Is White Privilege Real?

glassjester

No, you simply don't have such a burden. The predominate race has no need to care about any form of judgment from a minority race...though the fact that some do is beside the point.

What are you really saying? A black man's worry can stop him from succeeding in American society?

If a black man holds the door open for somebody at the grocery store, all the white witnesses will go around thinking, "Well I guess all black guys hold doors for people" ?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Yes, please explain this burden.

Ok. Look at this list from doser:

perhaps quip considers the following to be "black interests":

pimping hos
selling dope
looting stores
eating watermelon and fried chicken
rioting
complaining about "white privilege"

These are stereotyped judgments by whites upon blacks wrought by the actions of a few. Many blacks (and whites) feel these actions are not representative of blacks on the whole. All the while feeling pressure to change the overall perception.

glassjester

These are stereotyped judgments by whites upon blacks wrought by the actions of a few. Many blacks (and whites) feel these actions are not representative of blacks on the whole. All the while feeling pressure to change the overall perception.

Ok, first of all - everyone loves watermelon and fried chicken.
They are objectively delicious foods, and rightfully adored by all who've tasted them.

Second - Doser proposed that list in response to your implicit claim that there exist "white interests," and by extension "non-white interests."

He was not (I don't think) espousing a genuine belief in such stereotypes.

In short, he was trolling you.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
What are you really saying? A black man's worry can stop him from succeeding in American society?

If a black man holds the door open for somebody at the grocery store, all the white witnesses will go around thinking, "Well I guess all black guys hold doors for people" ?

all black men must be successful surgeons :idunno:

Ben-Carson-public-domain.jpg

in what i believed to be an unmistakably obvious manner :doh:

quip

BANNED
Banned
Ok, first of all - everyone loves watermelon and fried chicken.
They are objectively delicious foods, and rightfully adored by all who've tasted them.

:chuckle: This public service announcement was brought to you by......a whitey.

If so, then wherefore the "special" use by doser?

Second - Doser proposed that list in response to your implicit claim that there exist "white interests," and by extension "non-white interests."

He was not (I don't think) espousing a genuine belief in such stereotypes.

Of course, though if you wield a club...people will think your gonna club someone. :idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
They're privileged by virtue of being born the same race as the predominate power structure.
Sure. They have access motivated by human nature, connections that minorities will not tend to have by being disproportionately better off in terms of education and affluence. And there have been a number of studies since the Eddie Murphy SNL short about it that support the notion that even minorities in relative positions of authority treat white people better than they do minorities. Here's a link to a couple of articles dealing with it.

New York Times, 2015

Huffington Post, 2014

Read an article about tackling misconceptions surrounding white privilege and countering them when propounded as argument. It addressed seven particular complaints/advances.

How To Explain White Privilege

Here's another article entitled 10 Examples That Prove White Privilege Protects White People In Every Way Imaginable

ok doser

They're privileged by virtue of being born the same race as the predominate power structure.

define "predominant power structure"

identify at least one subordinate power structure

compare and contrast their ethnic compositions and the benefits they bestow on those of the same ethnicity

if possible, choose power structures with wholly homogeneous compositions

glassjester

:chuckle: This public service announcement was brought to you by......a whitey.

Why does my race matter?

It would be an equally true statement, no matter my skin color.

If so, then wherefore the "special" use by doser?

I have heard people claiming that others believe that stereotype, but I've never met anyone who actually believes it.

As far as the chicken and watermelon thing goes, I think the real stereotype is, "Racists believe this stereotype."

ok doser

... (whites are) disproportionately better off in terms of education ....

i've shared my experiences up here in the north with the urban schools spending significantly more per student than my suburban district, only to achieve dismal results

it's not a lack of opportunity, more a matter of what is done with the opportunities put before them

ok doser

As far as the chicken and watermelon thing goes, I think the real stereotype is, "Racists believe this stereotype."

true story - my first day teaching in the urban district, the teachers cafeteria had chicken wings and collard greens

i was afraid to ask for watermelon :noid: