Pastor brags about punching kid in the chest

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Absolutely nothing would "require"---or permit---a so-called "pastor" to put a hand on my child. Period.

you don't believe those in authority should have the right to deal out corporal punishments to the misbehaving children in their charge?

Christian Liberty

you don't believe those in authority should have the right to deal out corporal punishments to the misbehaving children in their charge?

No self-defined "pastor" is in any way "in charge" of my children. The answer is "no."

I'm inclined to agree with you, but that also wasn't "corporal punishment." That was a pastor getting angry and punching someone, ie. assault.

I wouldn't call the cops, which is really little better than calling the mafia and won't likely solve the problem. But I would definitely have words with him.

Cruciform

a youth pastor on an outing with some of the children in his church isn't in charge?
Being "in charge" of such a situation means keeping the kids safe and sound, feeding them, instructing them. It certainly does not mean striking or placing hands on my child. Ever.

Morpheus

Being "in charge" of such a situation means keeping the kids safe and sound, feeding them, instructing them. It certainly does not mean striking or placing hands on my child. Ever.

Strange. Even though I was beaten repeatedly as a child, in 40 years of being left responsible for hundreds of other peoples kids, some extremely unruly, I never once found it necessary to punch one. The only one I ever spanked was a 12-year-old who was left for my wife and I to raise with his sister. His sister is still our daughter, but he had to be sent away after he was found to be molesting smaller children, and then tried to burn down a couple of homes. Yes he is a sociopath. Other than that, there are always better methods of managing young people.

Christian Liberty

Its one thing to say that pastors and other authorities can engage in corporal punishment. Note that I am not saying they can (I'd prefer they didn't) but that's an argument that I think could be had. If I had kids and the pastor and I couldn't see eye to eye on this issue, I wouldn't put the kid under his care. I can deal with that.

Its another thing to condone "punching a kid in the chest", which is clearly not intentional corporal punishment, but assault.

resodko

BANNED
Banned

so the youth pastor in that situation would be in charge of your child

if your child was acting in a disruptive and dangerous (to themselves or others) manner, what would you have the pastor do?

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Its one thing to say that pastors and other authorities can engage in corporal punishment. Note that I am not saying they can (I'd prefer they didn't) but that's an argument that I think could be had. If I had kids and the pastor and I couldn't see eye to eye on this issue, I wouldn't put the kid under his care. I can deal with that.

Its another thing to condone "punching a kid in the chest", which is clearly not intentional corporal punishment, but assault.

what makes the difference between "intentional corporal punishment" and "assault"?

Morpheus

what makes the difference between "intentional corporal punishment" and "assault"?

Very little. But by law in some states they still allow spanking with an open hand on a clothed backside as long as it does not leave a mark or become excessive. Anything else is considered assault and/or abuse. Even pulling a child around by his arm can be considered assault.

Cruciform

so the youth pastor in that situation would be in charge of your child.
Only in the restricted sense just described.

if your child was acting in a disruptive and dangerous (to themselves or others) manner, what would you have the pastor do?
Contact the child's parent. (Note, the "pastor" is not his parent.) No one puts a hand on my child.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Contact the child's parent. (Note, the "pastor" is not his parent.) No one puts a hand on my child.

in the situation in the op, that's the route I'd take - make little cruci sit out the activities and miss playing with the other kids and have a nice long talk with the parents when they came to collect him

suppose his behavior was endangering others?

suppose we're crossing the street as a group holding hands and he starts horsing around with a couple of other kids and won't respond to verbal admonishments?

what then?

Cruciform

in the situation in the op, that's the route I'd take - make little cruci sit out the activities and miss playing with the other kids and have a nice long talk with the parents when they came to collect him.
That would be acceptable.

suppose his behavior was endangering others? suppose we're crossing the street as a group holding hands and he starts horsing around with a couple of other kids and won't respond to verbal admonishments? what then?
In that case, one would do what any adult bystander would do. The child may even need to be physically restrained---again, in order to protect him and/or others. This is not, however, the same as a non-parent striking the child or administering some sort of physical punishment. That's an absolute no-no.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

The Berean

reminds me of:

Dang! Old school! I still have "fond" memories of my 5th grade teacher, Mr. Templeman, grabbing me by the head and shaking me to drag me into class because I didn't hear him the first time! Ironically, he was one of my favorite teachers in elementary school.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
one of my favorites in middle school was mr hughes, the band teacher

I still have vivid memories of the day he couldn't get us quieted down and threw a metal music stand across the classroom :chuckle:

prolly get fired for that today

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
Jesus possessed divine and messianic authority. You and I decidedly do not. So much for using Jesus' cleansing of the Temple as an excuse for being a jacka**.

I suppose there's always the other way

cns4kaufmann2001_1.jpg