Muslim flight attendant suspended over serving alcohol

So many gays!

BANNED
Banned
If you think that queers getting married is legal, simply because the SCOTUS says so, then you're not Christian.

Ever heard of separation of church and state? It doesn't matter whether I'm Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, or Sikh. Church matters are separate from those of the state, and marriage is a matter of the state by law

GuySmiley

In reality, neither have been fired. Kim and this woman should have stepped down. Don't you think?
No, Kim Davis should do what she thinks is right, and the government should make accommodations. The alternative is to have elected officials agree to a government approved set of beliefs before someone can be elected. I don't like that alternative.

So many gays!

BANNED
Banned
No, Kim Davis should do what she thinks is right, and the government should make accommodations. The alternative is to have elected officials agree to a government approved set of beliefs before someone can be elected. I don't like that alternative.

What? Why should the government make accommodations if a private enterprise shouldn't?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Kim Davis was in the right. This woman is in the wrong. She knew serving alcohol was part of her job when she applied for it.

And you're telling me that the county clerk didn't know that serving out marriage licenses to whomever legally applied wasn't? Nice argument

soon to be permabanned troll hastily moves the goalposts hoping nobody notices:
oops
somebody noticed

I think Aimiel and doser are right there. You moved the goalposts from 'serving out marriage licenses when there was no legal right to marry queers' to 'serving out marriage licenses to whomever legally applied'.

Having said all that, I am not sure this is the central issue here. Whilst religious convictions are necessarily personal, this doesn't mean that anyone can go around refusing to work because of some supposedly religious issue. If there was evidence that it was common in that religion to act in a certain way, then I say fine, uphold the religious conviction. But in this case I am not so sure. I don't think there is any particular prohibition on Muslims from serving alcohol to another person. The prohibition is on drinking it yourself. Similarly, I don't see anything in the Christian religion which prohibits performing an administrative function relating to marriage of perverts, even though the Bible is quite clear that they are exactly that.

In other words, I tend to the view that if you really have such convictions, then you should leave the job and not cry about it. It is your voluntary sacrifice as a religious person, not your right to be treated differently to others. Being religious should not give you more rights than everyone else.

GuySmiley

What? Why should the government make accommodations if a private enterprise shouldn't?
I didn't say a private enterprise shouldn't. But they can do whatever they feel is best within the law. The government can't tell people who to vote for. Kim Davis can be impeached but Kentucky apparently doesn't have the collective will to do that.

So many gays!

BANNED
Banned
I didn't say a private enterprise shouldn't. But they can do whatever they feel is best within the law. The government can't tell people who to vote for. Kim Davis can be impeached but Kentucky apparently doesn't have the collective will to do that.

Regardless of what Kentucky says, the Supreme Court ruled on this matter. She is an employee of the government, and as such she is subject to their whims. If she doesn't like it, guess what? She can quit. That's her right. And nothing would be held against her in that case. However, she decided to defy the Supreme Court, and in doing such dug her own grave.

As an employee, she is subject to the same rules as any other employee of any other employer. Her right to "religious freedom (despite her disregarding laws about divorce in the Bible)" ends when it infringes upon the civil liberties of other people

So many gays!

BANNED
Banned
she is an employee of the state government responsible for adhering to state law

what state law did she violate?

I'm not sure if she did, but Supreme Court trumps state court as it has throughout history, no? As someone else mentioned, South Carolina and Alabama had interracial marriage as illegal up until the late 1990s. Is interracial marriage in 1998 good with you?

GuySmiley

Regardless of what Kentucky says, the Supreme Court ruled on this matter. She is an employee of the government, and as such she is subject to their whims. If she doesn't like it, guess what? She can quit. That's her right. And nothing would be held against her in that case. However, she decided to defy the Supreme Court, and in doing such dug her own grave.

As an employee, she is subject to the same rules as any other employee of any other employer. Her right to "religious freedom (despite her disregarding laws about divorce in the Bible)" ends when it infringes upon the civil liberties of other people
It appears she isn't subject to their whims as she is still following her own whims. She isn't an employee, she's an elected official. She can't be fired. The only recourse against her is impeachment.

Do you feel the same way about the police chief in Washington DC who will only give out concealed carry licenses to people who demonstrate a need beyond self defense? A court ordered her to issue licenses without people demonstrating that need but she still isn't. She hasn't spent time in jail. There are two sheriffs in California doing the same thing against court orders.

So many gays!

BANNED
Banned
It appears she isn't subject to their whims as she is still following her own whims. She isn't an employee, she's an elected official. She can't be fired. The only recourse against her is impeachment.
Or she steps down. It's pretty simple.

Do you feel the same way about the police chief in Washington DC who will only give out concealed carry licenses to people who demonstrate a need beyond self defense? A court ordered her to issue licenses without people demonstrating that need but she still isn't. She hasn't spent time in jail. There are two sheriffs in California doing the same thing against court orders.

A. What is a need beyond self-defense?

B. She has to do what her job requires her to do. Her personal qualms should be set aside or she should resign. Again, it's pretty simple.

GuySmiley

Or she steps down. It's pretty simple.

A. What is a need beyond self-defense?

B. She has to do what her job requires her to do. Her personal qualms should be set aside or she should resign. Again, it's pretty simple.
What if she (in either case) doesn't? There's no provision to make her, and making her step down by definition isn't stepping down, its being fired, which cant happen. So what do we do now?

I suppose beyond self defense might be private investigators, or bounty hunters, security guards.

So many gays!

BANNED
Banned
What if she (in either case) doesn't? There's no provision to make her, and making her step down by definition isn't stepping down, its being fired, which cant happen. So what do we do now?
Then she defies the Supreme Court and goes to jail. See: reality.

I suppose beyond self defense might be private investigators, or bounty hunters, security guards.

While I agree that these specific individuals should have exemption, if the law says otherwise than no one has the right to violate that. However, I'm fairly certain that all of the above mentioned have the ability to purchase firearms and licenses

GuySmiley

Then she defies the Supreme Court and goes to jail. See: reality.
Another part of reality is that she went to jail and it didn't change her mind.

While I agree that these specific individuals should have exemption, if the law says otherwise than no one has the right to violate that. However, I'm fairly certain that all of the above mentioned have the ability to purchase firearms and licenses
Yes, those types of people are getting concealed carry licenses, but others who legally should be able to are not.