masks work .. to infect you :(

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Bottom line? Where masks are commonly used, fewer infections.

Covid Superspreader events?

Dr. Anthony Fauci said the White House held a “superspreader event” when it held a ceremony in the Rose Garden for Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination nearly two weeks ago.

“I think the data speak for themselves,” said Fauci, the most visible face of the White House coronavirus task force, on the efficacy of face masks in curbing the spread of the virus.

“We had a superspreader event in the White House, and it was in a situation where people were crowded together and were not wearing masks,” Fauci said on
CBS News radio.

The nation’s top infectious disease expert was referring to the fallout from the Sept. 26 garden ceremony, after nearly a dozen people who attended contracted COVID-19.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fauci-white-house-hosted-superspreader-event

way 2 go

If so, then OR personnel, and workers who wear dust masks at work all day would have higher rates of infection. But they don't. Your story runs head-on into reality, and doesn't survive the crash.

O R personnel
wear N95 masks , don't touch their mask , change their masks often , wear gloves

ok doser
When I wore a mask when I was working in the OR or the ICU's, I also washed my hands literally hundreds of times a day. And gloved before touching a patient or a sample.

no one in the general public (hyperbole) handles mask correctly , everybody adjusts them while wearing them
because most cloth masks don't fit properly & creep down their face when they talk
they touch a door handle then later they adjust their mask , a warm & moist environment , a literal petri dish on their face,

eider

no one (hyperbole) handles mask correctly , everybody adjusts them while wearing them
they touch a door handle then later they adjust their mask , a warm & moist environment , a literal petri dish on their face,
so yes masks cause infection

cloth masks have a 97% failure rate at prevention

Because people touch items, and because they do involuntarily and unknowingly touch hands to face, face masks help to protect from transmission of virus and bacteria to face.

Because face masks are inexpensive, 10 for £2.00 where I go shopping, and free at the entrance of another store, face masks are clean.

Do you get that? Do you understand that simple fact?
And face masks help to protect from transmission of virus or bacteria to others.
So where I live most people including medical professionals wear them.
And we will continue to do so.

You must do what you think is right, but if you are instructed to wear a mask in a situation or place then it's common sense to follow rules and laws.

It's a bit like wearing a seat belt in a car... some people still demand that they are dangerous, but they save so many lives and from so many injuries.

Think of masks as being another kind of seat belt.

eider

Bottom line? Where masks are commonly used, fewer infections.

Covid Superspreader events?

Dr. Anthony Fauci said the White House held a “superspreader event” when it held a ceremony in the Rose Garden for Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination nearly two weeks ago.

“I think the data speak for themselves,” said Fauci, the most visible face of the White House coronavirus task force, on the efficacy of face masks in curbing the spread of the virus.

“We had a superspreader event in the White House, and it was in a situation where people were crowded together and were not wearing masks,” Fauci said on
CBS News radio.

The nation’s top infectious disease expert was referring to the fallout from the Sept. 26 garden ceremony, after nearly a dozen people who attended contracted COVID-19.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fauci-white-house-hosted-superspreader-event

How totally stupid that was.
The most stupid aspect of that performance was in the way it sent a message to hundreds of millions of people that social-distancing and PPE don't really matter.

That's not leadership........ it's ..... stupid.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... it sent a message to hundreds of millions of people that social-distancing and PPE don't really matter.

Several months of rioting in the cities makes me believe that they'd already gotten that message

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
filedata/fetch?id=2772355&d=1602986414

O R personnel
wear N95 masks , don't touch their mask , change their masks often , wear gloves

When I worked ORs there were no N95 masks. They weren't even invented until the early 1970s, and weren't adapted to health care until the 1990s. And yet OR personnel still didn't have more infections than others. Gloves have absolutely no effect on airborne contamination.

no one in the general public (hyperbole) handles mask correctly , everybody adjusts them while wearing them
because most cloth masks don't fit properly & creep down their face when they talk

Fortunately, perfection isn't required to make masks effective. Go look up "minimum infectious dose." You move around in a cloud of microorganisms that circulate vertically by convection. The idea is to prevent horizontal projection of the virus.

In the sense that neither the petri dish nor the mask will grow virus. Thought you realized that.

chair

Fortunately, perfection isn't required to make masks effective.

You'd want close to perfection if the goal was only to protect yourself. Since the main goal is public health, a reduction in the probability of transmission is very helpful. The main point is to think about public health. some here have a hard time thinking about the public, or even of their own communities and families.

As an aside, I unfortunately have been spending some time in the hospital with a sick relative. The ward has two quarantine rooms set up for the new patients, who move to regular rooms only after they've tested negative for Covid. They keep the windows open as much as possible. The staff is careful about masks and hygiene, as are all the visitors (who are limited in number). The masks are all plain simple masks, not N95, but it does the trick. They had wards that were shut down back in April, when they weren't careful, and staff got infected, and their colleagues went into quarantine; their current procedures apparently do the trick.

Personally, I haven't spent this much time indoors with so many people in 6 months. I attend prayers regularly, but always outside and distanced.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Here's one.

5f8b5c4c949a5.image.jpg

ok doser

You'd want close to perfection if the goal was only to protect yourself. Since the main goal is public health, a reduction in the probability of transmission is very helpful. The main point is to think about public health. some here have a hard time thinking about the public, or even of their own communities and families.

As an aside, I unfortunately have been spending some time in the hospital with a sick relative. The ward has two quarantine rooms set up for the new patients, who move to regular rooms only after they've tested negative for Covid. They keep the windows open as much as possible. The staff is careful about masks and hygiene, as are all the visitors (who are limited in number). The masks are all plain simple masks, not N95, but it does the trick. They had wards that were shut down back in April, when they weren't careful, and staff got infected, and their colleagues went into quarantine; their current procedures apparently do the trick.

Personally, I haven't spent this much time indoors with so many people in 6 months. I attend prayers regularly, but always outside and distanced.

praying for your relative

cloth masks do have some utility in a controlled environment

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
You'd want close to perfection if the goal was only to protect yourself.

For one client, I had to be a certified safety professional, so I took the test to be certified. And systems safety works in terms of cost-benefit reduced hazard. So a significant decrease in likelihood of infection is an acceptable reason to wear a mask.

Since the main goal is public health, a reduction in the probability of transmission is very helpful. The main point is to think about public health. some here have a hard time thinking about the public, or even of their own communities and families.

That's the other part of it. So it's a very sensible control. But unfortunately the incompetent in the WH made it a political issue,and so the idiots are more interested in being politically correct than rationally considering the options.

Sorry to hear of your relative. Just about an hour ago, my youngest daughter called me. Her father-in-law died this morning. Apparently of COVID-19. Her husband just tested positive and had stopped by to see us a few days ago. He's grieving for his father,and torn up with guilt about possibly exposing us. I tried to reassure her that we have no resentment against him. Joe is the youngest son, but the strongest one, and he's got enough to do; his mother is not taking it well. He doesn't need to worry about how we feel. Meagan has been getting lots of support from her sibs; my oldest daughter talked to her, and although she's blunt as a rock normally, she said all the right things, God bless her,

We'll get tested Monday; I'm not worried about me. For some reason, I'm just not scared of it. My kids are all worried for us, though. And I'm worried about Mrs. Barbarian. Just because.

chair

Social distancing and mask wearing don't matter if you're a leftist:

This type of post, even if it was accurate, doesn't prove a dern thing about whether masks help or not. It could show that some on the left are jerks, just like some people on the right. As it is- it isn't relevant at all.

ok doser

This type of post, even if it was accurate, doesn't prove a dern thing about whether masks help or not. It could show that some on the left are jerks, just like some people on the right. As it is- it isn't relevant at all.

Then feel free to ignore it :idunno: