James White to Debate Bob Enyart on Open Theism

Nimrod

After debating countless Catholics, I came to the conclusion bringing up Early Church Fathers is futile.

npatterson85

Bob Enyart: Beginning with God’s freedom, and whether or not God has libertarian free will, this question asks: Jesus said he could call on the Father to save him from the cross. Do you believe that the Father could have saved Jesus from the cross?

James White: If he eternally decreed to do so, yes.

BE: At the moment Jesus said that he could call on the Father to save him from this hour. Do you believe that the Father could have saved Jesus?

JW: Well again, you’re asking a question about a decision that was made before the creation of time playing out within time, and this is something I’ve tried to explain to you [talking to Bob Enyart]; and so the divine decree will NOT be changed if God had chosen to do things differently when he created, then he could have done things differently. But once time is created that’s the way it’s going to be.

BE: Could God have decreed it differently when he decreed the way things would go? Could he have decreed it differently?

JW: God was absolutely free to glorify.. the Triune God, Father, Son and Spirit could have chosen to glorify themselves in whatever way they find best.

BE: So God was free, the future was not exhaustively settled in eternity past until God decreed how many weeds would be outside in the parking lot?

JW: Of course.

BE: Ok, so, you reject that eternal, exhaustive foreknowledge, is an eternal attribute of God, because God was free to decree whichever way he wanted to.

JW: *insert stunned nonsense here and other information about how systematic theologians have decided for us how it all should be interpreted because we are too stupid on our own*

*high fives Bob Enyart* I literally busted out laughing after BE's comment and James White seeming to try and gather himself with after taking a blow like that.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
JW: *insert stunned nonsense here and other information about how systematic theologians have decided for us how it all should be interpreted because we are too stupid on our own*

*high fives Bob Enyart* I literally busted out laughing after BE's comment and James White seeming to try and gather himself with after taking a blow like that.
Yes, that was an extremely powerful segment of the debate for Bob.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When Bob cross examines James White, I find it fascinating that James refuses to use the word "change" like when Bob asked if God changed when he took on flesh in the flesh of Christ. And James just keeps saying "God took an action, if you understand the hypostatic union... blah blah blah." And I like James White! But Bob definitely was drilling him.

The two natures change was a good argument as well. Bob - "Do you believe that Jesus had 1 nature in eternity past, but now has 2 natures?" James - "Yes."
Yeah, it was.

I now wonder if White thinks the 2nd nature was/is completely separate from God (ie. that the 2nd nature was not God in any way, shape, or form).

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why is it that some people are able to comprehend God as being "outside of time" when "He presents Himself as acting within time so that He can be comprehended"?

npatterson85

All I'm going to say is Bob Enyart can cross examine! He's REALLY good! I listened to White's cross examination first, and felt it was really weak, and he was trying to corner Bob, but Bob maintained his posture and didn't submit to James White's tactics. Well done!

Nimrod

BE: Ok, so, you reject that eternal, exhaustive foreknowledge, is an eternal attribute of God, because God was free to decree whichever way he wanted to.

Actually, if you go to the video, James said "no sir, you misunderstood"

This is what James talked about before the debate. Bob insists God is within time, and the questions keep coming to James as if God is within time. Calvinists believe God is outside time, God created time.
:dizzy:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

This is what James talked about before the debate. Bob insists God is within time, and the questions keep coming to James as if God is within time. Calvinists believe God is outside time, God created time.

And the assertion of the Calvinist is that God is outside of time.

It cuts both ways. James cannot escape challenges from scripture to what he believes by asserting his concept of God.

npatterson85

James White flat out admitted to God putting HIMSELF into a box, and has to forever remain in that box, and cannot do otherwise because it is not part of the divine decree. That is absurd.

Enyart makes some excellent points that if God is in a box basically, He can't be creative, and do something new, because if it's not something He decreed before eternity past, then it's not possible, ever, in any way shape or form. I want to know who sold God the box? Kind of like White asks of William Lane Craig w/ his card dealer analogy, "Who dealt God the cards?"

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Marginalizing will make facts go away. By any logicians reckoning, God surely sees attrocity as it happens, and doesn't stop it. The why is God's business. It really doesn't matter who you are, what your theology is, or if you happen to be wrong or right - God's business is His alone and His counsel is His alone. We have indications in scripture that we can trust God despite these attrocities (

And this entitles you to say that evil has a good purpose. If it happpens because it is God's business alone, then how can you say anything about it? I've already told you that open theism doesn't have a problem about evil happening in the world. After all the Bible says that God causes evil in some cases. The fact is that you are embarrassed about the existence of evil because your theology makes God responsible for everything. Already you prove that you cannot get your head round this concept and that in open theism God is not responsible. I've already told you. For the record.

And as highlighted above, you need somewhere to run over this. But as there is obviously nowhere to run, you need to invent a place to run to. And that place is 'We cannot know why God causes such evil (or lifts his supposed restraining hand)'. And then realising that 'we cannot know' is actually an admission of failure in your theology, you have to revert to 'we know that evil has a good purpose', thus contradicting yourselves to and fro, running from one corner to another and back again. The other place you run to, as exemplified above is 'We can trust God despite these attrocities [sic]' The issue was never about trusting God. The issue was, what is God like? You can trust God as much as you want, I'm all for that. I don't trust God despite the evil in the world. The evil in the world is not a problem for me or for my theology. The fact that you feel you need to go there despite that evil is the conclusive proof that it is a problem for you.

Nimrod

And the assertion of the Calvinist is that God is outside of time.

It cuts both ways. James cannot escape challenges from scripture to what he believes by asserting his concept of God.

You missed the point. It is a cross examination of the other persons beliefs. :doh:

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
This all assumes God's decree are not perfect in every way that suits Him.
It would be absurd to have to change them.

Do you believe that when God said the following He meant it?

The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.

npatterson85

Seeing how I used to be a full fledged 5 point Calvinist, and a huge proponent of James White, and a few others, I can completely understand their arguments, know them very well, and where they get their references from. I've read the Creeds, Confessions, etc, and used them myself when talking and explaining Reformed Theology to others when I was in that camp. But it wasn't until I was challenged to sit and study Romans 9 - 11 without a "Reformed" lens, did I snap out of it and realize "this doesn't say what they think it does....."

So anything a Calvinist throws at me is just recycled material that can be found in their Creeds, Confessions, etc. Almost sounds like Roman Catholicism to me, and John Calvin is their Pope. :)

S0ZO

It was weird that White acknowledged there was a time before God ordained everything and that God was planning what to do. That would indicate there was a time when the future was indeed open. That's an astonishing admission.
Yep. This is nail in their coffin.

Otherwise, the closed theist would have a god who sits motionlessness eternally with his hands folded across his chest, unthinking, uncommitted, uninvolved, and stoic.

npatterson85

Yep. This is nail in their coffin.

Otherwise, the closed theist would have a god who sits motionlessness eternally with his hands folded across his chest, unthinking, uncommitted, uninvolved, and stoic.

I completely agree with you brother! Well stated! When God took upon flesh and began to tabernacle among us in Jesus, He changed. It wasn't an action. It was a change in God in how He relates to us. He became extremely intimate in the most personal, relational, living, loving, and good way.