Honest lawyer?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's a money maker.
And that money takes precedence over justice.
But that's a fault in many professions.
It's not a fault to value money in a business (but obviously not at the cost of justice). The real issue is that lawyering shouldn't be a business. It wrecks justice.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

WizardofOz

He'll take your money whether the accusation is false or not.

What could he say at the trial that you could not say yourself?

How about how to file a motion or how to know when you object to certain aspects of the prosecution? Does the layperson know how and when to do these things? :idea: Being a lawyer is a trained still just like a plumber or a carpenter.

Do you do your own electrical work or do you call in a professional? :think:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
How about how to file a motion or how to know when you object to certain aspects of the prosecution? Does the layperson know how and when to do these things? :idea: Being a lawyer is a trained still just like a plumber or a carpenter.

Why is any of that necessary?

If two or three witnesses (not necessarily eyewitnesses) are enough to establish a matter, as God says, and if the law is simple, then would not the best system have a judge, the witnesses, the accuser, and the accused only?

Lawyers are only needed when the law is complex and many volumes thick, as our current law is, which makes it difficult for the average person to know all the laws.

If the law is simple, then there is no need for lawyers, because everyone knows what the law says, or a the very least, is aware of all the laws.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

An electrician or a plumber does and knows things that the average person does not know about. So, accordingly, if the law has many things that the average person does not know about, then sure, I would call a lawyer to deal with a court case.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I'm pretty sure that in most jurisdictions the accused can refuse counsel.

Just like any skilled position. The more skilled the practitioner the more they charge...:think:

Which leads to a conflict of interest.

The goal is justice. Bribery leads to injustice.

fool

Hall of Fame
An electrician or a plumber does and knows things that the average person does not know about.
Yes, they know the plumbing and electrical codes which are laws. When the Plumbing or electrical inspector cites a violation the code section they're citing is part of a law.
Fire Marshall's have badges and guns.
A building Inspector can evacuate and padlock your building.
That's why you hire a plumber or electrician who is licensed to practice plumbing or electricianing, so that you don't accidentally break the law.
Same with an accountant or a lawyer, they just specialized guys with licenses who do stuff for people. Make sure they're done right.
So, accordingly, if the law has many things that the average person does not know about, then sure, I would call a lawyer to deal with a court case.
Good idea.

fool

Hall of Fame
It's not bribery, it's a dynamic of a free market. The better someone is at their craft, the more in demand they are and the more they charge for their time. I am not sure why you referred to this as "bribery". :idunno:

Perhaps he's referring to criminal cases where OJ gets a dream team and a poor kid gets a PD fresh out law school who has four hours to spend on his case.

Cause that's a thing, the Innocence Project has found a lot of that.

fool

Hall of Fame
Perhaps he's referring to criminal cases where OJ gets a dream team and a poor kid gets a PD fresh out law school who has four hours to spend on his case.

Cause that's a thing, the Innocence Project has found a lot of that.

Whereas a plumber has to make the pipes to code for poor and rich people alike.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Because knowing tactics should not be important in the pursuit of justice.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
skilled in how to manipulate the corrupt system in which they work

which makes them corrupt in turn (or attracts those who are already corrupt)
That's what happens when you treat justice like a business: People get into it for the cash.

Justice is one of the few necessary functions of government. The state should be in control, not the free market.

Why do liberals get these things so horribly mixed up all the time?