LOST - discussion about the TV series LOST. ** SPOILER ALERT **

Dena

My wife and I made that same observation, TH. All the unanswered questions before the show, that remain unanswered, didn't really matter. I thought it was an outstanding episode and brilliant way to end the series.

Hmm. I was completely underwhelmed and wanted more answers. Fine, they end up together. Great. But I wanted more answers on why things were the way they were.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
At least now we know why women who conceive on the Island can't bring a baby to term. And what happened to the kids that the others took from the beach. :noid:

Am I understadning this correctly...the entire world of the alternate timeline was actually the "afterlife" of some sort?

If so...and Christian told Jack that some had come before him and some after him...I wonder how long the new 6 survivors (Richard, Lapidus, Miles, Sawyer, Kate, and Claire) lived and how they died.

I guess we need a sequeal! Or wait a few years and have an "update" show like Sherwood Shwartz did with A Very Brady Christmas. After all, with Hurley being the new Jacob...and Hurley was dead...that means that someone had to kill him as Ben killed Jacob. Who is the new protector of the Island now that Hurley is dead?

Oh the questions....

Poor smoke monster. All he ever wanted is to get off the Island...just like the rest of the castaways.

What a neat series. I cannot get trapped by another show like this. Six years is a long time.

nicholsmom

Hmm. I was completely underwhelmed and wanted more answers. Fine, they end up together. Great. But I wanted more answers on why things were the way they were.

Me too. I want to know how the island got there, what it was there for, why it needed protecting once the smoke monster was gone, why it needed protecting before the smoke monster was created.

GuySmiley

At least now we know why women who conceive on the Island can't bring a baby to term. And what happened to the kids that the others took from the beach. :noid:
Please explain.

Am I understadning this correctly...the entire world of the alternate timeline was actually the "afterlife" of some sort?
Thats whay I got. The island and all that happened there was 'real'. Those people went on and lived their lives and eventually died. The alternate reality was the afterlife where they all could get together and remember, so they could move on to a deluxe apartment in the sky?

The Graphite

Interesting...I thought I was watching a show about characters wrapped around a mystery and it turns out I was really watching a mystery wrapped around characters who, in the end, mattered more to me than some encompassing revelation/resolution.

Wonderful really. :think:

My wife and I made that same observation, TH. All the unanswered questions before the show, that remain unanswered, didn't really matter. I thought it was an outstanding episode and brilliant way to end the series.
YES! Someone gets it! :banana:

At the Lost theories websites, I keep telling people -- Hey, it's a mysterious island, folks! That's what it is! If you solve every mystery and answer every question, then the show ends with it no longer being a mysterious island. And, at that point, the show jumps the Dharma shark! It's ultimately about the people.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Please explain.

I was kidding because it was never explained why the women on the Island couldn't give birth and it never explained what the Others did with the kids the kidnapped.

It seemed some such a major story line in earlier seasons. The reason Juliet was on the Island, medical experiments, kidnapping Walt, kidnapping the kids from the beach.

For some reason the secret cave of light must not have like kids.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I don't care what was real and what wasn't, but did anyone else think the reason they showed the Oceanic wreckage (which to me looked untouched by survivors) in the end credits was to give the impression that there were no survivors of Oceanic 815? In other words, won't viewers who believe they were all dead from the get-go use that scene as "proof" in their debating?

The Graphite

I was kidding because it was never explained why the women on the Island couldn't give birth and it never explained what the Others did with the kids the kidnapped.

It seemed some such a major story line in earlier seasons. The reason Juliet was on the Island, medical experiments, kidnapping Walt, kidnapping the kids from the beach.

For some reason the secret cave of light must not have like kids.
They kidnapped the kids and a small number of other survivors because The Others are the good guys.

Imagine you are The Others, servants of Jacob, the protector of the island. Jacob has candidates coming to the island who must be tested through many tribulations so they will be narrowed down to one ultimate replacement. However, inevitably when there are shipwrecked survivors, there are also innocent children and other innocent "civilians" among them.

You want to rescue those innocent civilians and children. But, you know if you walk into that beach camp and announce that "we will take Zach and Emma and that stewardess back to our Temple, and the rest of you are staying here," all hell will break loose. So, what do you do? You use your elite jungle-fighter commando members to go over there at night and "kidnap" these innocent civilians. You risk your life in order to save these few people. Some of you even die in the attempt to save them.

And then you take them to the Temple, where they can live out the coming years in a beautiful paradise, in relative safety and comfort. Did Zach, Emma or stewardess Cindy look like oppressed prisoners? No, they were happy and relatively content. The kids wondered if they'd ever see their parents again. But Cindy was even smiling and happy there. Because they had been rescued. No fear of rampaging boars, crazy jungle women or especially the Smoke Monster.

What Ethan did with Claire and Charlie was not authorized. He went a bit rogue, and it cost him his life. But frankly, the survivors killed more of The Others than vice versa, despite the fact that many of The Others were elite killing machines who could come and go in the jungle as they pleased, even without leaving a trace or a trail. In some cases, the Losties even killed an Other who was clearly unarmed (Sun killing Colleen, Sawyer killing a surrendered Tom after Tom had defied Ben's orders and spared their lives). And did The Others respond by wiping out the Losties? No. It continued to ultimately work toward their long-term well-being in service to Jacob. And yes, when pregnant women appeared on the island, they saw this as an opportunity to try to solve the lethal malady that kills all pregnant women on the island. I don't approve of all of their methods in this area, but it was still a noble pursuit to desperately try to save lives.

Ben told the truth. They were always the good guys. Not perfect, and I don't condone everything they ever did. But, yes, they were the good guys!

Last edited:

The Graphite

I don't care what was real and what wasn't, but did anyone else think the reason they showed the Oceanic wreckage (which to me looked untouched by survivors) in the end credits was to give the impression that there were no survivors of Oceanic 815? In other words, won't viewers who believe they were all dead from the get-go use that scene as "proof" in their debating?

I definitely don't think so. It all happened, it was all real on the island. The only "non-real" part was the Alt.

mighty_duck

Nah, they spelled it out pretty clearly that the Island part was real.

The wreckage was more of the enitre 6th season theme of bringing things back full circle to the beginning (highlighted, of course, by the final Jack scene).

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I say that, despite the adamant stance of the producers/writers/whoever, it's possible that they have still been dead all along on the island. It was a place for those who led messed up lives to sort of find their way (I guess like a purgatory). And they finally found their way into another afterlife.

I know, I know...they are insistent that it's not that way. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Another, totally different thought. Let's say that the island was indeed a real place. The Losties created their own afterlife in which they could have consciousness (like a person can in a dream) of the island events. But only when they actually died on the island could they go into the room where they had the reunion at the end. That would explain why Jack didn't enter into the room until he actually died on the island. And perhaps that means that Ben didn't die on the island, since he didn't enter the room. We saw Hurley and Ben on the island as being #1 (Hurley) and #2 (Ben). In the "afterlife", Hurley walks out of that reunion room and looks down on Ben and says: "You were a great #2". Ben says: "You were a great #1". If they were both still alive on that island at that time, then they wouldn't have said "were". So perhaps Hurley died on the island (which we didn't see) and was therefore able to go to the reunion room with the other folks. But Ben didn't die on the island, so he still had some other things to attend to and couldn't go into the room

In other words, blah blah blah...

Adios,
Randy

mighty_duck

Another, totally different thought. Let's say that the island was indeed a real place. The Losties created their own afterlife in which they could have consciousness (like a person can in a dream) of the island events. But only when they actually died on the island could they go into the room where they had the reunion at the end. That would explain why Jack didn't enter into the room until he actually died on the island. And perhaps that means that Ben didn't die on the island, since he didn't enter the room. We saw Hurley and Ben on the island as being #1 (Hurley) and #2 (Ben). In the "afterlife", Hurley walks out of that reunion room and looks down on Ben and says: "You were a great #2". Ben says: "You were a great #1". If they were both still alive on that island at that time, then they wouldn't have said "were". So perhaps Hurley died on the island (which we didn't see) and was therefore able to go to the reunion room with the other folks. But Ben didn't die on the island, so he still had some other things to attend to and couldn't go into the room
The Alt timeline was unrelated to when things were happening on the island. Christian basically spelled it out (everyone dies sometime).

I think Ben didn't go in because he still didn't feel he redeemed himself after all the wrongs he did.

On another note, I liked the little digs the writers put in on themselves ("Christian Shepard? Really?", or "Jack was kind of the obvious choice. I'd expect Jacob to choose someone less obvious")

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Awesome ending!!!! :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

I am soooooooo..... glad that they didn't do a laundry list of answers: "here is what this means, here is what that meant, and when that happened it was really such and such" etc. Every question answered removes a portion of the intrigue. We did however get enough answers to understand the big picture of the show and that's really all that matters.

In the end... the show was about Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, and the rest :) And those characters are what made the show so fun.

That was an incredible finale event. The finale had everything that true LOST fans really wanted to see.

The Graphite

To be honest, as for the finale, I thought it was 11 out of 10 stars ... until the last 10 minutes. And then the very end of the show I would give 4 out of 10 stars.

I was moderately disappointed in the last 10 minutes. The rest of the finale more than makes up for it; it was incredible. Numerous tear-jerkers, fantastic character resolution, etc. But I definitely winced at the "all religions are one" church garbage at the end. It certainly was a huge twist, I'll give them that. And hugely ironic, since so many fans insisted the island was Purgatory, and now we know that everything the Alt was purgatory and everything else was real.

When all is said and done, still a huge Win! :first:

The Graphite

I say that, despite the adamant stance of the producers/writers/whoever, it's possible that they have still been dead all along on the island. It was a place for those who led messed up lives to sort of find their way (I guess like a purgatory). And they finally found their way into another afterlife.

I know, I know...they are insistent that it's not that way. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

In other words, blah blah blah...

Adios,
Randy
Kate didn't die on the island, and she was obviously in the universalist church at the end, and ready to "move on." I'm afraid that really busts your theory.

I am fairly certain that Ben stayed in order to help Rousseau and Alex (and possibly his father and Arzt) move on.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
To be honest, as for the finale, I thought it was 11 out of 10 stars ... until the last 10 minutes. And then the very end of the show I would give 4 out of 10 stars.

I was moderately disappointed in the last 10 minutes. The rest of the finale more than makes up for it; it was incredible. Numerous tear-jerkers, fantastic character resolution, etc. But I definitely winced at the "all religions are one" church garbage at the end. It certainly was a huge twist, I'll give them that. And hugely ironic, since so many fans insisted the island was Purgatory, and now we know that everything the Alt was purgatory and everything else was real.

When all is said and done, still a huge Win! :first:
Yeah, I could have done without the stained glass window. Even still it was the christian shepherd that ultimately led them into the light. :)

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I loved it that they didn't wait until the end of the show to start showing everyone "letting go". We got to see Sun and Jin let go early in the show, and then others came along all throughout the whole show. Great stuff.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Kate didn't die on the island, and she was obviously in the universalist church at the end, and ready to "move on." I'm afraid that really busts your theory.
She could have. The whole plane could have crashed in the middle of the ocean and everyone drowned. It wasn't very flightworthy, afterall.

Nevertheless, I don't really care. Just a thought without a whole lot of effort put into it, so no need to be afraid to really bust it. :)

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame

I felt the same way. Each time someone was "awakened" I was thinking "yes, another one saved!"

I was rooting for more and more of them to "awake" in order to escape from the Island because I thought the ALT timeline would become the new "real" timeline. However, as was already stated...the ALT timeline was the purgatory type place where people waited in order to "pass through".

What it did for me was to diminish the excitement of having the people awakened. They didn't need to be awakened to be rescued from the Island...they just had to die...some where...some time.

mighty_duck

Chickenman said:
She could have. The whole plane could have crashed in the middle of the ocean and everyone drowned. It wasn't very flightworthy, afterall.
You also have Locke, who was certainly killed off the island.