Pope on Climate Change

Quetzal

Most of you know my position on this, so I will spare you. But I am curious as to what you think about the Pope's take on the issue:

whV1Qgs.png

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Since the Jesus I read about in the New Testament seems to be entranced and aware of God's creation, I see no difference in his and the Pope's position.

I am not claiming Francis is a new Jesus, but his "servant leadership" and his behavior reflecting Jesus's ethics means there are some important commonalities.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I think that the pope is a lefty liberal, and the fact that he buys into the climate change scam, or that man has it within his power to change the climate makes him look like as big of buffoon as those that are proposing it. It does not surprise me a bit that this man follows the folly of men, instead of preaching the Gospel...Pretty lame to say the least.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I think that the pope is a lefty liberal, and the fact that he buys into the climate change scam, or that man has it within his power to change the climate makes him look like as big of buffoon as those that are proposing it. It does not surprise me a bit that this man follows the folly of men, instead of preaching the Gospel...Pretty lame to say the least.

Great answer, mine too.

glorydaz

Great answer, mine too.

Yep....I couldn't agree more.

Alate_One

Thing is the Pope is actually following scripture as far as his attitudes on the poor.

As far as climate goes apparently most of you think burning ten billion tons of coal per year won't have any effect on the earth. (That's on top of other fossil fuels)

Do you deniers also deny CO2 levels are increasing?

OCTOBER23

Revelation 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead,

that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants

the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great;

and should destroy them which destroy the earth.

Last edited:

Quetzal

Few follow up questions for those who are skeptical of climate change.

1. Climate change is a theory that is accepted by many different countries, making this an international topic of study. Does this impact your opinion at all?

2. If you believe it is a hoax, why? What do the various world governments have to gain from this? In other words, why would someone put this all together?

3.There is a large amount of data from a variety of international sources that suggest the climate is changing. What do you think of this? Is all of this data fabricated?

4. Does the Pope advocating for this theory change your opinion of him?

Last edited:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I think the fall out from the Japanese bombs are still up there eating away the ozone....the scientists and politicians are covering their buttes in the time honoured way.....of blaming the people

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Apparently most of you think burning ten billion tons of coal per year won't have any effect on the Earth.
It will have some effect. However, given that the carbon was trapped in the coal while things were alive indicates there will be no significant impact on the planet's habitability.
Do you deniers also deny [that atmospheric] CO2 levels are increasing?
Most likely they have risen a little, but the satellite data will soon show that they are fairly stable.

Alate_One

It will have some effect. However, given that the carbon was trapped in the coal while things were alive indicates there will be no significant impact on the planet's habitability.
The sun was much weaker when the carbon was trapped in coal, and it's being burned at an incredibly fast rate.

I am not worried so much about the planet becoming uninhabitable, it's the rapid changes that will cause economic and social instability to an extreme degree. Areas where crops can be grown will be shifting, combined with more extreme weather events leading to food shortages. Lots of people will die.

If you think the mass migration from Syria is bad. It's nothing compared to what will happen as climate begins to become less and less like what we are used to. When major cities around the globe are slowly inundated with seawater and people have to leave, there will be war, pestilence, starvation etc.

In fact the starting point of the Syrian war may have been a long term drought exacerbated by climate change.

Most likely they have risen a little, but the satellite data will soon show that they are fairly stable.

It's not just atmospheric CO2. Oceans are also acidifying.

figure2.gif

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Climate change is a real issue. It is naive at best to think that the amount of fossil fuel we burn on a daily basis had no impact. No one county can"solve" this problem on its own. I hope the Pope can build some consensus between nations to do something. China and India are the biggest contributors right now.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Most of you know my position

And your position is that religion should not try to bring down science. Except when it is convenient for you.

There is no reason NASA can't do research on climate change and engage the Muslim world. To be fair, I think engaging them to make them more accepting of math and science is important.

Just wondering.....What climate change are you talking about?

Quetzal

Just wondering.....What climate change are you talking about?
You are taking that post way out of context. The question was: Why is one of the goals of NASA to reach out to the Islamic world? That is not a question being addressed here. Thank you.

HisServant

Most of you know my position on this, so I will spare you. But I am curious as to what you think about the Pope's take on the issue:

whV1Qgs.png

I believe in climate change and that we are contributors. I also believe it is a natural cycle that we have accelerated.

Given the above, I do think we do owe it to ourselves and the world to curb emissions and try to decelerate the cycle in a manageable process that has yet not been proposed.

Carbon swaps is just the creation of a new gambling market and everywhere it has been tried has ended up being fraught with fraud.

Solar panel production leaves tons of toxic waste that pollutes the ground.

Batteries require rare metals which need to be strip mined and are an environmental disaster and the processing of the metals also produces toxic by products that are had to dispose of properly.

Wind farms are killing birds and other endangered wildlife.

Passive solar (thermal masses) seem to be the only practical and none harmful way to reduce heating and cooling costs.

We need a comprehensive, science based plan, that will not destroy the worlds economies and not damage the environment with concrete milestones and measurable results before I buy in.

Then there is all the fraud in the studies... the fraud in and of itself does not necessarily discredit the entire studies, but it shows that there is a political motive for the scientists and that needs to be resolved so science gets its credibility back.

Quetzal

I believe in climate change and that we are contributors. I also believe it is a natural cycle that we have accelerated.

Given the above, I do think we do owe it to ourselves and the world to curb emissions and try to decelerate the cycle in a manageable process that has yet not been proposed.

Carbon swaps is just the creation of a new gambling market and everywhere it has been tried has ended up being fraught with fraud.

Solar panel production leaves tons of toxic waste that pollutes the ground.

Batteries require rare metals which need to be strip mined and are an environmental disaster and the processing of the metals also produces toxic by products that are had to dispose of properly.

Wind farms are killing birds and other endangered wildlife.

Passive solar (thermal masses) seem to be the only practical and none harmful way to reduce heating and cooling costs.

We need a comprehensive, science based plan, that will not destroy the worlds economies and not damage the environment with concrete milestones and measurable results before I buy in.

Then there is all the fraud in the studies... the fraud in and of itself does not necessarily discredit the entire studies, but it shows that there is a political motive for the scientists and that needs to be resolved so science gets its credibility back.
What do you think of the turbines that are powered by ocean tides?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The sun was much weaker when the carbon was trapped in coal.
No, it wasn't.

It's being burned at an incredibly fast rate.
It doesn't matter how quickly it is burned, only as much as went in can come out.

I am not worried so much about the planet becoming uninhabitable, it's the rapid changes that will cause economic and social instability to an extreme degree. Areas where crops can be grown will be shifting, combined with more extreme weather events leading to food shortages. Lots of people will die.
Or else lots of people will move.

Or perhaps none of the doomsday prophecies — many of which have already failed — will emerge.

If you think the mass migration from Syria is bad. It's nothing compared to what will happen as climate begins to become less and less like what we are used to. When major cities around the globe are slowly inundated with seawater and people have to leave, there will be war, pestilence, starvation etc.
:yawn:

Get a sign and stand on a street corner.

In fact the starting point of the Syrian war may have been a long term drought exacerbated by climate change.
:darwinsm: