Hurting People On TOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Should one, while posting on tol, be sensitive to the emotional fragility of others and post in such a manner as to be sensitive to their feelings?
Absolutely.

and no, i'm not talking about deliberately picking at a sore spot, like a disability or loss in the other poster's past

i'm talking about the normal type of discourse that has been happening on tol for the past fourteen years, where those with bizarre beliefs and behaviors, resistant to gentle language and persuasion, persist in their nonsense

iow, is truthsmacking passe?

Truth smacking is never accomplished with petty comments and toss of insults. It can only be accomplished with well reasoned positions offered in a respectful manor. That does not mean that you can't call a hypocrite a hypocrite or a heretic a heretic. It does mean that repeatedly calling people "tards" is not truth smacking, it is simply childish.

GFR7

I guess I also agree that truth smacking is best accomplished by persistently setting forth the truth , but by avoiding personal fights (which only make persons less receptive). I also feel that I am an either/or type: I must remain calm, or I really become enraged and then I am of no use to anyone (if I in fact ever am ;) )

glorydaz

Should one, while posting on tol, be sensitive to the emotional fragility of others and post in such a manner as to be sensitive to their feelings?

and no, i'm not talking about deliberately picking at a sore spot, like a disability or loss in the other poster's past

i'm talking about the normal type of discourse that has been happening on tol for the past fourteen years, where those with bizarre beliefs and behaviors, resistant to gentle language and persuasion, persist in their nonsense

iow, is truthsmacking passe?

Hurt em now so they don't hurt later. That's my motto.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I guess I also agree that truth smacking is best accomplished by persistently setting forth the truth , but by avoiding personal fights (which only make persons less receptive). I also feel that I am an either/or type: I must remain calm, or I really become enraged and then I am of no use to anyone (if I in fact ever am ;) )

how can one engage in a "fight" online?

doesn't a "fight" take two?

or more?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How quickly this went from: "Can't we all get along" to: "You're insane." :chuckle:

GFR7

how can one engage in a "fight" online?

doesn't a "fight" take two?

or more?
what I mean is I become a raging , foul-mouthed psychotic when I get mad,
and I would be banned. So I stay sweet as a lil kitten :D

Anthony-Perkins-in-Psycho-005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.