OK, maybe i need to apologize to some Americans..

republicanchick

Yeh, my thread about OJ and what a dumb decision the jury made letting that maniacal killer go free.. the implication was that most Americans are dumb.

I don't believe that. I believe they are actually very intelligent (most of them). But this is the problem:

Many "things" interfere with people USING their intelligence wisely!

yes, many things, things like:

fear of being called Racist... yeh, we all know about that one... ad nauseum

things like: Hey, this is OJ! We can't convict an American icon...

etc... etc...

Geez, people... USE your intelligence, don't let it get stuck in the unimportant, the irrelevant, the minutiae... the con artist words of unethical (redundancy alert) lawyers

(yeh, I know... apologies to Andrew Nepalitano, Jeanine Piro and others...)

+

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yeh, my thread about OJ and what a dumb decision the jury made letting that maniacal killer go free.. the implication was that most Americans are dumb.

I don't believe that. I believe they are actually very intelligent (most of them). But this is the problem:

The USA is 30th in the world of the most intelligent countries. So don't kid yourself. Christians should not be worrying about this. Your IQ won't be asked when you get to the pearly gates.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

I don't believe that. I believe they are actually very intelligent (most of them).
More people than not are average and that's neither particularly smart or particularly stupid.

Many "things" interfere with people USING their intelligence wisely!
Sure. A want of substantive education that would teach them how to address inherent bias, reach and test logical conclusions, etc.

yes, many things, things like: fear of being called Racist... yeh, we all know about that one... ad nauseum
If you're afraid something you're about to say will be considered racist the chances are there's something wrong in it.

things like: Hey, this is OJ! We can't convict an American icon...
Never heard or read a soul taking that line.

Geez, people... USE your intelligence, don't let it get stuck in the unimportant, the irrelevant, the minutiae... the con artist words of unethical (redundancy alert) lawyers
See, that was ignorant. And if you had a better education you'd be more likely to recognize it and self edit.

(yeh, I know... apologies to Andrew Nepalitano, Jeanine Piro and others...)
:plain:

Morpheus

The USA is 30th in the world of the most intelligent countries. So don't kid yourself. Christians should not be worrying about this. Your IQ won't be asked when you get to the pearly gates.

:doh: You meant 9th! :chuckle: Good point though, God isn't going to test you on this one :)

Actually neither number is necessarily accurate. The U.S. could be no higher than 22nd since rankings 1-8 include 21 countries that definitely have a higher average IQ. Since ranking 9 is listed alphabetically the U.S. falls somewhere in the group running from 22-30 in the list. Sorry, but with an IQ in the mid 150s I always did screw up the bell curve in the classroom as a kid. Just be thankful that I haven't moved out of the country or the U.S. might drop to 31st. :chuckle:

musterion

The USA is 30th in the world of the most intelligent countries.

Maybe, maybe not. One reason U.S. public school test scores are abysmal is because many other nations refuse to test or even school the lower functioning students the U.S. include in its own scores. That is NOT the only reason the U.S. has low test scores but it should be factored in when comparing us to other nations who don't count those kids.

musterion

Sorry, but with an IQ in the mid 150s

People with common sense, taste and dignity never broadcast their IQ score. Trumpeting it tends to defeat the point they think they're making, leading others to disbelieve them. The higher it is, the more reticent a wise person will be.

Lon

Actually neither number is necessarily accurate. The U.S. could be no higher than 22nd since rankings 1-8 include 21 countries that definitely have a higher average IQ. Since ranking 9 is listed alphabetically the U.S. falls somewhere in the group running from 22-30 in the list. Sorry, but with an IQ in the mid 150s I always did screw up the bell curve in the classroom as a kid. Just be thankful that I haven't moved out of the country or the U.S. might drop to 31st. :chuckle:
Means and medians are a bit different than averages. We are seventh on the median (which means there are only 7 ranking scores above us).

We are ten points behind the highest country's "average" and within 8 points of the second highest average. The ranking is 9th because we share the ninth highest scores with others that attained the same.

You don't count the number of countries above us, but look at scores above 98. There are only the 7 or 8 *(they didn't give those details).

Statistics and analysis aren't always as straight forward but in this case, the scores, not the countries, are what gives ranking.

Morpheus

People with common sense, taste and dignity never broadcast their IQ score. Trumpeting it tends to defeat the point they think they're making, leading others to disbelieve them. The higher it is, the more reticent a wise person will be.

Personally I never considered an IQ something to take pride in. People are each born with gifts and talents. Those are all God given and therefore not accomplishments. Society also either grants or denies opportunities, frequently depending upon factors that have nothing to do with our talents and gifts, such as race, ethnicity, family income bracket, family functionality, neighborhood, etc. The only reason someone might have reason to boast would be if they work to achieve their fullest potential in spite of any obstacles. There are very successful people with quite average intelligence. There are very successful people with below average intelligence who have other gifts and talents. Then there are those of us who squander or drink away their gifts by allowing the obstacles to beat them down in their youth. Then again, some of us learn not measure success by test scores or income.

So IQ is no big deal. Even the testing is flawed; a good psychologist (they do the testing) will admit it. What is more likely, considering the rather narrow range across the list, is that the study shows each society's relative commitment to education. IQ is affected,at least by a few points, by education. Intellect is fairly evenly distributed across all races, ethnicities and nationalities.

Any reference to personal experience was only done for comedic purposes. Note that I included the smiley, and I rarely do

Morpheus

Means and medians are a bit different than averages. We are seventh on the median (which means there are only 7 ranking scores above us).

We are ten points behind the highest country's "average" and within 8 points of the second highest average. The ranking is 9th because we share the ninth highest scores with others that attained the same.

You don't count the number of countries above us, but look at scores above 98. There are only the 7 or 8 *(they didn't give those details).

Statistics and analysis aren't always as straight forward but in this case, the scores, not the countries, are what gives ranking.
Yet when you are ranking by nation you have to consider that there are several nations in many of the rankings, therefore there are 21 nations that ranked ahead of the U.S. even though there were only 8 higher rankings. In a race if 1 car wins and 2 exactly tie for second the next car is not 3rd, but it is 4th. In this study, by nation, Singapore ranked 1st, South Korea ranked 2nd, Japan ranked 3rd, Italy ranked 4th, two countries tied for 5th, Switzerland would be 7th, six countries tied for 8th, eight countries tied for 14th, and nine countries, including the U.S., tied for 22nd. There may be nine ranking positions, but those positions have 30 nations in them. You said, "look at scores above 98", but if you do you realize that 21 countries returned scores of 99 or higher. The U.S. could rank nationally no higher than 22nd.

Then again, I found the study almost useless, and this thread barely deserves any attention.

PureX

Christians should not be worrying about this. Your IQ won't be asked when you get to the pearly gates.
No, but the willful ignorance that a lot of Christians wrongly call "faith" might be a significant issue.

It's the IQ as an "ignorance quotient" that will matter.

PureX

There you go again, judging with zero authority on which to do so. Typical leftist.
There you go again, assuming that we humans need someone else's authority to think, speak, and make judgments about observed behaviors.