Is White Privilege Real?

glassjester

Seriously, is it?

You say an example of my privilege is that I don't feel burdened if others judge my race by my actions.

So my "privileged status" is dependent on how I feel about something?

If a black guy decides to not care if people judge his race by his individual actions, then he suddenly becomes privileged, too?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
What are the specific privileges one is given by simply being white, in present-day America?

Are there any at all?

And who, specifically, is giving those privileges to white people?

1. whites are protected by laws that aren't applied to minorities
2. whites are provided with better schooling
3. whites are provided with fathers
4. whites are provided with jobs
5. white criminals aren't shot by police, or beaten
6. whites are allowed to drive on the roads - blacks aren't

i'm sure i'll think of more

ok doser

So name one privilege I've been granted just for being white.

you get to own black slaves if you want :banana:

:think: no wait...

not anymore

You're born into a world where:

Corporate America, politics/government, media, judicial system, police (local, state, federal) are disproportionately controlled by white interests.

in what way is that a privilege?

ok doser

Have you ever received an opportunity that wasn't really because you did something to earn it? Maybe because of someone you knew or family situation, etc.

i've not only never had an opportunity like that, I don't know of anybody who's had an opportunity like that

no, that's not true

those whom I have known who have had opportunities like that were beneficiaries of affirmative action

did bammy earn the right to serve as POTUS?

Not getting lynched by the KKK.

check

Sure they are, man.

Are you white? You ever been the only white person in the room?

i was, every day i taught in the city

Danoh

Heck, even if the answer was yes, why is it racist for family members to help each other succeed?

Do you think I could get a job in a Chinese restaurant?
No, because they're all family owned, and they hire family members.

Which reminds me of a still un-answered question I asked - do Asians have white privilege, too?

Funny story - as a teen, I once worked in a Korean restaurant.

Every so often, the owner would lay me off and replace me with a Korean fresh from Korea.

Only to lose them because they were only using that job as a means of having a job to mention on their application into the country.

At which point, the owner would send someone to come looking for me.

Personally, I thought it all rather cool.

The pay was good for a kid, and for a kid; the time off here and there was a bonus - free time and money - all as a kid.

What a time that was.

Also learned alot about a great culture other than my own, firsthand.

Lol - one time one of their great Chefs accidentally dropped in the garbage next to his stove; this beautiful Red Snapper he had just prepared.

He takes it out of the garbage; wipes off the coffee grounds and other what not that were in the garbage; pours his absolutely delicious sauce on it; and sends it out to the customer who'd ordered it.

When it came back; all that was left was its' "comb" like skeleton - someone had clearly enjoyed their Red Snapper meal :chuckle:

glassjester

Funny story - as a teen, I once worked in a Korean restaurant.

Every so often, the owner would lay me off and replace me with a Korean fresh from Korea.

Only to lose them because they were only using that job as a means of having a job to mention on their application into the country.

Have you ever read or heard about the Chinese family associations in the US?

What you described is pretty standard practice for Chinese business owners. They'll get new immigrants all set up with the paperwork and money needed to start a business. It would be almost impossible for new arrivals to accomplish this on their own, due to lack of money and lack of English.

It's totally race-based and discriminatory - you have zero chance of getting help from one of these Chinese business owners if you're an immigrant from, let's say, Romania.

Personally, I think it's a very good practice.
Look how well the Asian communities do in this country.

Again I'm asking - how does a system rigged against non-whites allow for such "Asian privilege" ?

ok doser

Corporate America, politics/government, media, judicial system, police (local, state, federal) are disproportionately controlled by white interests.

what exactly are "white interests"?

and how do they differ from black interests?

for instance - i identify as white

some of my interests are:

doing my job well
earning a paycheck to support my family
raising my kids to be successful
providing a home for my family

are you suggesting that blacks don't share these interests, solely because of the color of their skin?

ok doser

perhaps quip considers the following to be "black interests":

pimping hos
selling dope
looting stores
eating watermelon and fried chicken
rioting
complaining about "white privilege"

Danoh

Have you ever read or heard about the Chinese family associations in the US?

What you described is pretty standard practice for Chinese business owners. They'll get new immigrants all set up with the paperwork and money needed to start a business. It would be almost impossible for new arrivals to accomplish this on their own, due to lack of money and lack of English.

It's totally race-based and discriminatory - you have zero chance of getting help from one of these Chinese business owners if you're an immigrant from, let's say, Romania.

Personally, I think it's a very good practice.
Look how well the Asian communities do in this country.

Again I'm asking - how does a system rigged against non-whites allow for such "Asian privilege" ?

A few thoughts as one...

Actually, some many other communities within America also practice your above.

Our country was built on that.

On a sense of community.

And in some communities, the race of the individual is not a factor.

Much of that lost with the losing of so many manufacturing jobs; where people were "family" regardless of what ever.

But much of it still remains within various communities.

One aspect of all the protesting against Trump is that kind of thing.

As is his support.

Think centrist (neither left, nor right) and you'll see all this.

Again, lots of American communities still greatly manifest this sense of looking out for one's neighbor.

And look at how so many of us pull together to send aid to victims of a Tsunami, or what have you.

If American history proves anything, it is that Trump's populist (one-sidedness) notion is doomed.

That sense of community eventually reshapes itself to embrace once more what the Core American Value has ever repeatedly reshaped itself to serve...once more.

The sense that, like it, or not, not only are we all on this Earth together, but America has both ever continued to, and cannot but continue to reshape itself in the service of that.

The Brittish - once our greatest enemy, now one of our greatest allies - due to our mutual example of that.

The French were once our enemy.

Spain.

The Germans.

The Japanese.

We're dumb if we think the vast majority of all children throughout the world all want the divisiveness some of us fools throughout the world would so ignorantly instill in them.

Trump's is a lost cause.

I and other Americans I know - know people from various ethnicities who once might have viewed us as not one of them who today do not hesitate to help us out in one thing or another should we ask.

The irony - a week ago, some friends of mine helped a Puerto Rican who vehemently supports Trump, move.

One friend is a Liberal Jew I am ever debating for his extremism, lol.

The other one is of Mexican descent.

And the truck was provided by an Iraqi.

These are the kind of people out there in all that stupidity that fool now in office would deny our Great Melting Pot from continuing in.

By the way, ever eat with the Chinese cooks in their kitchen - very different food from what we buy from them.

Their "diet" is why so high a percentage of them are ever so slim.

Kind of flat in taste, though, lol

quip

BANNED
Banned
Seriously, is it?

You say an example of my privilege is that I don't feel burdened if others judge my race by my actions.

So my "privileged status" is dependent on how I feel about something?

If a black guy decides to not care if people judge his race by his individual actions, then he suddenly becomes privileged, too?

No, you simply don't have such a burden. The predominate race has no need to care about any form of judgment from a minority race...though the fact that some do is beside the point.

glassjester

A few thoughts as one...

Actually, some many other communities within America also practice your above.

I would guess that the communities which don't have this practice tend to remain "un-privileged."

By the way, ever eat with the Chinese cooks in their kitchen - very different food from what we buy from them.

Their "diet" is why so high a percentage of them are ever so slim.

Kind of flat in taste, though, lol

I have had actual Chinese cooking, yes - as opposed to its fast food counterpart.
(One half of my in-laws are Chinese)

ok doser

No, you simply don't have such a burden.

can you describe the nature of this "burden" more explicitly?

it appears to me that many minorities "feel" this burden differently and allow it to affect them differently

quip

BANNED
Banned
perhaps quip considers the following to be "black interests":

pimping hos
selling dope
looting stores
eating watermelon and fried chicken
rioting
complaining about "white privilege"

Collectively, uttered from a whitey...I would say, yes.
:doh:

'Racism' is a "black interest".