LOST - discussion about the TV series LOST. ** SPOILER ALERT **

zoo22

Also, I think Desmond's going to have two major roles... On and off island. I guess that's obvious, but I never know.

zoo22

Remember when there were regular "emergency broadcast warning" tests on TV? ... Those always left me with an unnerving feeling when I was a kid. Especially late-night.

:noid:

Come to think of it, they actually had a Dharma Initiative flavor to them.

That would be SO awesome if they busted in with a 70's "emergency broadcast warning test" in the middle of the LOST finale...

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
If Ben "wakes up" in the alternative timeline....that would be a bad thing. He is such a nice guy compared to his backstabbing and selfish counterpart on the Island.

zoo22

If Ben "wakes up" in the alternative timeline....that would be a bad thing. He is such a nice guy compared to his backstabbing and selfish counterpart on the Island.

I'm pretty sure Ben'll make a switch again on-Island to the "good" side... I figure that's what was up with him getting the walkie-talkie's from Widmore and giving one to Miles as Miles hit the road: He can clue Miles in to the shenanigans going on. A week ago I figured Ben for at least one, and probably two switcheroos. I hit one, and now I'm pretty sure he's going to switcheroo one more time in the finale. I believe Ben's end will be good. And I certainly may be may be wrong... That may be a big twist: Ben really being bad.

But today, I don't believe that. Today I believe Ben's going to come up good. Today, I believe he's playing MIB. (though whether MIB knows that or not is up in the air to me).

PS: I still have a few day to change my mind :plain:

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think Jack has Jacob powers for real now. Jacob had real powers, i.e. Richard, and when he said "you are just like me" those powers were the difference between Jacob and the rest of the humans.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I do. I do. I'm waiting for the next gen. Maybe. Did you pre order one? If so, your verdict?

I've gotten very mixed reviews from friends so far.
It's awesome.

The iPad will change the way we compute. Obviously, it doesn't replace your primary PC but it does a much better job of being your mobile PC than a netbook or smartphone.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Also, I think Desmond's going to have two major roles... On and off island. I guess that's obvious, but I never know.
Fo... sho!

Off island, Desmond is an alarm clock. He needs to wake everyone up ASAP.

On island, Desmond needs to explain to Jack what the plan is (i.e., escape through the looking glass into the other reality) he needs to convince Jack to trust his plan that it will all be alright in the ALT. That would be a very hard thing to understand.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But today, I don't believe that. Today I believe Ben's going to come up good. Today, I believe he's playing MIB. (though whether MIB knows that or not is up in the air to me).
That's what I think as well. Although Ben isn't really switching sides, he jas been good ever since he Llana accepted his repentance. Now he is just tricking the MIB. Ben shot Widmore because Widmore was about to tell Smokey something that would have helped Smokey escape (or maybe Widmore was about to tell Smokey something that would have given away the escape plan i.e., switching realities to the ALT). Smokey said he heard what he needed to hear but he was lying. Smokey doesn't trust Ben anymore than Ben trusts Smokey.

But some might say.... Ben killed Widmore and he wants to kill more people for Smokey! That doesn't seem good does it? Well, Ben knows that the ALT is where it is at, and he knows that killing off the right people on the island can save them if Desmond is successful in "waking" them up in the ALT.

Therefore, Ben knows there is still hope for Widmore in the ALT so shooting him to thwart the smoke-monster is a good thing, not a bad thing.... even for Widmore!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think Jack has Jacob powers for real now. Jacob had real powers, i.e. Richard, and when he said "you are just like me" those powers were the difference between Jacob and the rest of the humans.
It seems that way doesn't it.

And if that is true maybe Jack will use that power just one time.... maybe he will use it to help the MIB escape from being the smoke monster so that he can move on. Maybe Jack will also help Michael and all the rest who are stuck on the island "move on".

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
That's what I think as well. Although Ben isn't really switching sides, he jas been good ever since he Llana accepted his repentance. Now he is just tricking the MIB. Ben shot Widmore because Widmore was about to tell Smokey something that would have helped Smokey escape (or maybe Widmore was about to tell Smokey something that would have given away the escape plan i.e., switching realities to the ALT). Smokey said he heard what he needed to hear but he was lying. Smokey doesn't trust Ben anymore than Ben trusts Smokey.

But some might say.... Ben killed Widmore and he wants to kill more people for Smokey! That doesn't seem good does it? Well, Ben knows that the ALT is where it is at, and he knows that killing off the right people on the island can save them if Desmond is successful in "waking" them up in the ALT.

Therefore, Ben knows there is still hope for Widmore in the ALT so shooting him to thwart the smoke-monster is a good thing, not a bad thing.... even for Widmore!

So perhaps it was Ben who helped Desmond escape.

zoo22

AIt also appears that our rescuers (Desmond and Hurley) are not to quick to wake everyone. They must have felt like most LOST fans do about Anna Lucia because they made no effort whatsoever to wake her. :chuckle:

I had just re-watched that Ana Lucia scene and noticed something I hadn't before, which is that when Hurley asks Desmond (about Ana Lucia) "She's not coming with us?" Desmond replies "She's not ready yet."

Just thought it was interesting him saying exactly what Eloise had said to him.

The Graphite

Good call.

After all.... Desmond helped Ben escape to the ALT by beating the crap out of him in the school parking lot.

I thought that was absolutely brilliant on the part of the writers.

How do you get Hurley to snap out of it? A kiss from Libby.

How do you get Desmond to snap out of it? Going under water and seeing Charlie's hand against the glass.

But, how the heck do you get Ben to snap out of it? What is iconic about him? Scheming? You can't get nice-Ben to scheme and lie. He's a nice guy! Kill Alex in front of him? Hmmmm, better not do that. Oh wait, I have it!

Beat the snot out of him! Who gets beat up more on this show than Ben, for goodness' sake? The man is a walking punching bag! It's like he has a "kick me" sign on his back, only it says "kick the ever-lovin' daylights out of me!"

I thought that was the absolute bomb. Ha! Best wake-up call in the Alt, yet! :first:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Beat the snot out of him! Who gets beat up more on this show than Ben, for goodness' sake? The man is a walking punching bag! It's like he has a "kick me" sign on his back, only it says "kick the ever-lovin' daylights out of me!"
:rotfl: Turbo and I were discussing that very topic yesterday on the phone.

Nobody has been beaten up more than Ben, although had Boone lived he might have given Ben a run for his money.

zoo22

One interesting question is.... which reality is really effecting the other? Does Jack and Locke need to let go in the ALT before they can do what is truly necessary on the island? Or does Jack need to trap and destroy the smoke monster on the island in order for he and Locke to let go in the ALT???? :think:

Yeah, that's definitely an interesting question...

Does it even matter that the ALT is chronologically happening three years before the island reality? I suppose that part isn't important as long as Desmond and Hurley are successful in waking up who they want woken up before the island is sunk or destroyed.

It does seem like it wouldn't matter... But in that Bernard scene I keep yammering about, there were two specific mentions of three years.... Jack mentions that Locke's accident had been three years ago, and when Bernard wrote down Cooper's name for Jack, Jack asked, surprised, "you still remember his name three years later?" and Bernard looked at him and said "Of course I remember, Jack."

A couple episodes before that, MIB asks Desmond "remind me again, Desmond, how long were you down in that hatch, pushing that button?" Of course, three years. Seemed like MIB was really saying "Desmond, remind everyone 'three years'"

I'm not sure if there were other recent mentions that I've missed, but it seems pointing out 3 years is something they're doing on purpose... Particularly in the Bernard scene (twice in 3 minutes?). Seems they're saying "think about this." I mean, we "rationally" know there's a time-gap, but the question of whether the timelines are offset or concurrent is a legit question.

Though again, maybe it doesn't matter at all. :plain:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Though again, maybe it doesn't matter at all. :plain:
I think you are onto something.

Maybe they are in a "ground hog day" style time loop that is three years long. If they can't escape it..... it starts all over again. And Bill Murray thought one repeating day was miserable!

The Graphite

Maybe they are in a "ground hog day" style time loop that is three years long. If they can't escape it..... it starts all over again. And Bill Murray thought one repeating day was miserable!

I am 99% sure that they are NOT going to just end the show with the re-initiation of another iteration of an infinite loop.

However, you guys bring up another fascinating mirror-image structure in the story, here.

How much time to they spend in the story in the present? 3 years.
How much time did they spend in the past on island? 3 years!

How much time does Desmond spend in the present storyline? 3 years
How much time did Desmond spend in the hatch, leading up to this? 3 years!

Mirror image, with the axis or focal point (center) being the crash of 815. :think:

zoo22

:chuckle:

I am 99% sure that they are NOT going to just end the show with the re-initiation of another iteration of an infinite loop.

However, you guys bring up another fascinating mirror-image structure in the story, here.

How much time to they spend in the story in the present? 3 years.
How much time did they spend in the past on island? 3 years!

How much time does Desmond spend in the present storyline? 3 years
How much time did Desmond spend in the hatch, leading up to this? 3 years!

Mirror image, with the axis or focal point (center) being the crash of 815. :think:

No, I don't think that it's going to be a loop. I'm sure it won't be. (Unless perhaps the island doesn't sink and Jack's left there ... A "big picture" loop). But I still think that this'll be the "it only ends once" end.

I do think there's something related to the 3 year time gap that's important. And yeah, I think it's along the lines of mirror/axis (I believe mirrors will play into the finale). Or it may be just as simple/obvious as their having a consciousness of overlapping timelines, as Bernard in LAX_Alt is 3 years "behind" island time, but he still remembers all of the island time. But I think there was a reason they were pointing out the "3 years."

I spent 1/2 hour or so right next to Carlton Cuse tonight (I didn't ask him how LOST ends).

Last edited:

The Graphite

This is absolutely hilarious! Lindelof and Cuse were recently on Kimmel and he confronted them with a very early memo from when the show was still being pitched to the network. They probably never thought this would see the light of day. Or hoped so, at least! The clip is longer than just this, and this part of it is approx. 1:50 into the clip. (I intensely dislike Kimmel myself; I found this somewhere else.) So, if you don't feel like watching the clip, I typed up a transcript of this memo, below!

Lindelof & Cuse confronted with early Lost memo

The network asked them: Is the show self-contained [within each episode] or serialized?

Answer: "Self-contained.

Seriously, we promise. Yes, the mystery surrounding the island may serve an on-going and EASY TO FOLLOW mythology [ha ha ha!], but every episode has a beginning, middle and end.

More importantly, the beginning of each new episode presents an entirely new dilemma to viewers that requires NO KNOWLEDGE of the episode that preceded it. Except for the rare two-parter.

This is not lip service. We are absolutely committed to this. "Lost" can and will be completely accessible on a weekly basis as a traditional procedural drama.

Viewers will be able to drop in ANY TIME and be able to follow exactly what is going on in the story context."

zoo22

Hi I've gotten wind that there are some very big spoilers floating around starting today, and I really don't want to know any of them. I'm going to be staying away from LOST sites/conversations, except this one (my favorite :) )...

If by chance, anyone posts any of these spoilers, PLEASE will you put a big SPOILER WARNING! up top in the post so I don't read it?

I really don't want this episode spoiled for me. I want to theorize this last day, but I don't want to know what's going to happen.

Thanks.