Libertarianism and property rights

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Since when was TomO a libertarian? :AMR:

Since I see him in practically every Libertarian thread on TOL. Besides, Tom's hatred of me obviously comes from me exposing and mocking Libertarian ideology and it's political movement.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

Of course. Do you think a man should be able to pain[t] his house as ugly as possible knowing it will devalue the neighbors house?

We will start right here.

To my knowledge an ugly paint job never killed anyone.

Now to answer your question: If that person lives in a gated community where legal agreements were written up stating that homeowners must comply to certain standards, then no, that person doesn't have a right to devalue the value of the entire community.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The thread isn't about what is currently unlawful, it's about what those who believe in absolute property rights think they should be able to do with their property.
I was just answering the question as you asked it. You did not ask about what I think should be acceptable, you only asked what is lawful.

Feel free to share what you believe you should be able to do with your property even if it is currently unlawful (laws can change).
There is a reason for the laws we currently have regarding building codes and land use. In general, I agree that those laws are reasonable. I do think that some of the land use laws and zoning requirements go farther than they should but that is because we have lost the ability to actually talk to our neighbors.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
No. They were made because people like you who think your safety is somebody else's responsibility.

You want chicken and not rat? Raise chickens.

Remember that time when everyone's roofs were blowing off and killing their neighbors? Me neither.

You yourself said that many don't follow these laws anyway. Let me ask you, do you also think banning guns will stop criminals from using them? Did people stop smoking weed from the 70s-90s?

Go ahead and make your stupid laws. We break them with little or no consequence anyway.
Building codes do not protect you from your neighbors house, building codes protect you from yourself.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Let me phrase it so that even those with one live brain cell can understand it Doper:

Health and safety codes were made because of people like you.

No. They were made because people like you who think your safety is somebody else's responsibility.

That's why we have laws Doper, amongst other things is to keep drug addicts like you from being behind the wheel of a car.

You want chicken and not rat? Raise chickens.

(Ummmm...do I need to buy some weed and smoke it in order to understand this?)

Remember that time when everyone's roofs were blowing off and killing their neighbors? Me neither.

You were obviously hiiiiiiiiigh and couldn't care less about anything let alone failure to comply with building and health code laws.

You yourself said that many don't follow these laws anyway. Let me ask you, do you also think banning guns will stop criminals from using them? Did people stop smoking weed from the 70s-90s?

(Ummmmm...I guess I need to upgrade to LSD in order to have a conversation with this Doper).

Go ahead and make your stupid laws. We break them with little or no consequence anyway.

That's why we have jails Doper...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
There is a reason for the laws we currently have regarding building codes and land use. In general, I agree that those laws are reasonable. I do think that some of the land use laws and zoning requirements go farther than they should but that is because we have lost the ability to actually talk to our neighbors.

I agree 100%. Red tape and government bureaucracy is definitely a big strike against responsible private property owners.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Now to answer your question: If that person lives in a gated community where legal agreements were written up stating that homeowners must comply to certain standards, then no, that person doesn't have a right to devalue the value of the entire community.

I think he does, and I think a lot of "contracts" should be deemed null and void because you have no authority to sign and make those agreements.

Kind of like signing a lease where the owner states he can keep the security deposit whether there is damage or not. Many states have laws saying those contracts are invalid. And they should be.

If you don't like your new neighbor, you move.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Are you saying that a fire has never started in a house and spread to others?
I have seen a forest of trees catch fire and spread to a house. I have seen a house catch fire and spread to other houses. I have seen houses catch fire and spread nowhere.

Building codes protect the average homeowner from themselves, at least in an ideal world. Most homeowners have no clue how to build a deck or install a furnace or wire up their basement or plum a sink or install a shower drain. If they do these things wrong they can start fire or cause nasty molds to grow or have their brand new deck collapse in the middle of a party. Fires are fairly rare. There are a great many other things that can go wrong that effect nobody but the homeowner and their family.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:

I think he does, and I think a lot of "contracts" should be deemed null and void because you have no authority to sign and make those agreements.

Private gated communities are like clubs, they have their own rules and if you don't want to abide by them you can either not join that club or quit.

Remember Nick, co-ops (which gated communities pretty much are) have property rights as well.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I would disagree. People can enter into any contract they wish. Courts have repeatedly ruled in favor of HOA's so they are a legally binding contract that you agree to as a condition of purchase. We lived with one for years. That is why when we went shopping for our new house the first thing I told the realtor was not to show us any properties with a HOA. If you don't want to live under an HOA, don't buy there.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Are you saying that a fire has never started in a house and spread to others?

I have seen a forest of trees catch fire and spread to a house. I have seen a house catch fire and spread to other houses. I have seen houses catch fire and spread nowhere.

Building codes protect the average homeowner from themselves, at least in an ideal world. Most homeowners have no clue how to build a deck or install a furnace or wire up their basement or plum a sink or install a shower drain. If they do these things wrong they can start fire or cause nasty molds to grow or have their brand new deck collapse in the middle of a party. Fires are fairly rare. There are a great many other things that can go wrong that effect nobody but the homeowner and their family.

Remember that emergency personnel that respond to house fires, collapsed buildings etc. are putting their lives in danger as well.

In any event, thanks for showing that building codes are important, as they save lives.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
ACW isn't happy unless he fits everyone into his little boxes. Since I am sympathetic to minarchist philosophy I usually get lumped in with the Libertarians....No big deal. I'm registered Independent. :idunno:

While I don't want to derail my own thread and start talking about Libertarianism and all of the loony things that go with it, you're worth it Tom.

Tell us the major differences between "minarchist philosophy" and Libertarianism.

shagster01

That's why we have laws Doper, amongst other things is to keep drug addicts like you from being behind the wheel of a car.

Streets are public. My house is not. Do you need me to explain the difference?

(Ummmm...do I need to buy some weed and smoke it in order to understand this?)

I'm convinced that nothing will help you understand the ways of the world, but try weed and see what happens I guess.

You were obviously hiiiiiiiiigh

You're wrong again.

That's why we have jails Doper...

You think people who build something not up to code should go to jail?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Streets are public. My house is not. Do you need me to explain the difference?

(The things I learn on TOL. I always thought that shag, like most dopers do, still lives in his mother's basement).

You're catching on shag, the thread is about private property. Now if you would like to share what you think you should be able to do with or on your own property that is currently illegal, please do.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Tell us the major differences between "minarchist philosophy" and Libertarianism.

It's the same as the major differences between "conservative philosophy" and Republicanism. :yawn:

Minarchism (also known as minimal statism) is a political philosophy and a form of libertarianism. It is variously defined by sources. In the strictest sense, it holds that states ought to exist (as opposed to anarchy), that their only legitimate function is the protection of individuals from aggression, theft, breach of contract, and fraud, and that the only legitimate governmental institutions are the military, police, and courts. In the broadest sense, it also includes fire departments, prisons, the executive, and legislatures as legitimate government functions.[1][2][3] Such states are generally called night-watchman states.

Minarchists argue that the state has no authority to use its monopoly of force to interfere with free transactions between people, and see the state's sole responsibility as ensuring that contracts between private individuals and property are protected, through a system of law courts and enforcement. Minarchists generally believe a laissez-faire approach to the economy will most likely lead to economic prosperity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minarchism

Same ole stench as Libertarianism, just a minor change in details (i.e. you don't want to privatize police and fire depts., but you're both against "aggression" being used against anything that consenting parties engage in. (drugs, deviant sex, etc.).