Is Perspecuity Necessary for Sola Scriptura?

glassjester

For sola scriptura to be true, must Scripture be perspicuous?

My immediate instinct would be "yes," Scripture must be clear to the average reader in order for It to be used as the sole or final determination of all doctrine and practice.

It seems we couldn't rely on sola scriptura, if Scripture was unclear to most readers, on doctrinal or practical matters.

So - does sola scriptura necessitate perspecuity?

Truster

The Bible is a will and testament. A will can be read by anyone, but only the heirs can benefit. Benefiting from the revealed will is obtained by understanding and this is achieved by the anointing that teaches us* all things.

Us* the regenerate children.

iouae

For sola scriptura to be true, must Scripture be perspicuous?

My immediate instinct would be "yes," Scripture must be clear to the average reader in order for It to be used as the sole or final determination of all doctrine and practice.

It seems we couldn't rely on sola scriptura, if Scripture was unclear to most readers, on doctrinal or practical matters.

So - does sola scriptura necessitate perspecuity?

If the Bible was clear - we would not 2000 years later be debating it.

Paul wrote like a university lecturer. Half the NT is like a university textbook.

Even Peter went "Huh?"

Throw in the the fact that we have an Old Testament and a New Testament to add confusion.

There is almost nothing one can assume that all on this forum agree on.

That said, I am all for Sola Scriptura :)
Its that or get your cult leader to interpret the Word for you.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
PS the heirs cannot write themselves into a will.

Being written into the will is offered to all.

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

glassjester

If the Bible was clear - we would not 2000 years later be debating it.

Paul wrote like a university lecturer. Half the NT is like a university textbook.

Even Peter went "Huh?"

Throw in the the fact that we have an Old Testament and a New Testament to add confusion.

I agree.

That said, I am all for Sola Scriptura :)
Its that or get your cult leader to interpret the Word for you.

Right, here's where (and I don't mean to offend, here) sola scriptura doesn't seem to work. If the Bible is not properly understood by most readers, then how can you, as an individual, be sure that you've understood any particular passage in the "right" way?

Wouldn't it be much, much more likely, statistically, that you're one of the vast majority who's got it wrong?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Wouldn't it be much, much more likely, statistically, that you're one of the vast majority who's got it wrong?

Understanding truth is the responsibility of the Holy Spirit. Many are called but not many are chosen to have understanding.

We must prove all things and go with what we prove to be true.

Cruciform

That said, I am all for Sola Scriptura :) Its that or get your cult leader to interpret the Word for you.
The apostles and their successors (the bishops) authoritatively interpreted the OT Scriptures on behalf of the early Christian Church (Ac. 16:4; 2 Thess. 3:4; 1 Jn. 4:6). Were the apostles, then, "cult leaders"? :think:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I do not understand...

1. Whether it explicitly teaches all doctrine and practices.
2. Where it teaches the doctrine of sola scriptura.
3. Whether 1 is necessary for 2.

(3 being the focus of this particular thread)

Paul says the bible is able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus

..is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

The doctrine should be God's word only....no other book contains God's word.

Cruciform

Paul says the bible is able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus...is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
Actually, Paul says that it's specifically the Old Testament that is "useful" for this. Hardly a ringing endorsement of sola scriptura. :nono:

brewmama

Paul says the bible is able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus

..is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

It's profitable, yes. You realize it's the Old Testament he's talking about, right? So you must not use the New Testament.

And where, pray tell, does he say it's the only thing to listen to? He doesn't, quite the opposite. He says hold fast to the traditions.

No one disagrees that the Bible is not necessary. But to claim it's the only thing is unbiblical and just flat out wrong.