Parents promise lawsuit after son dies in Adams County jail

Quetzal

Tyler Tabor told medical staff at the Adams County Detention Facility he was going through a heroin withdrawal when he was booked May 14 for outstanding warrants.

His parents said the 25-year-old should’ve never died from dehydration three days later while still in custody.

"I absolutely feel like they dropped the ball out there and, yeah, they took my son from me out there,” said Tabor's father, Ray Tabor.

Tabor’s death was ruled “natural causes” and last week, Adams County District Attorney Dave Young released his report that found no criminal negligence on the part of jail staff.

But Ray Tabor said the district attorney’s report raises disturbing questions about his son’s treatment.

“He asked for an IV. He was falling on the floor. How do you just pass by that?” Ray Tabor said.

In the investigative report, a nurse admitted Tabor asked for an IV treatment the night before he died but, “she told him they try not to use IV's unless it's absolutely necessary.”

Tabor's mother, Michele McLean, said it was obvious her son needed more than Gatorade.

“The fact that he couldn't even hold his medication to take his pill, that should be a red flag for anybody," McLean said.

The report into the death noted that at times Tabor would lose his balance, and needed deputies to hold him up and help him take his medication.

A routine “row check” at 5 a.m. on May 17 didn’t take place because deputies said they were dealing with two other incidents inside the jail at the time.

At 5:25 a.m., deputies noticed Tabor was having trouble breathing and had a nurse check his vitals. An ambulance arrived, but Tabor died before he made it to a hospital.

“We want something to change so nobody else has to go through this,” McLean said.

In his report, Young said medical staff appeared to follow established protocol and that even if deputies had made their 5 a.m. rounds, it’s unlikely they would’ve noticed Tabor's breathing troubles, based on jailhouse video that investigators have reviewed.

Tabor's parents have hired Denver attorney David Lane and said the Adams County Detention Facility and the private contractor it uses to provide medical services, Corizon Health, can expect a lawsuit.

“Addiction is addiction, that doesn't make that person a bad person,” McLean said.

Source

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

About the dehydration, do you notice there is a sink in the cell with him? He had access to hydration.

They also gave him Gatorade - his own mother said it and according to your article he was checked out by a nurse before the check when they called an ambulance.

While i am sorry to hear that he died, which can happen when someone is coming off heroin addiction, i cant see how the jail is to blame, he was given his meds, and he was given hydration.

Do you think every high person or drunk should be taken to the hospital when they are arrested?

Quetzal

About the dehydration, do you notice there is a sink in the cell with him? He had access to hydration.

They also gave him Gatorade - his own mother said it and according to your article he was checked out by a nurse before the check when they called an ambulance.

While i am sorry to hear that he died, which can happen when someone is coming off heroin addiction, i cant see how the jail is to blame, he was given his meds, and he was given hydration.

Do you think every high person or drunk should be taken to the hospital when they are arrested?
Those are interesting questions and I did a bit of digging. Apparently it was heroin and when you are coming down from it, you cannot keep liquids down. From what I read, when this happens, he needs an IV.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Those are interesting questions and I did a bit of digging. Apparently it was heroin and when you are coming down from it, you cannot keep liquids down. From what I read, when this happens, he needs an IV.

Thats when you aren't being medicated off it. He was on medication, not cold turkey and was checked out by a nurse. His death was due to respiration issues, not dehydration, his death was due to natural causes.

I can understand how his mother wants to blame someone because of her sons addiction issues, but unless more information comes out, i dont see her winning this.

There is no way to know how much damage he had already done to himself and thats not the jails fault.

rexlunae

Thats when you aren't being medicated off it.

No. He needed the IV because he couldn't drink fluids orally, because of the withdrawal. He wasn't given that, hence the death of dehydration, and hence observing that he had a sink to get water is insufficient. The point of the IV is to keep him alive and hydrated.

It's actually exactly the same treatment you might receive if you went into a hospital with norovirus.

PureX

Clearly, he should have been under medical supervision. We know this because he is now dead from the lack of it. A person under medical supervision would not have died from insufficient hydration. He should have been taken to a hospital to be checked out, before locking him in a jail cell because keeping a human being alive is more important than locking him up for some minor crime.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

I don't think death occurs from heroin withdrawals, it rarely, if ever happens. Alcohol withdrawal can kill more frequently.

Pat Moore Foundation:
Can Heroin Withdrawal Kill You?

Heroin withdrawal is an acute state induced by the dramatic reduction or cessation of the use of heroin. Withdrawal happens after a person has been abusing the drug for a time period and then decides to stop. The symptoms normally begin from six to twelve hours after taking your last dose and peaks within a day or two, gradually subsiding over a week. However, some patients may experience withdrawal symptoms spanning over weeks or months.

Heroin withdrawal differs from individual to individual. In case you or somebody you care about is going through heroin withdrawal, it is recommended to immediately seek medical attention. The medical personnel in an emergency room are capable of treating the symptoms and can direct you to the care of a detox center for the duration of your withdrawal. The medical staff can also refer you or your loved one to a qualified psychiatrist who will be able to help with the mental aspects of heroin addiction.

Can you die from heroin withdrawal?

Death from heroin addiction is very unlikely, but it can occur as a result of seizures or respiratory complications. Withdrawal arising from high heroin doses can cause seizures. Having a seizure increases the risk of respiratory failure which can consequently cause death. Seeking medical attention can help in preempting such fatalities, as medical personnel are trained to handle such situations. They can also give very valuable information to you and your loved one about other appropriate treatment options.

During withdrawal, the patient can experience a myriad of symptoms ranging from insomnia to loss of body fluids to fever. Being under the care of medical staff specializing in managing withdrawal can help patients in smoothly sailing through the process. This is the best reason for seeking medical treatment from a detox center. Even though the withdrawal process is a rather painful process, it is an essential phase of recovery and patients have to go through it in order to completely recover from heroin addiction.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The reality is there, we hear much more of it in an interconnected world, and we stand up for ourselves and figure out how to best navigate through this new reality.

Police vs. People
Violence vs. Negotiation
The Kingdom of God vs. the everyday default reality.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
That doesn't mean it's the last word on the subject.

Records show that he kept down fluids and he was monitored over 3 days by medical staff. The jail is not responsible for his long term addiction that resulted in his death. How do you think he was taking meds in jail, the medical staff gave it to him, should they have given him heroin?

Do liberals ever believe that things happen sometimes because of no personal responsibility?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The reality is there, we hear much more of it in an interconnected world, and we stand up for ourselves and figure out how to best navigate through this new reality.

Police vs. People
Violence vs. Negotiation
The Kingdom of God vs. the everyday default reality.

Holy Toledo Aikido, you make sense !!!

rexlunae

Records show that he kept down fluids and he was monitored over 3 days by medical staff. The jail is not responsible for his long term addiction that resulted in his death. How do you think he was taking meds in jail, the medical staff gave it to him, should they have given him heroin?

Do liberals ever believe that things happen sometimes because of no personal responsibility?

I believe that there will be a trial, and an outcome from a jury. I was just clarifying what the mother was claiming, since you seemed to be misunderstanding it. I don't see much point in trying to pass judgement from the bench of the Internet.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

No, no. Liberals totally believe in personal responsibility...but only when the persons involved are wearing a badge and uniform. :nono: