Objective Morality

oatmeal

God objectively gave us instructions to follow on what is right vs wrong, good vs. evil.

God knows and God told us.

It is up to us to decide to learn and do.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
God objectively gave us instructions to follow on what is right vs wrong, good vs. evil.

God knows and God told us.

It is up to us to decide to learn and do.

I don't disagree with this sentiment. Just as it is good for a child to learn that, "Because I said so.", is a sufficient reason to obey his parents, so also is it sufficient for us to obey God.

However, this is only the beginning of wisdom. Just as simple obedience is good for the child, understanding is good for the more mature. Eventually, as a parent, one must begin to explain the moral reasons why their child is asked to do certain things so that when he is no longer a child, he will be able to do rightly without the need for constant parental guidence on every issue. God wishes us to be wise and to understand Him and His ways so that we might be like Him and walk with Him and relate to Him with humble confidence as sons and daughters, not as obedient groveling slaves or small children.

Resting in Him,
Clete

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Hope this doesn't derail your thread, but here are a series of questions about morality that can really challenge a person... You might be familiar with the fat man and the train?
http://www.philosophyexperiments.com/fatman/
Don't be surprised if you contradict yourself as you answer the questions.
I do not find this to be a real test of a persons morals. The situations are extremely contrived and only two choices are possible. I have to chose one or the other when I reality, there may be a third option I would opt for. It may be along the lines of would you be willing to sacrifice yourself in order to save all 6 people on the rail road tracks.

jsanford108

I do not find this to be a real test of a persons morals. The situations are extremely contrived and only two choices are possible. I have to chose one or the other when I reality, there may be a third option I would opt for. It may be along the lines of would you be willing to sacrifice yourself in order to save all 6 people on the rail road tracks.

Also, such questions give all knowledge to a situation. In many of those situations, such omnipotence is impossible. One would, hypothetically, have only limited information to each circumstance.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL