How to argue

TIPlatypus

I was wondering if we could perhaps come up with some structure to debates and arguments.

For example, posting only relevant things, not being anti-intellectual, not avoiding questions (i.e. saying, "But this is not relevant").

I also think that commentary on the Bible is a bit redundant. A prime example is when people say things like:

Genesis 1:1 says, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Therefore God created time.

Any further suggestions?
It would make things so much easier.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was wondering if we could perhaps come up with some structure to debates and arguments.

For example, posting only relevant things, not being anti-intellectual, not avoiding questions (i.e. saying, "But this is not relevant").

I also think that commentary on the Bible is a bit redundant. A prime example is when people say things like:

Genesis 1:1 says, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Therefore God created time.

Any further suggestions?
Taking all the fun out of it.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I consider discussing Truth and standing for Truth and revealing Truth to be vital to the health of all believers and the church of Jesus Christ.

Such discussion should never devolve into entertainment or made into a laughing matter.

When ungodly enemies enter into discussion of the Truth, no scriptural punches should be pulled, and the sons of God must give answer from the Word of God; rightly dividing the word of God with sound exegesis, allowing every scripture presented to be scrutinized and compared with ALL scripture.

Unfortunately, that high spiritual level of discussion is hard to find on TOL, for the enemies of God are unscriptural, louder, illogical, and very supportive of each other.

Genuine Christians are the minority in life, society, and on the internet . . . so be it.

Discussions should not be entered into with an attitude of competition or determining a "winner."

True, faithful, Christianity is not NFL football . . .

Nang

TOL Subscriber
so basically, scripture reference for every point you make?

This is (supposedly) a theological site, so I would say yes; a scriptural basis should be provided for any Christian witness or argument presented.

However, other open subjects are allowed on TOL, such as politics.

Very few political discussions center upon the word of God, and deal little with Godly Truth, so there would be small chance of hoping that would ever happen.

(Frankly, I do not think politics and theology mix well, but that is just my IMO.)

OCTOBER23

Platypussy is trying to give Structure to TOL .

Good luck with that furry face.

You had better learn how to DUCK !!

TIPlatypus

O dear. Just some things are really annoying. People who say something means the opposite of what it does, or paraphrasing when it is not necessary. These are the worst crimes on here.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
One approach to a petulant or abusive person on a message board is to use something called "love and logic." It's a method of dealing with kids, and it takes all the fun out of baiting or arguing for the sake of argument. Worth reading.
http://www.amazon.com/Parenting-Teens-With-Love-Logic/dp/1576839303

For dealing with someone a little farther up on the food chain, you might want to read this:

shopping

Listen. Hear what he's saying. Listening often exposes the emotional content of your opponent. The temptation is to use that exposure to nail him. "Set the hook" in the author's terms. Which is probably not what you want to do, unless your opponent is an incorrigible jerk. Instead, listen to what's really bothering him and address that. My experience is that it's O.K. to strongly assert your message, and later address the emotional content. Often, your opponent will be pleasantly surprised to know that you aren't trying to demolish him (although you might be trying to demolish his argument) and will respond with logic instead of fury.

And be willing, from time to time, to accept that you can be wrong, and say so. Amazing what a well-timed concession will to do make everyone more reasonable.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
One approach to a petulant or abusive person on a message board is to use something called "love and logic." It's a method of dealing with kids, and it takes all the fun out of baiting or arguing for the sake of argument. Worth reading.
http://www.amazon.com/Parenting-Teens-With-Love-Logic/dp/1576839303

For dealing with someone a little farther up on the food chain, you might want to read this:

shopping

Listen. Hear what he's saying. Listening often exposes the emotional content of your opponent. The temptation is to use that exposure to nail him. "Set the hook" in the author's terms. Which is probably not what you want to do, unless your opponent is an incorrigible jerk. Instead, listen to what's really bothering him and address that. My experience is that it's O.K. to strongly assert your message, and later address the emotional content. Often, your opponent will be pleasantly surprised to know that you aren't trying to demolish him (although you might be trying to demolish his argument) and will respond with logic instead of fury.

And be willing, from time to time, to accept that you can be wrong, and say so. Amazing what a well-timed concession will to do make everyone more reasonable.

This OP seemed to have thought he could merely start a thread discussing improvement of human tactics in debate, and thereby revise the Christian faith and witness.

What a joke . . .

I hope he learns such is impossible.

TIPlatypus

Well, I sorry for coming across as being too specific. The love and logic idea sounds nice. Improving tactics also sounds nice. Also, I live in the hope that one day some seriously constructive debating will happen. It is not impossible. I have seen it happen (not here though, I am still quite new so do not take this as a judgement). Those people who manage to be constructive have my respect.

Truster

Any further suggestions?

But this is not relevant.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was wondering if we could perhaps come up with some structure to debates and arguments. For example, posting only relevant things, not being anti-intellectual, not avoiding questions (i.e. saying, "But this is not relevant").

What would the evolutionists be able to say then? :idunno: