LOST - discussion about the TV series LOST. ** SPOILER ALERT **

The Graphite

Hi I've gotten wind that there are some very big spoilers floating around starting today, and I really don't want to know any of them. I'm going to be staying away from LOST sites/conversations, except this one (my favorite :) )...

If by chance, anyone posts any of these spoilers, PLEASE will you put a big SPOILER WARNING! up top in the post so I don't read it?

I really don't want this episode spoiled for me. I want to theorize this last day, but I don't want to know what's going to happen.

Thanks.

It's aliens.

In purgatory.

:alien: :devil: Freakazoid

The Graphite

IT'S SANTA CLAUS!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited for the finale!!!!

The smoke monster is Santa Claus?

That would explain how the smoke monster can do so many magical things... and it also explains how Santa gets down so many tiny, narrow chimneys. In smoke form! The weird, sudden rain on the island symbolizes his reindeer, of course.

Naturally, he wants to leave the island because he needs to visit all the good little boys and girls.

This is starting to make a lot of sense, now... Wow, hindsight is amazing, eh?

zoo22

“If there’s one word that we keep coming back to, it’s redemption. It is that idea of everybody has something to be redeemed for and the idea that that redemption doesn’t necessarily come from anywhere else other than internally. But in order to redeem yourself, you can only do it through a community. So the redemption theme started to kind of connect into “live together, die alone,” which is that these people were all lone wolves who were complete strangers on an aircraft, even the ones who were flying together like Sun and Jin. Then let’s bring them together and through their experiences together allow themselves to be redeemed. When the show is firing on all pistons, that’s the kind of storytelling that we’re doing. I think we’ve always said that the characters of Lost are deeply flawed, but when you look at their flashback stories, they’re all victims. … This idea of saying this bad thing happened to me and I’m a victim and it created some bad behavior and now I’m going to take responsibility for that and allow myself to be redeemed by community with other people, that seems to be the theme that we keep coming back to.”

-- Damon Lindelof

zoo22

So I was wondering... What would be the most disappointing outcome for you guys?

Good question. I'll be disappointed if it's too cheesy/soap opera. If it has the same tone/quality as the Magic Elf Ice Cream Cave of Light, which to me just felt like some 80's Disney movie.

I'll also be disappointed if it's too happy an ending. I don't want everything to wind up peachy. For example, if there's a sacrifice made to save the world (or whatever), I hope that it carries through to the ALT ... I don't want everything to just wind up perfect and bubbly. I'd like some bittersweet.

Any of the theories like "it's a dream," or "purgatory," or "it's in Hurley's mind" or whatever, I just don't expect will happen, so I'm not worried about that.

I'll be disappointed if there's too much of a sappy emphasis on the love-interests. I think the show's very much about love, and I expect we'll be seeing a lot of the couples, but I don't want that to become all mushy.

Basically, I'll be disappointed if the finale doesn't have a bite to it.

I'll think be disappointed if Desmond doesn't say "you've got to lift it up." Been waiting a long time for that one.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll be disappointed if there's too much of a sappy emphasis on the love-interests. I think the show's very much about love, and I expect we'll be seeing a lot of the couples, but I don't want that to become all mushy.

I think that's one of the many great things of the show. It's so saturated with relationships but for the most part they purposely never show a long on going mushy love interest relationship. And the ones they do continue to remind us of, like Rose and Barnard, are so intriguing and special, the writers seem to want you to end up begging "What's their secret?"

Love it! Love it! Love it!

The Graphite

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how many times Desmond has said "brother" over the course of the series? (Up to this point, of course.)

I bet I'm the only one here who knows... ;) (And you can make your guesses but I'll only reveal it sometime later this week after everyone has a chance to see the finale and the final tally.)

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
I'm with you, zoo. It can't get to sappy.

One thing I really look forward to, is seeing Jack's wife in the ALT. My bet is that it's Juliet.

The Graphite

42 before finale? Then it wouldn't be 42 after the finale, most likely.

Granted, there have been a LOT of episodes with Desmond in them in which he didn't say "brother" even once. But with 2 1/2 hours of show, it's likely he'll give us at least a couple!

Lucky

Hall of Fame
42 before finale? Then it wouldn't be 42 after the finale, most likely.
42 after the finale.
Granted, there have been a LOT of episodes with Desmond in them in which he didn't say "brother" even once.
That's what I figured. And since he'll have been in what 45 episodes, I'm picking the Lost number closest to it, 42.
But with 2 1/2 hours of show, it's likely he'll give us at least a couple!
I think so, brotha.

zoo22

Okay, I'm checking out of the thread for a while because I'm not going to watch the finale 'til tomorrow.

Enjoy, everyone!

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I really did not know that Lassie, I mean, Vincent was going to find Desmond. It was at best a theory, and in reality a joke.

So how 'bout that ending.

I'm so glad that show is finally over. :eek:linger:

The Graphite

42 after the finale.

That's what I figured. And since he'll have been in what 45 episodes, I'm picking the Lost number closest to it, 42.

I think so, brotha.

You know what? I was having such a thrill enjoying the finale that I did not count the "brothers" during it. Did anyone?

There were 44 before the finale. So, do the math!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Interesting...I thought I was watching a show about characters wrapped around a mystery and it turns out I was really watching a mystery wrapped around characters who, in the end, mattered more to me than some encompassing revelation/resolution.

Wonderful really. :think:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Interesting...I thought I was watching a show about characters wrapped around a mystery and it turns out I was really watching a mystery wrapped around characters who, in the end, mattered more to me than some encompassing revelation/resolution.

Wonderful really. :think:

My wife and I made that same observation, TH. All the unanswered questions before the show, that remain unanswered, didn't really matter. I thought it was an outstanding episode and brilliant way to end the series.