I'm Just here to offset Cruciform

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I like Cruciform! Am I the only one?

He's hard core, old school, Catholic. (my impression, not saying I'm any sort of Catholic expert) Because of that, I find his posts interesting even when I disagree. I'm sure my grandmother would LOVE him. :)

-------------------------

Welcome refractive.

(latest Catholic issue on my mind follows: )
Two weeks ago I went to my uncle's funeral at a Catholic church. They prayed the rosary. Holy Mary Mother of God there a LOT of beads on a rosary. :) Sorry... It was really long.

Why do they do pray the rosary at a funeral? The priest didn't really explain it. It was interspersed with short scripture readings, which the priest suggested non-Catholics should focus on.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...I'm a cafeteria not-really-Catholic...
Cruciform insists on being judged by his works--so he will be (Is 64:6). All men receive justice or mercy. He chooses the former (Jude 11, Re 20:11). Christians will appear at the Bema seat (1 Cor 3:12).

"...[A] concept held by many...is I'm not good enough now to live with God, but if I just work a little harder, I'm sure that one day I will arrive--by loving my neighbor and doing the best I can.

"...[This view] ignores the atonement of Jesus Christ and his perfect righteousness. By His death He once and for all takes away all of our sin, and by His perfect obedience in this life He clothes us with His righteousness so that we are instantly made perfect to stand in the presence of God through the righteousness of Christ alone." Kennedy, pg. 170.

john w

Hall of Fame
It is rare to see a Catholic define what the Gospel is.

As you can see why. Your answer conflicts with Scripture.

1 Cor. 15 "Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you— unless you believed in vain.
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures"

The Gospel message is what God has done for us, and we are to believe.

Exactamundo. The LORD God cannot "love" anyone into His presence.

Samstarrett

Oh, sorry, can't help myself. I am part Irish too ya know. The Sicilians have come up with a fine pizza so I guess you do have something to be proud of.

I'm not actually Sicilian. I'm calabrese. But Calabria was part of the Regno delle Due Sicilie too. We, by the way, were the richest of the preunitary Italian states before the Risorgimento, essentially the conquest of the rest of the peninsula by Sardinia. Since then the Sud(south) has been a poor backwater and to be called meridionale or Borbonico(both essentially meaning southern) has come to be an insult. So don't ask me to celebrate Giuseppe Garibaldi.

Krsto

I'm not actually Sicilian. I'm calabrese. But Calabria was part of the Regno delle Due Sicilie too. We, by the way, were the richest of the preunitary Italian states before the Risorgimento, essentially the conquest of the rest of the peninsula by Sardinia. Since then the Sud(south) has been a poor backwater and to be called meridionale or Borbonico(both essentially meaning southern) has come to be an insult. So don't ask me to celebrate Giuseppe Garibaldi.

Well darn, I figured Garibaldi must be an important fellow since they named a whole fishing village in Oregon after him where my grandma ran a restaurant, but then that's Oregon for ya. It's the only state where your grandma can buy pot at the store and get a physician to assist in her suicide all in the same day, all done legally. So I guess the Sardinians have had a bad influence here as well. But the real deciding factor in all this is - can they make a good pizza, or did the Sicilian pizza come from another?

Spitfire

Anyway, I think only one part of the story of my faith is getting much play around here and I wanted to be sure another Catholic voice, equally stubborn, is heard.
I don't know who or what your sources regarding the situation here have been, but, for your information, there are and have been other Catholics here besides Cruciform. :p So, I don't think you needed to be too worried about that in particular.

WandererInFog

He's hard core, old school, Catholic. (my impression, not saying I'm any sort of Catholic expert) Because of that, I find his posts interesting even when I disagree.

Interesting. I'd actually gotten the impression from his posts that he was more of a conservative than a traditionalist type.

Spitfire

Interesting. I'd actually gotten the impression from his posts that he was more of a conservative than a traditionalist type.
Very, very few people are well enough informed to make that distinction. There are indeed some very significant differences, but most people assume that one is basically the same as the other.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Exactamundo. The LORD God cannot "love" anyone into His presence.
God can be as kind to you as He pleases.

Romans 2:4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I hate to post this, I think "One Post Wonder" is such a great designator, I'm afraid it'll disappear with my next post.

I didn't join to put anyone down or convert anybody or make trouble, but trouble will ensure, it's pretty much inevitable, though I try to avoid ad hom, myself. I fail, too often, but I try.

Anyway, I think only one part of the story of my faith is getting much play around here and I wanted to be sure another Catholic voice, equally stubborn, is heard.

The job of my Church is this: to proclaim the Gospel. That's pretty much it really. The Gospel is: Love one another.

There's a bunch more, but, it's mostly commentary on how that works. Of course, for us, it's all about Jesus Christ, but loving one another will ineluctably lead all to Him, so there ya go.

Okay, nice to see y'all, :wave2: off to await Cruc telling me I'm a cafeteria not-really-Catholic. We're gonna have some fun, now.

Ref
Welcome to the fray!

When you have the time, search out posts by fellow Catholic Evoken. You would do well to emulate this man's witness for that which he holds dear. Evoken is a man that Cruciform would do well to aspire to in his efforts.

AMR

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Originally Posted by Vaquero45
He's hard core, old school, Catholic. (my impression, not saying I'm any sort of Catholic expert) Because of that, I find his posts interesting even when I disagree.

" (my impression, not saying I'm any sort of Catholic expert) "

:D

I wont argue with you, I'd guess you are right and I'm wrong here.

My family used to be Catholic, my grandmother was especially zealous. I was only maybe 10 years old when we went charismatic, lol, so I didn't get real deep into it obviously.

John Mortimer

Welcome to the fray!

When you have the time, search out posts by fellow Catholic Evoken. You would do well to emulate this man's witness for that which he holds dear. Evoken is a man that Cruciform would do well to aspire to in his efforts.

AMR

Oh NO!!! :jawdrop:

I find myself in agreement with AMR.... what's happening??!! :dizzy:

Refractive

If you're pro-life, pro-traditional marriage, anti-liberation theology, anti-liturgical abuse, and obedient to the teaching magisterium, welcome.

If not... then not so much.

:e4e:
Well, let's see. I am pro-life. That means I am anti-war, anti-death penalty, anti-torture under any circumstances, anti-animal cruelty, mindless exploitation of the environment and also what you meant by that.

I am not pro "traditional" marriage, I am pro-Sacramental marriage. I am also pro-separation of Church and state and think civil unions are a dandy idea long overdue and have a hard time believing any person of Christian compassion could possibly oppose them.

I have no idea what you, personally, mean by "liberation theology." I am pro-Jesus Christ.

As for liturgical abuse, not that fussed about it. What you call abuse, I might call one wonderful Spirit-filled celebration of Christ. At one of the most memorable Masses I was ever blessed to attend, the deacon was half-naked and so were the musicians, all were in Native American dress and the music was almost all drumming. It was presided over by the Archbishop, who was, thankfully, not half-naked. He incensed using sage and sweetgrass in a clam shell using an eagle feather fan. It was held in the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception. I generally prefer my Masses a bit more on the conservative side, but this was an amazing spiritual experience.

As for the whole obedient to the teachings of the Magesterium, well, I can't imagine that "obedience" is something I'd ever strive for. Understanding, yes.