Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

• yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • no, please state why in thread

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
ok, so you're equating the police blotter section of a local newspaper with "public shaming"

Good job, you finally figured out the op.

very different from the sort of unregulated online pileon that often happens (and too often leads to suicide)
Very good again, this is NOT what this thread is discussing, you are just desperately trying to insert it.

Since you are so concerned about shaming on social media and comments on others and the comments sections and abuse trolling, you should make your own thread on it.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The accused, to be clear. Their target reader is judgemental people like yourself.

good point

she's reluctant to identify hillary as a felon, but has no qualms about publicly embarrassing someone who has not yet been convicted :think:

methinks angel's just playing games tonight

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
by the way - nice of them to pixilate the kids faces, but show the parents clearly and identify them by name

is it ok for the kids to have to be ashamed of their parents at school?

Now that is relevant to the thread, and a good point. However should the newspaper not report crimes because the child of a criminal might be embarrassed by their parents actions?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The accused, to be clear. Their target readers are judgemental people like yourself.

All suspects are accused, untill tried, doesnt stop the newspapers from reporting crimes having occured, and that last chick with the baby in the back of her van passed out at the dollar general? The needle is still in her hand.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
the mirror online (uk) is not a local newspaper :darwinsm:

but you go right ahead with your silly games :wave2:

Wow, did you miss the myriad of newspaper articles in this thread? Id appreciate it if you would STOP with your silly games. Isnt it about time for the library to close?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
So, public shaming as a deterrent other than throwing people in jail?

No, still throwing them in jail as well, do you believe that posting pics in the paper of them passed out like that or the way they are found and reporting on it, is a deterrent to others or for someone to (use drugs, use heroin, get high in their cars, etc or stop using them and get help)

drbrumley

No, still throwing them in jail as well, do you believe that posting pics in the paper of them passed out like that or the way they are found and reporting on it, is a deterrent to others or for someone to (use drugs, use heroin, get high in their cars, etc or stop using them and get help)

Oh ok....

Let's use the example of the woman who is passed out with a herion needle still stuck in her arm. She has a child in the backseat. Yes, she should be put in jail. Child neglect is a serious crime. And if I recall correctly, most papers already do what you are suggesting. If not there, your local jails have mugshots already with the charges.

Now if there was no child, EXACTLY what crime did she commit? Other than the arbritary Drug War crime of possession.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
All suspects are accused, untill tried, doesnt stop the newspapers from reporting crimes having occured, and that last chick with the baby in the back of her van passed out at the dollar general? The needle is still in her hand.

The only thing shaming people with problems does is produce more of your nastiness. It doesn't deter anything, that is just your abysmal mentality at work.

You all are just slugs who leave a trail of muck behind yall. White washed sepulchers. Vain people with no worth to anyone other than their selves. Slanderers and slatterns.

Get the picture- you're all worldly, two timing hypocrites :rolleyes:

ok doser

The only thing shaming people with problems does is produce more of your nastiness. It doesn't deter anything, that is just your abysmal mentality at work.

the city i used to live in would publicize the names of johns who had been arrested in prostitution arrests

iirc, they did not publicize the names of the prostitutes

not sure it had any affect - i passed the neighborhoods targeted on my way to and from work and there was never any shortage of hookers hanging around

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
she's reluctant to identify hillary as a felon, but has no qualms about publicly embarrassing someone who has not yet been convicted :think:

methinks angel's just playing games tonight
I think OJ was guilty of murder when he was found not guilty, was he a felon after that day in court? I think you dont understand the word felon, there is an application period. Its once they are charged and found guilty. It doesnt apply to a person before that other than being charged with one, for her to BE a felon, she has to be found guilty by a judge or jury in court.

ok doser

I think OJ was guilty of murder when he was found not guilty, was he a felon after that day in court? I think you dont understand the word felon, there is an application period. Its once they are charged and found guilty. It doesnt apply to a person before that other than being charged with one, for her to BE a felon, she has to be found guilty by a judge or jury in court.

does one need a conviction to refer to OJ as a murderer?

i have no qualms calling an abortionist a murderer, yet he will never be convicted until he stands before God

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Oh ok....

Let's use the example of the woman who is passed out with a herion needle still stuck in her arm. She has a child in the backseat. Yes, she should be put in jail. Child neglect is a serious crime. And if I recall correctly, most papers already do what you are suggesting. If not there, your local jails have mugshots already with the charges.

Good point, they already publically shame them, since those are public records, thanks.

Now if there was no child, EXACTLY what crime did she commit? Other than the arbritary Drug War crime of possession.

Your question is irrelevant, if you would like a thread to discuss whether or not drug possession should be a crime, make one, thanks. However, public intoxication could also be charged. She was also that way behind the wheel of a car, not just in the car and depending on local, could also be a crime of dui. Some localities have no tolerance policies, and if one is legally drunk or high while also behind the wheel, with keys in the ignition, they can be charged with DUI/DWI.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
does one need a conviction to refer to OJ as a murderer?

i have no qualms calling an abortionist a murderer, yet he will never be convicted until he stands before God

I can "refer" to him however i want, but it doesnt make him a felon on the charge of murder if he was found not guilty.

ok doser

Good point, they already publically shame them, since those are public records, thanks.

well, no

mugshots are public records, yes, but they're not usually publicly distributed, except for wanted felons (who aren't convicted :think: )

and even in that case, the intent isn't to publicly shame the offender or others who might want to offend, but to enlist the public's help in capturing them