ECT Gennao

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
That's not what scripture says. After we are led to repent by God's grace The Holy Spirit regenerates our dead spirits giving us new life from God who justifies us, giving us the righteousness of Christ. Thus we are accepted by God and forgiveness is ours on the basis of the shed blood of Christ. Being born again was a teaching well known in rabbinical literature. Every rabbi would have been familiar with it. Nicodemus would've known that there were six ways in which a man could be born again. Jesus was using terms that He knew Nicodemus would know and that's all there is to it. It was a term employed in Jewish teaching. Jesus used the same method in His parables and one of the basic rules of hermeneutics is that you never build a doctrine on a parable because it's open to too many interpretations, cults do it regularly. Every Christian is an adopted child not a begotten child, that's what scripture says. Show me a verse that says that we are begotten. You have mis-interpreted the words of Jesus by not being familiar with the background. BTW an adopted child has every right to call God his/her father or as Paul says Abba.

Jesus said that God is our Father the same as God is his Father. (John 20:17)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Being born again was a teaching well known in rabbinical literature. Every rabbi would have been familiar with it. Nicodemus would've known that there were six ways in which a man could be born again.

The expression "born again" is not in the KJV version of the Hebrew Bible. What version are you using?

StanJ

Thanks, but our revpete was referring to rabbinical teachings of which some are based on the Hebrew Bible.

Seems you posted this twice, but the oldest extant version of the OT is the LXX, which is in Greek as well. Not sure where he would get the idea that Born Again would be in the OT no matter what language it was in?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Show me a verse that says that we are begotten.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. (1 Peter 1:3 NKJV)​

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Not sure where he would get the idea that Born Again would be in the OT no matter what language it was in?

I don't know where he got the idea that anyone in the OT was born again of the Spirit. Hebrews says, "And all these, having obtained a good testimony through faith, did not receive the promise." (Hebrews 11:39 NKJV)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The word "gyne" has two meanings, it can refer to a wife or to an unmarried woman. The correct meaning must be determined by the context in which it is used.

The word "gennao" has two meanings, it can refer to being begotten or it can refer to being born. The correct meaning must be determined by the context in which it is used.

In 1 John 5:18 gennao is translated both as begotten and born.

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not, but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself and that wicked one toucheth him not. (1 John 5:18 KJV)​

We have not yet been born of the Spirit.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I disagree.

We are born of the Spirit when we confess Jesus as our savior and receive His Spirit. Rom 8:9

Jesus said those born of the flesh are flesh and those born of the Spirit are spirit. It's easy for a person to tell which they are because flesh bleeds and spirit doesn't.

We are begotten by the Spirit through the laying on of hands and born of the Spirit at the first resurrection when we become as Christ is.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (Romans 8:9 NKJV)​

We are in the Spirit spiritually but in the flesh physically. When Jesus was in the flesh he bled. With his mind he and we are spiritual and the flesh is temporary.

DAN P

I don't know where he got the idea that anyone in the OT was born again of the Spirit. Hebrews says, "And all these, having obtained a good testimony through faith, did not receive the promise." (Hebrews 11:39 NKJV)

Hi-and-it-is-found-in-Isa66:8-and-in-John3:3-which-still-OT!!!!

dan-p

StanJ

Jesus said those born of the flesh are flesh and those born of the Spirit are spirit. It's easy for a person to tell which they are because flesh bleeds and spirit doesn't.

We are begotten by the Spirit through the laying on of hands and born of the Spirit at the first resurrection when we become as Christ is.

If you're referring to John 3:6 (NIV), that's not exactly what Jesus said. Maybe read it again to see. In context it makes complete sense.

We become AS Christ is, when we confess Him. We are NOT begotten of the Spirit. I don't know where you get this thought from?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
If you're referring to John 3:6 (NIV), that's not exactly what Jesus said.

Yes, I like the NIV but I realize it is an interpretive translation not a literal translation.

gennaō ek sarx esti sarx kai gennaō ek pneuma esti pneuma

born of flesh is flesh and born of spirit is spirit

That which is born of the flesh is flesh and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (John 3:6 KJV)

Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. (John 3:6 NIV)