LOST - discussion about the TV series LOST. ** SPOILER ALERT **

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Dang, Knight. Are you sure it's just Pinot Grigio?

I'm not sure if it's funny or sad that there are a bunch of Lost theorists that have put more thought into the story than the actual writers of the show.

zoo22

The character wrap-ups were brilliant! I loved every moment of them. And the stained glass was unfortunate but it didn't ruin anything for me.

The thing that eventually left me feeling hollow was that the end of the show wasn't necessarily predicated on anything that happened in the the previous 5 seasons.

In other words... if the ALT was merely the characters version of purgatory then that could have happened without a mysterious island, without time travel, and without the "incident". It seemed as if the ending was disjointed from the rest of the series. You could have had the same great characters, back stories, and "purgatory" style ending, had our hero's been stuck in Barstow California after their bus broke down. I am willing to bet almost any amount of money that that is the reason there are a large number of folks who are feeling a bit hollow regarding the ending of the series.

Right... LOST's end can pretty much fit any story.

But I do have a solution. A very satisfying, reasonable, plausible, solution that makes everything feel right again.

And I will share it with you as soon as I have time to compose it.

Great one. I have to ponder on it a bit, though...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Here's a question...after they detonated JugHead you claim that they were all killed off...back in time (the 70's folks)...but after the flash everything seemed to be set right...or at least tossed everyone's soul back to the future because everyone from the 70's timeline died and the Island was destroyed (or at least sunk). However, when they awoke after the detonation there was a hole as if something happened. Now this was all future time. So what do you think happened in the future time to cause the hole to make it appear as if something had detonated...if the actual detonation did not occur in the future?
Great question. (although in my theory I do NOT state the island was destroyed with jughead)

Here are two possible answers:

After the detonation....

1. The losties are transported to the present and left in the remnants of the nuclear bomb going off and simultaneously absorbing the electromagnetic energy. (it's a mess but not total destruction)

2. The losties are left in the remnants of Desmond flipping the fail-safe key. (another mess but not total destruction)

Either theory is workable. And when ya think about it.... those are the same options we are left to decide regardless if my theory has any validity.

Now, if my theory isn't correct.....

They detonated the bomb, were zipped to the present and nothing significant happened whatsoever as far as the ALT is concerned. The ALT was not connected to that event in any way shape or form. If my theory is wrong the ALT didn't really start until they died naturally or otherwise through the course of history.

zoo22

Anyone have ideas on why baby Aaron would be in the church w/everyone?

Why Penny would be there?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dang, Knight. Are you sure it's just Pinot Grigio?
Not entirely.

I'm not sure if it's funny or sad that there are a bunch of Lost theorists that have put more thought into the story than the actual writers of the show.
I can think of worse hobbies.

Some people don't like to ponder these kinds of issues, yet some people do. I am the kind of person that enjoys thinking about these kinds of things. I spent weeks thinking about No Country For Old Men. :D I don't really see anything funny or sad about it. :idunno:

zoo22

They were integral parts of their lives. They were constants (so to speak).

Penny? She was an integral part of Desmond's life. But Jack's? She really touched very few of the Losties.

Aaron, yes, was integral to the lives of most everyone on the island, but what about him?

Just seemed off to me.

zoo22

Not entirely.

I can think of worse hobbies.

Some people don't like to ponder these kinds of issues, yet some people do. I am the kind of person that enjoys thinking about these kinds of things. I spent weeks thinking about No Country For Old Men. :D I don't really see anything funny or sad about it. :idunno:

I spent a looong time with No Country for Old Men too. :)

... Wow, that just made me think what if No Country for Old Men had been a 6-year series... :plain:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Penny? She was an integral part of Desmond's life. But Jack's? She really touched very few of the Losties.

Aaron, yes, was integral to the lives of most everyone on the island, but what about him?

Just seemed off to me.
Apparently, that group wasn't just Jack's. It was a group that was all connected via the events on the island (most notably the first season and a half). Jack was merely the last one to "let go".

That detail doesn't bug me too much.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Not sad for you, Knight, but the writers. That there are more capable writers out there. But I guess "you get what you pay for". And I haven't bought any smoke detectors from Target so I paid nothing.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Not sad for you, Knight, but the writers. That there are more capable writers out there. But I guess "you get what you pay for". And I haven't bought any smoke detectors from Target so I paid nothing.
:ha: Not even close. While I am still mulling the ending of the show there is no doubt it was one of the best written, creative, television show's ever made.

Apparently you disagree. And that's ok. But this thread is sort dedicated to folks that enjoy discussing the show.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It took me a while to comprehend and eventually LOVE the ending of No Country. I suspect I will eventually feel the same about the ending of LOST.

zoo22

Apparently we are "funny", "sad", losers. :loser:

:D

Well, I'm pretty sure I've been called all 3 here at TOL. Though maybe not all at once...

Apparently, that group wasn't just Jack's. It was a group that was all connected via the events on the island (most notably the first season and a half). Jack was merely the last one to "let go".

That detail doesn't bug me too much.

It does me. There are just too many small things that don't make sense to me about the church. Mostly related to who was there. Though I still thought the scene was amazing.

I thought Terry O'Quinn was great in that scene. Well actually, the entire episode. His varying roles in the episode were pretty crazy... He was MIB "final island showdown with Jack" Locke, pre-op wheelchair Locke, Post-op "toe wiggle" Locke, Island realization Locke, "You don't have a son, Jack" Locke, Ben-forgiving "stand up from his wheelchair" Locke, Happy church "we've been waiting for you" Locke.

:ha: Not even close. While I am still mulling the ending of the show there is no doubt it was one of the best written, creative, television show's ever made.

Yeah even with flaws and the things I might not have liked about it, I agree. I'm still mulling for sure...

zoo22

It took me a while to comprehend and eventually LOVE the ending of No Country. I suspect I will eventually feel the same about the ending of LOST.

I actually loved it the ending when I first saw it (it floored me). Really something. I agree it took a while to feel like I could comprehend it. And I definitely delved into it for weeks after.

Also, I had never read the book.

I think it's a great comparison to bring up. It never even remotely crossed my mind to compare NCFOM with LOST, but there are actually some real similarities.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Great question. (although in my theory I do NOT state the island was destroyed with jughead)

Here are two possible answers:

After the detonation....

1. The losties are transported to the present and left in the remnants of the nuclear bomb going off and simultaneously absorbing the electromagnetic energy. (it's a mess but not total destruction)

2. The losties are left in the remnants of Desmond flipping the fail-safe key. (another mess but not total destruction)

Either theory is workable. And when ya think about it.... those are the same options we are left to decide regardless if my theory has any validity.

Now, if my theory isn't correct.....

They detonated the bomb, were zipped to the present and nothing significant happened whatsoever as far as the ALT is concerned. The ALT was not connected to that event in any way shape or form. If my theory is wrong the ALT didn't really start until they died naturally or otherwise through the course of history.

I had thought that you said that the Island was destroyed...but going back to read what you wrote you just said that all the people died. I guess it makes sense that if the Island wasn't destroyed...then they were simply transported to the place where it had detonated in the past.

Sorry for misreading.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
For those of you who are still pondering what LOST was all about I have written a somewhat lengthy explanation of what I believe the show was telling us. I hope you enjoy it. (if you do enjoy it please tweet about it or even add it to your Facebook).

Also, I would love it if you would leave a comment on the blog post. :up:

ABC’s LOST: the ultimate explanation of everything

GuySmiley

I just re-read it. Everytime I could come up with something to comment on you'd address it right after. Thats really great. Not sure I can say that with the emphasis I mean without being a total suck-up :chuckle: