Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

• yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • no, please state why in thread

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
They'd probably save money in the long run if they put those who overdose in mandatory rehab after they're treated by EMTs. Lock them up until they're clean, then make them report for testing.

I agree, but these days the liberals think the answer is safe drug use places. Better not allow anyone to feel any shame or remorse or admit they have a problem, but cater to the problem, so they wont seek the Lord.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I believe in operant conditioning.

response cost; Take away a goodie. Take their drivers license, jail is not a good deterrence. take their freedom is not much of a cost to addicts.
punishment; give them a whipping as soon as they are caught. Delay time is far less effective.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I believe in operant conditioning.

response cost; Take away a goodie. Take their drivers license, jail is not a good deterrence. take their freedom is not much of a cost to addicts.
punishment; give them a whipping as soon as they are caught. Delay time is far less effective.

I agree jail isnt good, but being in a rehab would be the right thing, even if they are so bad, they need to be committed against their will. They wont have access to drugs then. Maybe then they can get help for their real condition that has driven them to drugs.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Should taxpayers be on the hook to keep reviving the addicts, time after time, many of which when saved from overdose, walk right back out of the hospital signing themselves out, and shoot up again right away.

Many little towns up north are going bankrupt over this issue.
I don't think taxpayers should be on the hook for any infirmity of anyone.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I agree jail isnt good, but being in a rehab would be the right thing, even if they are so bad, they need to be committed against their will. They wont have access to drugs then. Maybe then they can get help for their real condition that has driven them to drugs.

OK< Rehab by force; in a boot-camp situation; Then, if they are no longer physically addicted, let then out, but if they use again, whip them hard enough to make them fear taking dope again.

They fer pain not detention, and that is why they get hooked in the first, they fear pain mental and physical. Those facing physical pain are less likely to abuse again, while those who cannot deal with life will use again. Why cater to those who fear life? We all have to face hardships in life!

glorydaz

They should be put in a "Mexican like" cell and fed bread and water. We pamper those in rehab...it's got to be painful as Ktoyou says. Put Sheriff Joe in charge.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Heroin use is illegal, abusing prescription drugs/getting them illegitimately is illegal already.
Not my point. Getting high should be illegal, and substances that make you high through normal use should be controlled, and made available ONLY through prescription. That solves not only the "addict" symptom, it solves "how to treat the addict" symptom.

glorydaz

Not my point. Getting high should be illegal, and substances that make you high through normal use should be controlled, and made available ONLY through prescription. That solves not only the "addict" symptom, it solves "how to treat the addict" symptom.

Unfortunately...available only by prescription doesn't mean much. People make lots of money selling those pills, and there are too many doctors who prescribe them too freely. They need other means of pain management, and people need to know they have to deal with a certain amount of pain. It's part of life.

Hilltrot

Well, since necroing old threads seems to be ok, I'll say that the first time I met a crack addict, she offered me oral sex for $10. So no, I don't think shaming would have any effect whatsoever on drug addicts and I think it would would foolish, silly, unwise, mean-hearted, etc. to waste money doing something so stupid.

Hilltrot

Hopefully the picture will help others to see what a dead end lifestyle recreational drug use is. Hopefully it will also help those in the picture to see how they're destroying their and others lives.
Because such pictures have been so helpful in deterring people in the past . . .

1610656378541.png

Did this convince you to put on a mask? Or stay in lock-down? I didn't think so.

Gary K

Banned
Addicts know they are perverted and disgusting. So trying to publicly shame them is useless. They are already filled with shame. As a former addict I know.

The shame is what makes them believe that they cannot change so what's the use of trying? Anything "normies" do to shame them is expected and only reinforces the belief that they are hopeless basket cases and increases their hatred for society as a whole and Christians in particular if they know their tormentor is a Christian.

The only thing that can help them is real friendship, caring, and prayer for "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." God is the only one with the knowledge and power to be able to change the human heart. And the only one that is capable of healing an addict.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Having not had to deal with addicts my whole life until recently, I can see now that the "hard ball" approach I had supported is counter-productive.

Most addicts, depending on your definition of what an addict is, heal themselves. They all know it's bad, but most young people that start taking drugs regularly find lives that are more fulfilling and just don't find a need for chemical escape. They even find it counterproductive which adds to their desire to change their habit.

Knowing that, shaming is only good in a general sense or specific situations. But if you have a personal relationship with them, it's better to let them know you love them enough to be around through their struggle to work for a better life and just not need drugs anymore. That doesn't mean you have to tolerate them when they are under the influence, but if you can communicate to them you'll be there when they are clear headed it's a more effective path to happiness for both you and them. It also doesn't mean any crimes are ignored when they are under the influence, but that crimes will be punished *because* they were under the influence.