Poll: Testing for immunity to MMR before vaccination

Poll: Testing for immunity to MMR before vaccination

• Total voters

elohiym

Functionally, I would get the booster if there was cause and forgo the test.

The cause is your MMR may no longer be effective and you don't know. Suddenly you don't care about the most vulnerable. You care about them only if my children are not vaccinated; you see other people as the threat, but not you. Your attitude is hypocritical.

That said, I still think your poll is poorly formed as it only allows for the end points when, in reality, there are valid points in between that you are ignoring to better serve your end game.

The only reason you gave for getting the booster is if you travel to a country where mumps infections are prevalent. You could have answered yes, if you really believe that. What is the reason you could have answered no?

The logical reason you should get tested routinely: your MMR may no longer be effective and you are putting the must vulnerable in our society at risk. It's virtually the same reason you want vaccinations for school mandated.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The cause is your MMR may no longer be effective and you don't know. Suddenly you don't care about the most vulnerable. You care about them only if my children are not vaccinated; you see other people as the thread, but not you. Your attitude is hypocritical.
Not really. We vaccinate for childhood illnesses to protect our children during their formative years. Once we reach our adult years, the vaccinations are less important as our immune systems are stronger and the diseases are well controlled. If a MMR outbreak of some sort were to occur then I would be quite happy to go get a booster shot.

The only reason you gave for getting the booster is if you travel to a country where mumps infections are prevalent. You could have answered yes, if you really believe that. What is the reason you could have answered no?
Your poll is intentionally misleading the way it is formed. When taking an oath we swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Answering your poll with a yes or no may be truthful, but it is not the whole truth because few people fall into the always yes or always no camp. As such, your poll does not reveal the whole truth.

The logical reason you should get tested routinely: your MMR may no longer be effective and you are putting the must vulnerable in our society at risk. It's virtually the same reason you want vaccinations for school mandated.
I find your logic flawed. We found through years of experience that vaccination for children is extremely effective at controlling infectious diseases for the life of the individual as well as for society as a whole. There is no indication that a booster shot for adults provides any enhanced control of the diseases. IF and outbreak occurs then boosters may be warranted.