Golan Heights Oil - Israel wants it!

WizardofOz

Which section?

The international community considers the establishment of Israeli settlements in the Israeli-occupied territories illegal under international law,[1][2][3][4][5] however Israel maintains that they are consistent with international law[6] because it does not agree that the Fourth Geneva Convention applies to the territories occupied in the 1967 Six-Day War.[7] The United Nations Security Council, the United Nations General Assembly, the International Committee of the Red Cross, the International Court of Justice and the High Contracting Parties to the Convention have all affirmed that the Fourth Geneva Convention does apply.[8][9]

Numerous UN resolutions have stated that the building and existence of Israeli settlements in the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Golan Heights are a violation of international law, including UN Security Council resolutions in 1979 and 1980.[10][11][12] UN Security Council Resolution 446 refers to the Fourth Geneva Convention as the applicable international legal instrument, and calls upon Israel to desist from transferring its own population into the territories or changing their demographic makeup. The reconvened Conference of the High Contracting Parties to the Geneva Conventions has declared the settlements illegal[13] as has the primary judicial organ of the UN, the International Court of Justice[14] and the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Israel claims the 4th Geneva Conventions doesn't apply. The rest of the world asserts that it does.

Does that tell you something? Will my independent analysis of the particular section sway you?

And when have the Arab countries given half-a-rat's-hind-end about the Geneva Conventions?
:liberals:
I'm not sure what that has to do with the discussion. Do you give a rat's-hind-end? Does the United States?

ISIS beheads civilians. Should we do the same?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
wiki said:
Israel states it has a right to retain the Golan, citing the text of UN Resolution 242, which calls for "safe and recognised boundaries free from threats or acts of force".[1

israel is still in a state of war with syria

that would be a good place for the morons at the UN to start

bybee

The international community considers the establishment of Israeli settlements in the Israeli-occupied territories illegal under international law,[1][2][3][4][5] however Israel maintains that they are consistent with international law[6] because it does not agree that the Fourth Geneva Convention applies to the territories occupied in the 1967 Six-Day War.[7] The United Nations Security Council, the United Nations General Assembly, the International Committee of the Red Cross, the International Court of Justice and the High Contracting Parties to the Convention have all affirmed that the Fourth Geneva Convention does apply.[8][9]

Numerous UN resolutions have stated that the building and existence of Israeli settlements in the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Golan Heights are a violation of international law, including UN Security Council resolutions in 1979 and 1980.[10][11][12] UN Security Council Resolution 446 refers to the Fourth Geneva Convention as the applicable international legal instrument, and calls upon Israel to desist from transferring its own population into the territories or changing their demographic makeup. The reconvened Conference of the High Contracting Parties to the Geneva Conventions has declared the settlements illegal[13] as has the primary judicial organ of the UN, the International Court of Justice[14] and the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Israel claims the 4th Geneva Conventions doesn't apply. The rest of the world asserts that it does.

Does that tell you something? Will my independent analysis of the particular section sway you?

:liberals:
I'm not sure what that has to do with the discussion. Do you give a rat's-hind-end? Does the United States?

ISIS beheads civilians. Should we do the same?

I consider the United Nations to have become an anti-American organization and as such nothing it decrees is valid to me.
If a country wins a war, which it did not start, then it, historically, has the right to claim the territory.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
If a country wins a war, which it did not start, then it, historically, has the right to claim the territory.
Bunk. I have seen this asserted but it is simply another way of saying might makes right. Should the US have kept Japan?

WizardofOz

I consider the United Nations to have become an anti-American organization and as such nothing it decrees is valid to me.

Not sure why everyone is hung up on the UN. The United States doesn't recognize the Golan Heights as being Israeli land so the UN being "anti-American" is irrelevant.

Do you support the Geneva Conventions or were they anti-American?

brewmama

Bunk. I have seen this asserted but it is simply another way of saying might makes right. Should the US have kept Japan?

Do you think Japan should get back all the territory they lost at the end of WW2?

main-qimg-00b93ac198dcde8dbe45829e25094e63

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Not sure why everyone is hung up on the UN. The United States doesn't recognize the Golan Heights as being Israeli land so the UN being "anti-American" is irrelevant.

Do you support the Geneva Conventions or were they anti-American?

I support common sense. Israel conquered the Sinai in 1973 but they gave it back in a negotiated agreement with Egypt that still stands to this day intact.
Israel conquered the Golan in 1967 because Syrian forces were using it or allowing it to be used to lob shells onto Galilean towns whenever they felt like it. The Golan is sparsely populated but militarily of great importance. If Syria were interested in getting it back, they would have negotiated something like Egypt did. Common sense says that Israel did not start these wars. Common sense says that it is wrong to shell civilian populations just for the fun of it. Common sense says that since Syria weren't interested in getting it back, the Golan belongs to Israel. Israel have annexed it anyway so at least their intentions are clear in claiming sovereignty over it.

I note however, with some cynicism that although over the years there have been a few random rumours of more talks, these have never come to fruition but now that there is oil there, suddenly everyone is saying that Israel don't deserve to be there. Israel annexed the area in 1981, long before any talk of oil. So all those who say that Israel want to usurp the territory to get the oil are just plain liars and gossip mongerers.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Why is there no news coverage about this? Why is it not being reported upon as part of the Syrian mess? The Golan Heights is part of Syria.

Foxfire

Why is there no news coverage about this? Why is it not being reported upon as part of the Syrian mess? The Golan Heights is part of Syria.

Assad certainly has bigger problems to worry about just trying to hang on to what he still has.

Regaining ground lost from Israeli conquests half a century ago is really just small potatoes.

Foxfire

With the degree to which Syria has crumbled into chaos, of late, I really don't expect to see Israel surrender the Golan Heights over to ISIS anytime soon, nor would I expect to see any world wide media condemnation of that.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Why is there no news coverage about this?

Because not everybody is as anti-semitic as you.

At the beginning of this thread you said:

Why aren't we seeing media coverage on this topic? In early October a massive oil find was announced in the Golan Heights. Israel wants to claim the Golan Heights as part of its territory.

You failed to respond to my reference to actual history, in which I drew your attention to the fact that Israel already annexed the Golan in 1981. So your original question and the spin you try to put on it (my bolding) displays both total ignorance and wilful anti-semitism. Fortunately, even the leftist anti-semitic media outlets don't descend to this kind of depth. At least they check their facts first, mostly.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
You failed to respond to my reference to actual history, in which I drew your attention to the fact that Israel already annexed the Golan in 1981.
Which was condemned by the rest of the countries in the UN, the US included. Actual history is that everyone but Israel deems the heights to be part of Syria.

drbrumley

Israeli Commandos Rescue Wounded Islamic Jihadists
Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

So they can live to kill another day against the anti-Islamic jihadist Assad. Got that straight? (Thanks to Daniel McAdams)
:hammer:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Which was condemned by the rest of the countries in the UN, the US included. Actual history is that everyone but Israel deems the heights to be part of Syria.

None of which answers the question. And indeed implies that you lied trying to prove Israel was immoral. I'd have more respect for you if you admitted that you were wrong to state Israel wants to claim the Golan when they already claimed it 34 years ago. Only then can we talk about whether Israel was right to annex the Golan in 1981. Your call.

drbrumley

None of which answers the question. And indeed implies that you lied trying to prove Israel was immoral. I'd have more respect for you if you admitted that you were wrong to state Israel wants to claim the Golan when they already claimed it 34 years ago. Only then can we talk about whether Israel was right to annex the Golan in 1981. Your call.

Netanyahu’s False Narrative

:doh:

But declassified high-level documents from Britain, France, Russia and the United States reveal that Egypt, Syria and Jordan were not going to attack Israel and Israel knew it. In fact, they did not attack Israel. Instead, Israel mounted the first attack in order to decimate the Egyptian army and take the West Bank.

Oops!!!!!

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
i believe israel has been interested in the golan heights since before October

besides, they could easily slant drill it from uncontested territory

Nothing contested about it, the one that possesses & is able to defend said land is the rightful owner, the previous owner lost it in a gun fight. The Golon is the sole possession of Israel unless Syria thinks they can take it back by force...good luck with that.

drbrumley

Nothing contested about it, the one that possesses & is able to defend said land is the rightful owner, the previous owner lost it in a gun fight. The Golon is the sole possession of Israel unless Syria thinks they can take it back by force...good luck with that.

Yep, seems about right. Might makes right in the world we live.