I'm Just here to offset Cruciform

Refractive

I hate to post this, I think "One Post Wonder" is such a great designator, I'm afraid it'll disappear with my next post.

I didn't join to put anyone down or convert anybody or make trouble, but trouble will ensure, it's pretty much inevitable, though I try to avoid ad hom, myself. I fail, too often, but I try.

Anyway, I think only one part of the story of my faith is getting much play around here and I wanted to be sure another Catholic voice, equally stubborn, is heard.

The job of my Church is this: to proclaim the Gospel. That's pretty much it really. The Gospel is: Love one another.

There's a bunch more, but, it's mostly commentary on how that works. Of course, for us, it's all about Jesus Christ, but loving one another will ineluctably lead all to Him, so there ya go.

Okay, nice to see y'all, :wave2: off to await Cruc telling me I'm a cafeteria not-really-Catholic. We're gonna have some fun, now.

Ref

John Mortimer

GREAT to see you! :thumb:

Cruciform is enough to turn anyone against the Catholic Church.

There are some great Catholics here, though.

Were you born into the Catholic faith?

Quincy

You're just here to offset Cruciform? Just like he is only here to post information about Catholicism and not discuss it. Man I am dumbfounded. I used to love Catholics, I thought you guys were passionate.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I hate to post this, I think "One Post Wonder" is such a great designator, I'm afraid it'll disappear with my next post.

I didn't join to put anyone down or convert anybody or make trouble, but trouble will ensure, it's pretty much inevitable, though I try to avoid ad hom, myself. I fail, too often, but I try.

Anyway, I think only one part of the story of my faith is getting much play around here and I wanted to be sure another Catholic voice, equally stubborn, is heard.

The job of my Church is this: to proclaim the Gospel. That's pretty much it really. The Gospel is: Love one another.

There's a bunch more, but, it's mostly commentary on how that works. Of course, for us, it's all about Jesus Christ, but loving one another will ineluctably lead all to Him, so there ya go.

Okay, nice to see y'all, :wave2: off to await Cruc telling me I'm a cafeteria not-really-Catholic. We're gonna have some fun, now.

Ref

Hey....that's cool. I'm just here to offset TH 'cuz I'm not really a Lawyer. :)

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
You're just here to offset Cruciform? Just like he is only here to post information about Catholicism and not discuss it. Man I am dumbfounded. I used to love Catholics, I thought you guys were passionate.

:shut: Must....not.....make....jokes...

Nimrod

The Gospel is: Love one another.

It is rare to see a Catholic define what the Gospel is.

As you can see why. Your answer conflicts with Scripture.

1 Cor. 15 "Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you— unless you believed in vain.
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures"

The Gospel message is what God has done for us, and we are to believe.

Krsto

So the publicans (despised tax collectors) were living the Gospel?

"For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?"

InHope

Ref

Do you know Cruciform from some other site? I'm a little confused about why you're choosing to call someone out in your first post...

It's good to have more Catholic voices here, though, so welcome--- especially if your posts prove to reflect the simple rule of "love one another."

Refractive

Were you born into the Catholic faith?
I am a convert. Makes me a bit of a fanatic about my faith. My curmudgeonisitic tendencies balance that out, however.

Hi, Dena! I see you are a Jewish Conversion student. At one point when I was going through conversion to Catholicism, it occurred to me that Catholics have more in common with Jews than we do with Protestants. Except the Jesus part, of course.

Well, not "just," but his "I'm back and here are my conditions" post did inspire me to join. I wasn't going to stalk him, or anything. I discuss. I opine, pontificate and also whine from time to time. I try not to obfuscate but sometimes that's a function of being illiter-ate. <--tryin' to make it rhyme

Refractive

welcome to TOL

would you be willing to discuss homosexuality in the priesthood?
Sure, what shall we say? Some folks are gay. Of those, some are priests. Make a thread, post a link, I'll join you. What's the actual topic, though? (great site - y'all get right down to it)

Refractive

It is rare to see a Catholic define what the Gospel is.

As you can see why. Your answer conflicts with Scripture.

1 Cor. 15 "Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you— unless you believed in vain.
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures"
That's the Gospel of Paul, I was talkin' about the Gospel of Jesus. Aren't the Protestants the ones whose job it is to preach Paul's Gospel?

So the publicans (despised tax collectors) were living the Gospel?

"For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?"
Yup, you get right to it. Now, post the surrounding verses and you'll answer your own question......

It's good to have more Catholic voices here, though, so welcome--- especially if your posts prove to reflect the simple rule of "love one another."
I wish they would always. I pray God graces me with some bit of wisdom and a great deal of humility. So far, I still have this darned thorn in my side......

I'm not here to call anyone out and I don't take too much that seriously. It was a kind of joke, but I thought it would define me pretty succinctly.

Krsto

I opine, pontificate and also whine from time to time. I try not to obfuscate but sometimes that's a function of being illiter-ate. <--tryin' to make it rhyme

I try to pontificate from time to time, but not being a Catholic it just doesn't seem to work too well. :chuckle: Whining seems to be rather universal so I'll try to do more of that.

Quincy

Well, not "just," but his "I'm back and here are my conditions" post did inspire me to join. I wasn't going to stalk him, or anything. I discuss. I opine, pontificate and also whine from time to time. I try not to obfuscate but sometimes that's a function of being illiter-ate. <--tryin' to make it rhyme

*nods slowly* and rhyme it did. Well, anyways, welcome. :e4e:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
If you're pro-life, pro-traditional marriage, anti-liberation theology, anti-liturgical abuse, and obedient to the teaching magisterium, welcome.

If not... then not so much.

:e4e: