I'm out!

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
I'm out! Its been fun. To those of you with whom I've spent time conversing and sharing, I'll miss you, and wish you all the best. I'm still sober, the family is better than ever, and the wife and I have found a new joy in each other. Knight, thank you for this awesome place, and thank you for allowing those of us without faith the ability to speak in this forum. Take care, alll! :cool:

Josh

fishrovmen

I have a question Mr. Deets
In this blog you say "I prayed for any and everything I could think of to hold on to what I had."
"In that time, my only comfort was my two best friends and my parents. My best friends would call me every day on three way and just listen to me and let me cry. I found strength in my friends and family. In that time, I had the realization that IF god was there, I didn’t need him. I need to hear someone tell me ‘it’s going to be okay’. I needed to be told I was loved. God cannot and has not done that other than through the bible, which at one point was sufficient."

My question is this:
In the time that you prayed hard and only found comfort in your friends and family, why is that not evidence right there of God answering your prayer?
Can not an invisible Spirit comfort you through the words and hugs of mortals?
Just something to think about.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
fishrovmen;bt4009 said:
My question is this:
In the time that you prayed hard and only found comfort in your friends and family, why is that not evidence right there of God answering your prayer?
Can not an invisible Spirit comfort you through the words and hugs of mortals?
Just something to think about.
It is a fair question. That being said I'd rather give the credit to those who actually helped me, namely my friends. I will concede that it could have been a god(or God)who made my friends call me and offer comfort and love, but without proof, why take credit from my friends? It doesn't make any sense to me.

fishrovmen

Can a tree or building or car or any inanimate object talk with you, touch you, listen to you, feel what you are feeling?
Do we not as humans use pre-written greeting cards, famous quotes, memes from the internet to express our feelings to others?
Do those recipients then seek out the original authors to give them full credit ?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Hi Mr. Deets,

Just to let you know, a question you asked sparked a desire in me to find as many answers as possible. The question was; "IF god were real, why would he spend so much time in white America answering the minutia of prayer he receives while leaving so many millions to starve to death or watch their children starve?" Great question. Thanks for inspiring me.

I have collected 12 different biblical answers and am cataloguing and expanding them now. You can see them on TOL - I started a thread called God and Evil.

You have probably heard them all before and they are no longer convincing for you. Not so for me; I think they are wonderful answers and they make perfect sense from a Paradise Lost point of view.

For what it is worth, I am convinced we will see each other in the new heaven/earth and that your name is written in the Lamb's book of life. I am not an expert but I suspect your present difficulty is not with God but with not coming to grips with the sinfulness of good people. Even though we are Christians and have had the sin problem dealt with once and for all, we are still sinners and wrestle with that every day. If we had reached perfection we would all agree on every point of doctrine - ha, what a joke that is!

I count myself fortunate that I am able to let it go. What if God, in teaching us humility, saves us all the same way, but allows our still damaged minds and heart to be exercised with peculiar vanities that will only be expunged upon leaving this world? Let Aunt Martha have her holy water if it comforts her; we do not have to agree.

God takes complete responsibility for the starving, the dying, the millions we should be helping but don't. Some do partner with God in helping them in their small way and will receive a greater weight of glory; but most don't. Your problem is with these imperfect people - not with God.

God bless.
George

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Thanks!!

I haven't been around for awhile, but I wanted to thank you for the note. I appreciate you taking the time and thought that you obviously have. I will definitely check out that thread. :e4e:

Josh

George Affleck;bt4233 said:
Hi Mr. Deets,

Just to let you know, a question you asked sparked a desire in me to find as many answers as possible. The question was; "IF god were real, why would he spend so much time in white America answering the minutia of prayer he receives while leaving so many millions to starve to death or watch their children starve?" Great question. Thanks for inspiring me.

I have collected 12 different biblical answers and am cataloguing and expanding them now. You can see them on TOL - I started a thread called God and Evil.

You have probably heard them all before and they are no longer convincing for you. Not so for me; I think they are wonderful answers and they make perfect sense from a Paradise Lost point of view.

For what it is worth, I am convinced we will see each other in the new heaven/earth and that your name is written in the Lamb's book of life. I am not an expert but I suspect your present difficulty is not with God but with not coming to grips with the sinfulness of good people. Even though we are Christians and have had the sin problem dealt with once and for all, we are still sinners and wrestle with that every day. If we had reached perfection we would all agree on every point of doctrine - ha, what a joke that is!

I count myself fortunate that I am able to let it go. What if God, in teaching us humility, saves us all the same way, but allows our still damaged minds and heart to be exercised with peculiar vanities that will only be expunged upon leaving this world? Let Aunt Martha have her holy water if it comforts her; we do not have to agree.

God takes complete responsibility for the starving, the dying, the millions we should be helping but don't. Some do partner with God in helping them in their small way and will receive a greater weight of glory; but most don't. Your problem is with these imperfect people - not with God.

God bless.
George