If pot should be banned.. so should alcohol.

MarcATL

Alcoholics love alcohol more than life itself.

Anything that can be said as an argument against marijuana can be said in spades as an argument against alcohol consumption in all its forms (e.g. beer, wine, liquor).
No drug has done more harm in this world than alcohol has and continues to inflict. Yet, there are many self-proclaimed Christians who proudly declare that they engage in beer drinking on a daily basis.

MarcATL

Back in the early 80's when I worked on an oil rig, the driller was stoned and ended up killing two of my co-workers because he wasn't paying attention and his reaction time was too slow.

And like I said, if there were as many pot users as alcohol users, I have no doubt the numbers would be similar.
All indications lead to the number of weed smokers dwarf that of, if not equate, alcohol consumers.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No drug has done more harm in this world than alcohol has and continues to inflict. Yet, there are many self-proclaimed Christians who proudly declare that they engage in beer drinking on a daily basis.

As well as cigarettes and their link to SIDS.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Brother Tom, have you seen Bill O'Reilly's argument on the matter?

:think: Well...I remember when he got all flustered because the Times called for legalization. I just looked that back up....The same type of disconnect from actuality I see whenever someone tries to make the case for prohibition. At least in his case he seems okay with decriminalization...I can't really fault that.

bybee

All indications lead to the number of weed smokers dwarf that of, if not equate, alcohol consumers.

Personally? I prefer reality. I want to be able to react swiftly on my own behalf and on the behalf of others should danger present.
Once, we had a "Peeping Tom". My mother looked up and let out a shriek. My Dad grabbed a baseball bat and was out the front door before we even knew what was happening. The peeper took a flying leap over the fence with my dad right behind him. The neighbor came out at the same time and both gave chase.
The guy got away but we were all unnerved by the incident.
Still, we had the comfort of knowing that our dad would protect us.

I was an Operating Room Nurse for many years. You had to have quick reaction time because anything could and did happen.
If I had thought for one moment that any colleague of mine was drinking alcohol or toking on the job I'd have turned them in immediately. My first duty was to my patient.
And my very first duty was to my children. They deserved the best I could give them.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
Dopers love dope more than life itself.

Alcoholics love alcohol more than life itself.

Anything that can be said as an argument against marijuana can be said in spades as an argument against alcohol consumption in all its forms (e.g. beer, wine, liquor).

Without a doubt alcohol abuse runs rampant in the United States (it's our "if it feels good do it" mentality).

You don't help a vice ridden society by opening up the floodgates to the drug culture, people who are the misfits of society and who have no other purpose in life than to get high.

But please, toke away until you can't toke no more.
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20120910/marijuana-tied-to-testicular-cancer

Daniel1611

As a former drug addict, my opinion is that all drugs be decriminalized. The drug war is not stopping drug use and turns nonviolent users into violent criminals if they go to jail. I was never arrested, praise God. But I know of people who were nice people that had drug problems that became hardened criminals because of jail. The illegality of drugs only hurts and doesn't help anyone. It empowers drug lords and hurts society in general. Decriminalize and make treatment more easily available. Addiction treatment is ridiculously expensive. I know first hand.

shagster01

It would OK with me if they banned both Pot and Booz.

But folks have a right to enjoy within reason.

I considered Pot for pain but that only substituted one drug for another. I have seen families destroyed by booze and drugs. I think the world would be just fine without them.

Your laws would have made Jesus a criminal at that wedding. But, hey, you're probably more righteous Jesus anyway, right?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
As a former drug addict, my opinion is that all drugs be decriminalized. The drug war is not stopping drug use and turns nonviolent users into violent criminals if they go to jail. I was never arrested, praise God. But I know of people who were nice people that had drug problems that became hardened criminals because of jail. The illegality of drugs only hurts and doesn't help anyone. It empowers drug lords and hurts society in general. Decriminalize and make treatment more easily available. Addiction treatment is ridiculously expensive. I know first hand.

Why former? In one dope thread a drug addict was comparing smoking dope to drinking water. Surely you haven't quit drinking water as well?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Your laws would have made Jesus a criminal at that wedding. But, hey, you're probably more righteous Jesus anyway, right?

What the doper is saying is that Jesus Christ, the Son of God/God in the flesh pushed alcohol on a crowd that had enough to drink already, thus making Jesus irresponsible.

shagster01 is living proof of what happens when marijuana is decriminalized.

shagster01

What the doper is saying is that Jesus Christ, the Son of God/God in the flesh pushed alcohol on a crowd that had enough to drink already, thus making Jesus irresponsible.

No. What I'm saying is that people who want alcohol criminalized are trying to be more righteous than, arguably, the greatest oenophile of all time (Jesus).

People who want to pass laws that would make Jesus an illegal bootlegger if he were here today are a little crazy.

Daniel1611

Why former? In one dope thread a drug addict was comparing smoking dope to drinking water. Surely you haven't quit drinking water as well?

Drugs are bad news. Jail isn't the way to fix it though. People have to want to get clean. If they don't, and want to kill themselves with drugs, let them. Get drugs off the black market though so the violence ends.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:

No. What I'm saying is that people who want alcohol criminalized are trying to be more righteous than, arguably, the greatest oenophile of all time (Jesus).

People who want to pass laws that would make Jesus an illegal bootlegger if he were here today are a little crazy.

I see that you've backed off from your earlier stance which basically said that Jesus Christ is the world's most famous drug pusher to making him the world's most famous sommelier.

Either pick up the Bible with the intention of learning the truth from it or leave it the hell alone.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:

Drugs are bad news.

So let's legalize them!

Jail isn't the way to fix it though.

Court ordered therapy rarely means jail time anymore unless there are other circumstances involved (crimes committed while under the influence of marijuana, i.e. killing a family of 5 while driving high on dope).

Marijuana playing larger role in fatal crashes
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/06/09/marijuana-accidents/10219119/

Now this is where you dopers say "But but but, alcohol related deaths are more!"

And I respond with: Alcohol has been legal for much longer and is used (and thus abused) more by our vice ridden society. Give dopers time to catch up.

People have to want to get clean. If they don't, and want to kill themselves with drugs, let them.

Your compassion for your fellow man is so... so Libertarian of you.
The American criminal justice system is designed to help people, i.e. it says "The lifestyle that you're leading is destructive", we as a society expect better from you."

Get drugs off the black market though so the violence ends.

And let the government take over as drug pusher and be responsible for the violence that inherently comes with drug use/abuse.

Tell me, is there a black market for dope in states like CO and WA, two states that have recently legalized it? (the answer is yes).

So much for the article that you read in High Times being truthful.

shagster01

Quote:

I see that you've backed off from your earlier stance which basically said that Jesus Christ is the world's most famous drug pusher to making him the world's most famous sommelier.

Either pick up the Bible with the intention of learning the truth from it or leave it the hell alone.

I'm talking about THIS topic. In THIS topic who he made wine for is irrelevent. The fact that he made wine at all is all that matters for THIS topic.

shagster01

Quote:

So let's legalize them!

Court ordered therapy rarely means jail time anymore unless there are other circumstances involved (crimes committed while under the influence of marijuana, i.e. killing a family of 5 while driving high on dope).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/06/09/marijuana-accidents/10219119/

Now this is where you dopers say "But but but, alcohol related deaths are more!"

And I respond with: Alcohol has been legal for much longer and is used (and thus abused) more by our vice ridden society. Give dopers time to catch up.

The American criminal justice system is designed to help people, i.e. it says "The lifestyle that you're leading is destructive", we as a society expect better from you."

And let the government take over as drug pusher and be responsible for the violence that inherently comes with drug use/abuse.

Tell me, is there a black market for dope in states like CO and WA, two states that have recently legalized it? (the answer is yes).

No. It's the part where I remind you that you can test positive for marijuana weeks after using it and being high.

Imagine how "alcohol related accidents" would apparently spike if that beer showed on toxicology tests a month after you drank it.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm talking about THIS topic. In THIS topic who he made wine for is irrelevent. The fact that he made wine at all is all that matters for THIS topic.

As this article says, it was Jewish tradition and the wine that Jesus made was fermented.

http://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-drink-wine.html

Note also that intoxication is biblically forbidden and that drinking alcoholic beverages is not inherently sinful.

Show me a doper that says that he doesn't smoke to get high (intoxicated) and I'll show you a liar.

Daniel1611

Quote:

So let's legalize them!

So...you have no examples of how the drug war is helping. They want to keep drugs out of the country and peoples homes, but they can't even keep them out if prisons! The drug war should be ended if only for it',s sheer inefficiency and gross failure. No other agency is even remoteky as inefficient as the DEA. It needs to go.

The drug war does nothing by artificially drive up the price if drugs thus increasing profit motive and power of drug lords and turn nonviolent drug users into hardened criminals. Oh, and it sure makes tons if money for the prison industrial complex. Only an extreme statist can support the drug war because of their irrational thought process and love of fascism. The drug warriors are gross statists that support this program only because they love extreme concentration of government power. The drug war needs to go, and it's supporters need to just for the Fascist Party if the United States and be honest about their extreme statism.