masks work .. to infect you :(

chair

We'll get tested Monday; I'm not worried about me. For some reason, I'm just not scared of it. My kids are all worried for us, though. And I'm worried about Mrs. Barbarian. Just because.

Just because... good people tend to worry about others more than they worry about themselves.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
For one client, I had to be a certified safety professional, so I took the test to be certified. And systems safety works in terms of cost-benefit reduced hazard. So a significant decrease in likelihood of infection is an acceptable reason to wear a mask.

That's the other part of it. So it's a very sensible control. But unfortunately the incompetent in the WH made it a political issue,and so the idiots are more interested in being politically correct than rationally considering the options.

Sorry to hear of your relative. Just about an hour ago, my youngest daughter called me. Her father-in-law died this morning. Apparently of COVID-19. Her husband just tested positive and had stopped by to see us a few days ago. He's grieving for his father,and torn up with guilt about possibly exposing us. I tried to reassure her that we have no resentment against him. Joe is the youngest son, but the strongest one, and he's got enough to do; his mother is not taking it well. He doesn't need to worry about how we feel. Meagan has been getting lots of support from her sibs; my oldest daughter talked to her, and although she's blunt as a rock normally, she said all the right things, God bless her,

We'll get tested Monday; I'm not worried about me. For some reason, I'm just not scared of it. My kids are all worried for us, though. And I'm worried about Mrs. Barbarian. Just because.

I hope you, and everyone in your family come through this with the best possible outcomes, and I'm sorry for the loss of your daughter's father-in-law.

I also had to worry this last week about members of my immediate family who almost certainly had covid (most of the symptoms including loss of smell), although they refused to get tested. It's been stressful to stand by while they discounted many of the warnings we've been given.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I hope you, and everyone in your family come through this with the best possible outcomes, and I'm sorry for the loss of your daughter's father-in-law.

Thanks for your kind words and wishes. It's not a very happy time for us, right now. Mrs. B. is putting together food so Meagan's mother-in-law will at least not have to cook for the family.

I also had to worry this last week about members of my immediate family who almost certainly had covid (most of the symptoms including loss of smell), although they refused to get tested. It's been stressful to stand by while they discounted many of the warnings we've been given.

That happens. I hope it comes out better for yours than it did for mine.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Thanks for your kind words and wishes. It's not a very happy time for us, right now. Mrs. B. is putting together food so Meagan's mother-in-law will at least not have to cook for the family.

I can only imagine. Parents never stop worrying about their kids. Hoping you all get through this well, and my heart goes out to the grieving, another kind of suffering.

That happens. I hope it comes out better for yours than it did for mine.

Thank you.

Arthur Brain

leftist nerfing the world :chuckle:

life involves taking risks always has always will

disneyworld is open disneyland is closed

Well, no. Taking calculated and general risks is certainly part of life but taking stupid ones, especially ones that could affect other people's lives isn't, certainly not at a responsible level. If you're not wearing a mask then regardless of how effective you may personally find them to be, you're putting other people's health at risk and you should stop doing that. Stop being a whining snowflake and just wear one.

How easy is that? You can take it off and whine about it all once you're indoors!

Arthur Brain

For one client, I had to be a certified safety professional, so I took the test to be certified. And systems safety works in terms of cost-benefit reduced hazard. So a significant decrease in likelihood of infection is an acceptable reason to wear a mask.

That's the other part of it. So it's a very sensible control. But unfortunately the incompetent in the WH made it a political issue,and so the idiots are more interested in being politically correct than rationally considering the options.

Sorry to hear of your relative. Just about an hour ago, my youngest daughter called me. Her father-in-law died this morning. Apparently of COVID-19. Her husband just tested positive and had stopped by to see us a few days ago. He's grieving for his father,and torn up with guilt about possibly exposing us. I tried to reassure her that we have no resentment against him. Joe is the youngest son, but the strongest one, and he's got enough to do; his mother is not taking it well. He doesn't need to worry about how we feel. Meagan has been getting lots of support from her sibs; my oldest daughter talked to her, and although she's blunt as a rock normally, she said all the right things, God bless her,

Heck, just saw this. So sorry to hear and I hope everything for all of you turns out the best as it possibly can.

Arthur Brain

Hey, just you be sure to take precautions even if they for some bizarre reason aren't. I'm sorry you're having to go through that type of stuff.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Hey, just you be sure to take precautions even if they for some bizarre reason aren't. I'm sorry you're having to go through that type of stuff.

Thanks. I'm all right, there was 5 days between the last time I saw them and their both coming down sick. I've tried to be as safe as I can, but they have the common belief among many on the right that it's been overhyped, not much worse than the flu, masks are an infringement, etc. So hard, this ideological difference with Covid splits right through families.

Arthur Brain

Thanks. I'm all right, there was 5 days between the last time I saw them and their both coming down sick. I've tried to be as safe as I can, but they have the common belief among many on the right that it's been overhyped, not much worse than the flu, masks are an infringement, etc. So hard, this ideological difference with Covid splits right through families.

I'm glad you're okay and I hope they are too and they're not the only ones who downplay the thing unfortunately. I know of a few over here, locally, who despite going along with mandated requirements spend half the time moaning about them when in the pub...most, thankfully, are a bit more clued up.

Arthur Brain

Thank you for for the kind words. I'll worry until the rest of the family gets through this. Funny how tragedy can bring people together, and remind us how precious each of us is to one another. It's a consolation, if an inadequate one at the moment.

You're welcome Barb, just all the best with the ongoing and you've put the latter so well, there's nothing to add.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Thank you for for the kind words. I'll worry until the rest of the family gets through this. Funny how tragedy can bring people together, and remind us how precious each of us is to one another. It's a consolation, if an inadequate one at the moment.

You and your family are in my thoughts tonight, Barbarian. Very much hoping you'll all stay well, please all of you take good care of yourselves.

chair

Explanation: Mask box label is legitimate, but people are misinterpreting it. The N95 respirator offers the most protection against viral particles for the wearer because it can filter very small aerosol particles. But other masks, like the ones in the photo or homemade fabric masks, are effective in reducing the spread of the disease because they help stop asymptomatic individuals from unknowingly spreading the disease.

eider

What a wise warning to print! How sensible!
So although masks can protect the wearer from involuntary hand-to-face contact and reduce the affects of an involuntary sneeze or normal breathing etc, the manufacturers realise that some countries' tort laws and pay-outs are absolutely crazy. So they put warnings like that on the box to protect themselves from vexatious litigants.

Look...... it's easy..... I walk out on the local foreshore and collect oysters which I know how to clean, cook, and eat safely. But when some folks see me bringing oysters ashore they are in shock horror because there are signs all along the coast which read 'Don't eat the shellfish!'. The Council is just covering itself in case of idiots eating shellfish without safe preparation.

You see?
These masks can't save you = protection against folks who abuse them and then cry 'foul'.
Don't eat the shellfish = protection against folks who might eat unclean, uncooked shellfish and then cry 'foul'.

It's easy......... Just wear masks sensibly. :)