LOST - discussion about the TV series LOST. ** SPOILER ALERT **

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nevertheless, I don't really care. Just a thought without a whole lot of effort put into it, so no need to be afraid to really bust it. :)
I'm with you.... I like to ponder all sorts of possible scenarios and I highly doubt that there is only one correct interpretation of the ending of this story.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You also have Locke, who was certainly killed off the island.

Unless he wasn't. Maybe he was actually killed in a tertiary purgatory and was killed there as a way to let go and enter into the secondary purgatory and on the waiting list to enter into main purgatory, before being granted access into the afterlife's waiting room.

:dunce:

mighty_duck

Unless he wasn't. Maybe he was actually killed in a tertiary purgatory and was killed there as a way to let go and enter into the secondary purgatory and on the waiting list to enter into main purgatory, before being granted access into the afterlife's waiting room.

:dunce:
Because of all the mystery surrounding the island, I guess we can't rule anything out. :)

In that case, I say it was all in Vincent's head, after eating some bad Kibbles before the flight.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Did anyone watch the Jimmy Kimmel show which apparently showed three alternate endings?

I was too tired and couldn't stay up.

The Graphite

Did anyone watch the Jimmy Kimmel show which apparently showed three alternate endings?

There were a few interesting moments, and a few funny moments (like Josh Holloway beaming in via satellite video from Canada, where he is supposedly starring in "Snakes On A Plane 2: Electric Boogaloo" about snakes on a plane full of break dancers. And then he did some funky dancing and proceeded to moonwalk off camera. That had my wife and I busting a gut.

But overall, it was pretty disappointing, especially the three comical "alternate endings." In fact, worst of all.... the premise for each of those three "endings" have already been done and published online in homemade production form by fans for weeks now! All three ideas were blatantly ripped off.

One ending has Jeff Probst coming out and declaring which Lost survivor is being voted off the island. The next was a parody of the Sopranos' infamous non-ending. And third had Bob Newhart waking up next to Kate. Gimme a break. All cute ideas (not executed terribly well, though) but all three ripped off from fan-made productions already out there.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Also, both Lapidus and Kate were the only two who crashed twice on the Island and escaped both times.

I wonder how Kate explained her experience when she got back to the mainland. "Hello, I was one of the Oceanic Six. You know...the one with the baby. And this is Claire and Sawyer...who were also on the Oceanic Flight that crashed. You remember...the one we said that there were no other survivors. These other people? This is Richard. He is 250 years old. And this Miles character? Well...he tried to kill us initially...but he's an okay guy."

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

It was horrible.

Matthew Fox (Jack) was clearly emotional about the ending of the show yet Kimmel plowed through the "interview" ruining the moment. The microphones on all the guests were messed up so you could often times barely hear what they were saying.

The alternate endings were just fake and were supposed to be funny and for the most part they were lame.

The only good part of the show was occasionally a young Jacob would appear mysteriously behind Jimmy Kimmel which was pretty cool and very subtle, they even used the actual actor who played Jacob on the show.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Also, both Lapidus and Kate were the only two who crashed twice on the Island and escaped both times.

I wonder how Kate explained her experience when she got back to the mainland. "Hello, I was one of the Oceanic Six. You know...the one with the baby. And this is Claire and Sawyer...who were also on the Oceanic Flight that crashed. You remember...the one we said that there were no other survivors. These other people? This is Richard. He is 250 years old. And this Miles character? Well...he tried to kill us initially...but he's an okay guy."
:rotfl:

Yeah... talk about awkward!

I tend to agree with chickenman on that one. It's likely that Miles duct tape repair to the hydrolic's and Lapidus welded window repair didn't work for long and they all died in their attempt to leave the island. But who knows? :idunno:

yokefellow

It was horrible.

Matthew Fox (Jack) was clearly emotional about the ending of the show yet Kimmel plowed through the "interview" ruining the moment. The microphones on all the guests were messed up so you could often times barely hear what they were saying.

The alternate endings were just fake and were supposed to be funny and for the most part they were lame.

The only good part of the show was occasionally a young Jacob would appear mysteriously behind Jimmy Kimmel which was pretty cool and very subtle, they even used the actual actor who played Jacob on the show.

I agree. It was nice to see the cast, but the "alternate endings" weren't that funny. The funniest part was the young Jacob appearing behind Kimmel. I also felt bad for the audience members who asked questions (if you watched the Q&A clips after the show)...it seemed like Kimmel tried to excessively make fun of the audience members and their questions, and then the cast would act awkwardly and give a partial response. Oh well!

The Graphite

Yes, Kimmel definitely ruined what could have been an awesome post-show. And my wife and I both commented at the time about the awkwardness of the stars. Most of them were glossed over and mostly ignored. Like they were there mostly for window dressing. But who gets the most attention? Kimmel, as he went on and on, regaling Fox with all of his brilliant and awesome Lost theories at the beginning. Fox clearly became aware from the start that this was all for Kimmel, not for them.

What a loser. I've never had the slightest dram of respect for Kimmel, to begin with. I just wanted to see the Lost cast and some great memories.

The Graphite

Yes, Kimmel definitely ruined what could have been an awesome post-show. And my wife and I both commented at the time about the awkwardness of the stars. Most of them were glossed over and mostly ignored. Like they were there mostly for window dressing. But who gets the most attention? Kimmel, as he went on and on, regaling Fox with all of his brilliant and awesome Lost theories at the beginning. Fox clearly became aware from the start that this was all for Kimmel, not for them.

What a loser. I've never had the slightest dram of respect for Kimmel, to begin with. I just wanted to see the Lost cast and some great memories.

zoo22

:rotfl:

Yeah... talk about awkward!

I tend to agree with chickenman on that one. It's likely that Miles duct tape repair to the hydrolic's and Lapidus welded window repair didn't work for long and they all died in their attempt to leave the island. But who knows? :idunno:

I wish I could say I do, but I don't. :plain:

It just didn't make sense to me who was in the church.

Though a lot of things didn't make sense.

Except it made sense that Mile's destiny was to repair a jetliner with duct tape.

Currently I'm 50/50.

zoo22

I think a good spin-off would be Hurley and Ben on the island, but no one ever comes, because Hurley never brings anyone.

Just Ben and Hurley hanging out, fishing, cleaning their huts, eating mangos, every once in a while saying something like "Hey, remember, Mikhail? He was pretty crazy, wasn't he? You know, with the one eye?" and then cooking some more fish. Or, "Remember when Artz just blew right up from that old dynamite from the Black Rock? That was pretty nuts." And the other might respond, "Yep. ...Same thing happened to Ilana, too." And then they'd both nod, and throw a log on the campfire or something.

Maybe every once in a while, Ben would start digging a well, and Hurley would say, "Dude. No wells." And Ben would look up, sort of frightened, and say "I'm sorry, Hugo, I don't know what I was thinking. I know, I know... No wells on the island." And then they'd share a coconut.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think a good spin-off would be Hurley and Ben on the island, but no one ever comes, because Hurley never brings anyone.

Just Ben and Hurley hanging out, fishing, cleaning their huts, eating mangos, every once in a while saying something like "Hey, remember, Mikhail? He was pretty crazy, wasn't he? You know, with the one eye?" and then cooking some more fish. Or, "Remember when Artz just blew right up from that old dynamite from the Black Rock? That was pretty nuts." And the other might respond, "Yep. ...Same thing happened to Ilana, too." And then they'd both nod, and throw a log on the campfire or something.

Maybe every once in a while, Ben would start digging a well, and Hurley would say, "Dude. No wells." And Ben would look up, sort of frightened, and say "I'm sorry, Hugo, I don't know what I was thinking. I know, I know... No wells on the island." And then they'd share a coconut.

Sounds something like the Lost episode of Seinfeld.

zoo22

Yeah, I could have done without the stained glass window. Even still it was the christian shepherd that ultimately led them into the light. :)

When I saw the window, I thought uh oh, that's not going to go over so well at TOL. :plain:

zoo22

I liked it enough. But I thought there were too many things that didn't quite make sense. For me.

And certain things I would have liked to see more of, and some less of (of course).

I didn't expect (or want) everything explained, but I did want the final pieces to be able to really fit together, and I don't really think they quite did.

I also wish there'd been a better resolution for MIB. He could have said "I didn't think it was going to end this way... But thank you," or something. Or maybe hanging from the cliff, asking Jack to "please let me go," before falling... I just felt bad for the guy and would have liked to see some type of better resolution for him, even if it was his inevitable death.

I liked that Jack, Desmond and unLocke were almost as three LOST theorists heading into the cave, thinking they knew "the finale." And they were all sort of right, sort of wrong.

mighty_duck

I also wish there'd been a better resolution for MIB. He could have said "I didn't think it was going to end this way... But thank you," or something. Or maybe hanging from the cliff, asking Jack to "please let me go," before falling... I just felt bad for the guy and would have liked to see some type of better resolution for him, even if it was his inevitable death.
Especially given that he had lost all his powers, there was no real reason to kill him. He hadn't done much more evil than any of The Others. Just a sad prisoner trapped in an older man's body.

Though maybe when jack plugged up that cave cork again, his powers would have returned...

zoo22

Some (certainly not all) of my random thoughts/wishes/likes/dislikes. In no particular order.

• I liked Richard's grey hair,
  • I wish Sawyer had seen Cooper,
  • I wish we'd seen the canoe shootout and Miles had gotten killed in it,
  • I loved Locke's realization and the interaction with him and jack in the hospital. What a smile. Except there was a bit I didn't like (see below)
  • I loved Locke and Ben's interaction outside the church,
  • I liked Desmond saying [he was a priest] "or something,"
  • I liked Jack & Christian's interaction kind of. 1/2 & 1/2,
  • I didn't like that the folks in the church seemed a kind of odd selection,
  • I liked that what I thought the Bernard dentist ofice scene was turned out spot on :),
  • Related I liked that at least a number of my predictions came through :)
  • I liked the basics of what happened and the basics of the resolution/end,
  • I was surprised that Hurley would up the protector,
  • Something I liked about the "drink this" way of passing on "now you're like me." (Sure seemed pretty Catholic, didn't it?)
  • I wish we had a few more revealing lines from Eloise,
  • i wish we got a bit more about Widmore, Widmore/Ben,
  • I don't quite understand why the "remembering" was limited to the earlier episodes (except Sun & Jin). For example, why no one saw what was going on at the island's end-game. Particularly, I wish Locke saw more flashbacks. He had such a crazy journey, I wish we saw a flash to his death, or some of his darkest moments,
  • I wish there'd been a better, clearer resolution for MIB,
  • Some was too cheesy for me, but I thought they 75%(?) managed to keep it pretty much on the fence of cheese overload,
  • I wish the entire thing were darker,
  • I don't really get why Jack didn't suffer something "worse than death," when he wound up in the Light Ice Cream cave (for a sec, I thought he was going to become smokie).
  • While I definitely didn't expect or want explanations/answers for everything, i would have liked to see a few things addressed a bit more: Time travel, the bomb, why some may have been left behind, etc., I think some things were left too open.
  • I wish it were clearer to people that (I believe) the church was the same church that Eloise's island-finder laboratory was in the basement of,
  • I wish the unitarian window wasn't quite so obvious,
  • I wish there was something addressed about "believing" and whether merely "believing" could make things true,
  • I thought that Bernard and Rose had a kind of off-message thing going on: They wanted no part of interacting/getting involved, but that was kind of what i was a lot of the end being about: Interacting, and community being important. But of course, I love Rose & Bernard.
  • I don't know why New-Jacob-Jack's cut wouldn't have been healed. Maybe he hadn't set up rules or something.
  • I loved that they managed to bring it back to Jack's eye.
  • I don't know why Penny was in the church (which seemed to me Jack's story, which she really had little part of).
  • Helen's involvement seemed to have just dropped off a cliff.
  • I wish we saw Minowski again. Like he dropped lock off or something.
  • I wanted a "you've got to lift it up,"

Also, I simply don't agree that the show was all about the characters. It was a heavily plot-driven show, and I'm not sure why everyone buys them saying it wasn't. IMO, the island, and many of the plotlines were as much "characters" as the Losties were.

Probably more to come. I've only watched it once, so I'm sure there's plenty I missed.

zoo22

Especially given that he had lost all his powers, there was no real reason to kill him. He hadn't done much more evil than any of The Others. Just a sad prisoner trapped in an older man's body.

Though maybe when jack plugged up that cave cork again, his powers would have returned...

Yeah, it's true they could have... And I pretty much think he needed to die, for a few reasons. But even dying, he still could have had a different, more completed end. I really would have liked to see some resolution for him. He, as most many of the other characters, was a victim of unfortunate circumstances (probably had the most unfortunate circumstances of all), and I think (especially once being rid of being the smoke monster), could have had a redemption, or been able to "let go," as the others were able to. Even in death. Seems kind of a missed opportunity to me.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I didn't like that the folks in the church seemed a kind of odd selection
Here is a forum post reportedly from one of the "Bad Robot" writers who worked on the show.

I don't know the accuracy of that claim but his post certainly seems realistic and does answers some questions.

So.... take it for what it's worth.

Good stuff on here! I can finally throw in my two cents! I've had to bite my tongue for far too long. Also, hopefully I can answer some of John's questions about Dharma and the "pointless breadcrumbs" that really, weren't so pointless ...

First ...
The Island:

It was real. Everything that happened on the island that we saw throughout the 6 seasons was real. Forget the final image of the plane crash, it was put in purposely to mess with people's heads and show how far the show had come. They really crashed. They really survived. They really discovered Dharma and the Others. The Island keeps the balance of good and evil in the world. It always has and always will perform that role. And the Island will always need a "Protector". Jacob wasn't the first, Hurley won't be the last. However, Jacob had to deal with a malevolent force (MIB) that his mother, nor Hurley had to deal with. He created the devil and had to find a way to kill him -- even though the rules prevented him from actually doing so.

Thus began Jacob's plan to bring candidates to the Island to do the one thing he couldn't do. Kill the MIB. He had a huge list of candidates that spanned generations. Yet everytime he brought people there, the MIB corrupted them and caused them to kill one another. That was until Richard came along and helped Jacob understand that if he didn't take a more active role, then his plan would never work.

Enter Dharma -- which I'm not sure why John is having such a hard time grasping. Dharma, like the countless scores of people that were brought to the island before, were brought there by Jacob as part of his plan to kill the MIB. However, the MIB was aware of this plan and interferred by "corrupting" Ben. Making Ben believe he was doing the work of Jacob when in reality he was doing the work of the MIB. This carried over into all of Ben's "off-island" activities. He was the leader. He spoke for Jacob as far as they were concerned. So the "Others" killed Dharma and later were actively trying to kill Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and all the candidates because that's what the MIB wanted. And what he couldn't do for himself.

Dharma was originally brought in to be good. But was turned bad by MIB's corruption and eventually destroyed by his pawn Ben. Now, was Dharma only brought there to help Jack and the other Canditates on their overall quest to kill Smokey? Or did Jacob have another list of Canidates from the Dharma group that we were never aware of? That's a question that is purposley not answered because whatever answer the writers came up with would be worse than the one you come up with for yourself. Still ... Dharma's purpose is not "pointless" or even vague. Hell, it's pretty blantent.

Still, despite his grand plan, Jacob wanted to give his "candidates" (our Lostaways) the one thing he, nor his brother, were ever afforded: free will. Hence him bringing a host of "candidates" through the decades and letting them "choose" which one would actually do the job in the end. Maybe he knew Jack would be the one to kill Flocke and that Hurley would be the protector in the end. Maybe he didn't. But that was always the key question of the show: Fate vs Free-will. Science vs Faith. Personally I think Jacob knew from the beginning what was going to happen and that everyone played a part over 6 seasons in helping Jack get to the point where he needed to be to kill Smokey and make Hurley the protector -- I know that's how a lot of the writers viewed it. But again, they won't answer that (nor should they) because that ruins the fun.

In the end, Jack got to do what he always wanted to do from the very first episode of the show: Save his fellow Lostaways. He got Kate and Sawyer off the island and he gave Hurley the purpose in life he'd always been missing. And, in Sideways world (which we'll get to next) he in fact saved everyone by helping them all move on ...

Now...

Sideways World:

Sideways world is where it gets really cool in terms of theology and metaphysical discussion (for me at least -- because I love history/religion theories and loved all the talks in the writer's room about it). Basically what the show is proposing is that we're all linked to certain people during our lives. Call them soulmates (though it's not exactly the best word). But these people we're linked to are with us duing "the most important moments of our lives" as Christian said. These are the people we move through the universe with from lifetime to lifetime. It's loosely based in Hinduisim with large doses of western religion thrown into the mix.

The conceit that the writers created, basing it off these religious philosophies, was that as a group, the Lostaways subconsciously created this "sideways" world where they exist in purgatory until they are "awakened" and find one another. Once they all find one another, they can then move on and move forward. In essence, this is the show's concept of the afterlife. According to the show, everyone creates their own "Sideways" purgatory with their "soulmates" throughout their lives and exist there until they all move on together. That's a beautiful notion. Even if you aren't religious or even spirtual, the idea that we live AND die together is deeply profound and moving.

It's a really cool and spirtual concept that fits the whole tone and subtext the show has had from the beginning. These people were SUPPOSED to be together on that plane. They were supposed to live through these events -- not JUST because of Jacob. But because that's what the universe or God (depending on how religious you wish to get) wanted to happen. The show was always about science vs faith -- and it ultimately came down on the side of faith. It answered THE core question of the series. The one question that has been at the root of every island mystery, every character backstory, every plot twist. That, by itself, is quite an accomplishment.

How much you want to extrapolate from that is up to you as the viewer. Think about season 1 when we first found the Hatch. Everyone thought that's THE answer! Whatever is down there is the answer! Then, as we discovered it was just one station of many. One link in a very long chain that kept revealing more, and more of a larger mosiac.

But the writer's took it even further this season by contrasting this Sideways "purgatory" with the Island itself. Remember when Michael appeared to Hurley, he said he was not allowed to leave the Island. Just like the MIB. He wasn't allowed into this sideways world and thus, was not afforded the opportunity to move on. Why? Because he had proven himself to be unworthy with his actions on the Island. He failed the test. The others, passed. They made it into Sideways world when they died -- some before Jack, some years later. In Hurley's case, maybe centuries later. They exist in this sideways world until they are "awakened" and they can only move on TOGETHER because they are linked. They are destined to be together for eternity. That was their destiny.

They were NOT linked to Anna Lucia, Daniel, Roussou, Alex, Miles, Lupidis, (and all the rest who weren't in the chuch -- basically everyone who wasn't in season 1). Yet those people exist in Sideways world. Why? Well again, here's where they leave it up to you to decide. The way I like to think about it, is that those people who were left behind in Sideways world have to find their own soulmates before they can wake up. It's possible that those links aren't people from the island but from their other life (Anna's parnter, the guy she shot --- Roussou's husband, etc etc).

A lot of people have been talking about Ben and why he didn't go into the Church. And if you think of Sideways world in this way, then it gives you the answer to that very question. Ben can't move on yet because he hasn't connected with the people he needs to. It's going to be his job to awaken Roussou, Alex, Anna Lucia (maybe), Ethan, Goodspeed, his father and the rest. He has to attone for his sins more than he did by being Hurley's number two. He has to do what Hurley and Desmond did for our Lostaways with his own people. He has to help them connect. And he can only move on when all the links in his chain are ready to. Same can be said for Faraday, Charlotte, Whidmore, Hawkins etc. It's really a neat, and cool concept. At least to me.

But, from a more "behind the scenes" note: the reason Ben's not in the church, and the reason no one is in the church but for Season 1 people is because they wrote the ending to the show after writing the pilot. And never changed it. The writers always said (and many didn't believe them) that they knew their ending from the very first episode. I applaud them for that. It's pretty fantastic. Originally Ben was supposed to have a 3 episode arc and be done. But he became a big part of the show. They could have easily changed their ending and put him in the church -- but instead they problem solved it. Gave him a BRILLIANT moment with Locke outside the church ... and then that was it. I loved that. For those that wonder -- the original ending started the moment Jack walked into the church and touches the casket to Jack closing his eyes as the other plane flies away. That was always JJ's ending. And they kept it.

For me the ending of this show means a lot. Not only because I worked on it, but because as a writer it inspired me in a way the medium had never done before. I've been inspired to write by great films. Maybe too many to count. And there have been amazing TV shows that I've loved (X-Files, 24, Sopranos, countless 1/2 hour shows). But none did what LOST did for me. None showed me that you could take huge risks (writing a show about faith for network TV) and stick to your creative guns and STILL please the audience. I learned a lot from the show as a writer. I learned even more from being around the incredible writers, producers, PAs, interns and everyone else who slaved on the show for 6 years.

In the end, for me, LOST was a touchstone show that dealt with faith, the afterlife, and all these big, spirtual questions that most shows don't touch. And to me, they never once waivered from their core story -- even with all the sci-fi elements they mixed in. To walk that long and daunting of a creative tightrope and survive is simply astounding.