Manc

That is extrabiblical human tradition. The water baptisms submitted to during the Gospels and Acts, as practiced in the Bible, are nowhere said to be symbolic of anything.

ROMANS 6:3-18
COLOSSIANS 2:11-13
1 PETER 3:20-22

Inadvisable, why? What's the risk?

I think its advisable to do what the lord asks me, required probably not because he is gracious, but wouldn't it be rude not to?

john w

Hall of Fame
Mads do not have the words of Jesus abiding in them. If they did they would do what he said.

"do what he said"-andycain

Like selling all you have, taking a flight to Jerusalem 3 times/year, to observe the appointed times, including your favorite, Pentecost, like you obviously do?

john w

Hall of Fame

"buried with him in baptism," not "buried like him in baptism,"

The bible is a book of details.