Is the Desert just another Ocean?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I do not see how this is better than hoping for Sharia Law.

An appeal to incredulity is a logical fallacy.

Separation of church and state is the reason this democracy has lasted as long as it has.

Do you think that only secular people should have a say in how their government acts?

If not, then "separation of church and state" is just words.

If so, however, then your government is guaranteed to break down much quicker.

Skeeter

Banned
An appeal to incredulity is a logical fallacy.
Again this kind of statement is not an appeal to incredulity. I am not claiming that something is false simple because it is hard to believe. I am being tentative and suggesting that Right Diviner draw a distinction about what he advocates.

Your knee-jerk reference to flaws in logic come off as illogical at times. Very ironic. You can do better.
Do you think that only secular people should have a say in how their government acts?
Of course not. Citizens can vote their conscience based on whatever they please. Representatives, however, are tasked to make rational decisions based on evidence. If their decisions are based on superstition, they can be rightfully removed.

Last edited:

Skeeter

Banned
Does that include nearly 100 million babies murdered before they had a shot at making it in the world?
Yes. Contraception would be preferable, but prevention of the birth of unwanted children is a necessary evil that brings about a greater good. A fetus in the first trimester is little more than the idea of a person.

Skeeter

Banned
A vague and false accusation.
This is very specific. Here, Judge suggests I made a claim that I did not. He calls out the error of appeal to incredulity which is a flaw in logic. Such an error is clearly not present. This is the second time he claimed as such with me. What is not specific enough for you?

Last edited:

Skeeter

Banned
I do not believe I ate at McDonalds in 2021 is not an appeal to incredulity. It would be a knee-jerk reaction to call someone on it just because the the phrase I do not believe is used. Capeesh?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... prevention of the birth of unwanted children is a necessary evil that brings about a greater good ...
If you believe that is true, then logically you should believe that prevention of the continuance of life of unwanted children (post-birth) should be allowed as well
A fetus in the first trimester is little more than the idea of a person.
I suppose that depends on how you define "person", which is why I prefer to avoid that sort of language.

A fetus in the first trimester is a genetically unique human life.

Skeeter

Banned
If you believe that is true, then logically you should believe that prevention of the continuance of life of unwanted children (post-birth) should be allowed as well
No I do not. Slippery slope arguments are weak.

I suppose that depends on how you define "person", which is why I prefer to avoid that sort of language.
Okay
A fetus in the first trimester is a genetically unique human life.
True. Every egg could paired with a sperm. Eggs are unique human precursors and potential human lives in a similar sense.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
No I do not.
I knew you would say that
Slippery slope arguments are weak.
It's not a slippery slope argument. It's applying YOUR criteria - "a necessary evil that brings about a greater good" - to the same situation, separated only by at least six months and the location of the genetically unique human life.
Eggs are unique human precursors ...
No. The unique feature occurs at conception.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Again this kind of statement is not an appeal to incredulity.

"I do not see how...." makes whatever you say next an appeal to incredulity BY DEFINITION.

I am not claiming that something is false simple because it is hard to believe.

You were claiming, by your appeal to incredulity, that a Christian Theonomy would be the same as or worse than Sharia Law.

Your claim, aside from being fallacious, is wrong.

I am being tentative and suggesting that Right Divi[d]er draw a distinction about what he advocates.

You quoted me, not RD, in the post that I was responding to.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Yes. Contraception would be preferable,

What would be even more preferable is if people didn't have sex outside of marriage. Then contraceptives wouldn't be needed except for married couples who don't want to have kids, but still want to have sex (as weird as that would be)

but prevention of the birth of unwanted children

There should be no such thing as an "unwanted child."

is a necessary evil that brings about a greater good.

Do not do evil that good may come of it.

That's something Paul taught. He was right.

A fetus in the first trimester is little more than the idea of a person.

Life begins at conception. This is established medical fact.

The baby in the womb is the same person the moment after conception as he is at his death bed 90 years later.

Skeeter

Banned
I knew you would say that

It's not a slippery slope argument. It's applying YOUR criteria - "a necessary evil that brings about a greater good" - to the same situation, separated only by at least six months and the location of the genetically unique human life.
That is not the only criterion. Stage of development and location are very relevant as well.
No. The unique feature occurs at conception.
Unique features pop up through- out the course of development. I think it's fair to treat a fetus in the first trimester similar to how we would treat an egg and a fetus in the third trimester similar to how we treat an infant.