Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Never thought I’d side with an atheist but it is what it is if James White’s idea of God is correct.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Never thought I’d side with an atheist but it is what it is if James White’s idea of God is correct.
So, what if I don't have three hours to watch the video?

Can you give us the punch line or maybe the time in the video where James White's idea of God is presented?

As for agreeing with an atheist, that's the same way I felt about reading Ayn Rand.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I'm 11 minutes in and find out that James White is a member of a Reformed Baptist church.

I somehow have the feeling that he's going to lose this debate.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I'm 11 minutes in and find out that James White is a member of a Reformed Baptist church.

Well, if it's anything like when Bob or Dr. Leighton Flowers debated him, then yeah, probably

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Sorry. I guess that was pretty bummy to expect people would have the time to watch the whole thing to get what I mean. But I do recommend it if you do have the time. To try and sum it up, the atheist is saying, if White’s God of the Bible (predestined people to hell) is true then the New Testament is evil. And he’d be right.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Sorry. I guess that was pretty bummy to expect people would have the time to watch the whole thing to get what I mean. But I do recommend it if you do have the time. To try and sum it up, the atheist is saying, if White’s God of the Bible (predestined people to hell) is true then the New Testament is evil. And he’d be right.
I've made it through the first hour of the video and, like you said, his argument is, in effect, if Calvinism is true then God is unjust.

He's right as rain on that specific point. No doubt about it.

So, Poly, have you ever read or listened too Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged"? If you haven't then you're one of the few Christians I'd be comfortable with recommending it to. I don't recommend it for anyone who isn't familiar with Bob Enyart's ministry because the arguments Rand makes through the mouths of the characters in that book would shake, if not break, the faith of most Christians. She was, as Bob used to say, "wickedly brilliant."

Anyway, the reason I bring it up is because, with the exception of the Creation vs. Evolution (i.e. young earth vs. old earth) debate, I've never seen an atheist make an argument against Christianity that was based on a doctrine that is actually taught in the bible. They'll attack predestination, original sin, hatred of money, communism (i.e. Acts 2), or any number of other things that various Christians have taught over the years but that the bible itself does not. The debate you've presented is a great example, as are the arguments presented in Atlas Shrugged.

It's sort of nice to have a theology that isn't ever touched at all by what the atheists think are their best arguments!

Clete

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've never seen an atheist make an argument against Christianity that was based on a doctrine that is actually taught in the bible. They'll attack predestination, original sin, hatred of money, communism (i.e. Acts 2), or any number of other things that various Christians have taught over the years but that the bible itself does not. The debate you've presented is a great example, as are the arguments presented in Atlas Shrugged.
Exactly. Sometimes atheists/non Christian’s are actually borrowing from what we stand on to make a point.

No I haven’t read it but it sounds very interesting. I’ll give it a go.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Exactly. Sometimes atheists/non Christian’s are actually borrowing from what we stand on to make a point.

No I haven’t read it but it sounds very interesting. I’ll give it a go.
It's much better if you get the audio book!

There are two versions of the audio book, you want the older one - for sure! You want the one that is read by Christopher Hurt.