Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

• yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • no, please state why in thread

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Is God wrong for using the Holy Spirit to convict us of our sins so that we turn to Him for forgiveness?

Yes, a person chooses to sin, which includes zoning out on drugs and alcohol.

No one stuck that needle in their arm except them or kept them pulling from that bottle till they passed out.

You're a joke. All of you are, seriously- as I said, a perfect Hell for you would be an eternity of walking in other people's shoes. God doesn't convict you of anything, you're simply a hypocrite who doesn't live up to anything that isn't convenient for you.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You're a joke. All of you are, seriously- as I said, a perfect Hell for you would be an eternity of walking in other people's shoes.

You go first, walk in a womans and then have to spend weeks around only men like yourself, let me know how it works out for you.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You go first, walk in a womans and then have to spend weeks around only men like yourself, let me know how it works out for you.

You could just skip to the last two minutes, where she confesses that being a woman is a privilege. You don't like me because I'm not blind to your lying, manipulative, self serving crap.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

You could just skip to the last two minutes, where she confesses that being a woman is a privilege. You don't like me because I'm not blind to your manipulative, self serving crap.

Wrong, i dont like you because you are a misogynist jerk that whines and makes excuses for men to harm women, then cries like a baby when he gets called on it, and i think you are the most immature guy at tol.

Does that help you better understand my position?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Shaming people with problems is damnable, especially those who suffer with substance abuse. It's a disease, a person doesn't choose to be an addict.
I agree that we need to help people with addiction and not simply try to shame them. That's why in my original post I raised a concern that shaming people with addictions could end up isolating them and the problems would just get worse. But I think we may be able to stigmatize the behavior without shaming particular people.

On the last part, I can agree that once an addiction gets going then it's not something someone can simply control, they certainly choose to start down a path that may lead to addiction.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I agree that we need to help people with addiction and not simply try to shame them. That's why in my original post I raised a concern that shaming people with addictions could end up isolating them and the problems would just get worse. But I think we may be able to stigmatize the behavior without shaming particular people.

On the last part, I can agree that once an addiction gets going then it's not something someone can simply control, they certainly choose to start down a path that may lead to addiction.

And choose whether or not to keep going down it again when they get clean, and choose to get in their car when they are high, or get high there and put their own family or others at risk.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
i don't see much benefit to public shaming (regardless of what i may or may not have said before :p )

for many, the opinion of the public has no influence on their behavior

for some, the pile-on of disapproval (and abuse) can be devastating and may lead to suicide

i just don't see someone like the woman in your picture saying "oh hey - all these strangers on facebook think i'm a terrible person. I should clean up my act"

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Wrong, i dont like you because you are a misogynist jerk that whines and makes excuses for men to harm women, then cries like a baby when he gets called on it, and i think you are the most immature guy at tol.

Does that help you better understand my position?

I don't like you because you are a manipulator who masquerades the subtle misandry you deny you have as mere criticism. As soon as criticism comes to women, you try to all of a sudden bring up platitudes and throw everyone into it. In the thread on consent, you and Tam's arguments backfired completely and that's exactly what you both resorted to.

You simply rely on foolish men to come to your aide, and wouldn't stand knee high to an ant without them in any subject pertaining to feminist ideology. If anyone cries like a baby, it's the infantilized women such as yourself who were the ones to get loud with me and gather the attention of your cronies in the first place.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
i don't see much benefit to public shaming (regardless of what i may or may not have said before :p )

for many, the opinion of the public has no influence on their behavior

for some, the pile-on of disapproval (and abuse) can be devastating and may lead to suicide

i just don't see someone like the woman in your picture saying "oh hey - all these strangers on facebook think i'm a terrible person. I should clean up my act"

Youve never been ashamed of something you were caught in the act doing and that shame kept you from repeating the behavior? I could have sworn that is one of the ways our conscience works, and conviction works, 12 step programs work, etc..

A lot of women like that one in the picture, wake up to what they are doing to their children and lends to the desire to walk in integrity for not just their sake but others.

ok doser

Youve never been ashamed of something you were caught in the act doing ....

of course, and it dint take being caught in the act - i know right and wrong, we all know right and wrong, it's written on our hearts

but i also know that those who are determined to follow a path they know is wrong aren't always (often?) deterred by the disapproval of others

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Then you are totally sensitive to not letting someone know their in sin, like a homosexual, because you dont want to be cause of them committing suicide, and would better let them believe their behavior is ok, even though their lifestyle is not only devestating for themselves but for others, right?

The lack of disapproval is why unrepentant sin runs rampant in society today.

Abuse is not what we are discussing.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
of course, and it dint take being caught in the act - i know right and wrong, we all know right and wrong, it's written on our hearts

but i also know that those who are determined to follow a path they know is wrong aren't always (often?) deterred by the disapproval of others

So you do not agree, conviction works and is a deterrent itself in many cases?

Is it true or false a sin can escalate to be deemed acceptable by society when it hasnt been deemed as inacceptable?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I don't like you because you are a manipulator who masquerades the subtle misandry you deny you have as mere criticism. As soon as criticism comes to women, you try to all of a sudden bring up platitudes and throw everyone into it. In the thread on consent, you and Tam's arguments backfired completely and that's exactly what you both resorted to.

You simply rely on foolish men to come to your aide, and wouldn't stand knee high to an ant without them in any subject pertaining to feminist ideology. If anyone cries like a baby, it's the infantilized women such as yourself who were the ones to get loud with me and gather the attention of your cronies in the first place.

When did i ever lead you to believe that i cared what you think about me personally? You are who opened the door for me to correct you on why " i dont like you" when you stated it. Ive never asked for your opinion on me in any way.

ok doser

Then you are totally sensitive to not letting someone know their in sin, like a homosexual, because you dont want to be cause of them committing suicide, and would better let them believe their behavior is ok, even though their lifestyle is not only devestating for themselves but for others, right?

The lack of disapproval is why unrepentant sin runs rampant in society today.

Abuse is not what we are discussing.

we're discussing public shaming, which, afaik, occurs through digital media, facebook and twitter being the most obvious examples

and there's no apparent control of the abuse that inevitably occurs

if you were referring to some other form of public shaming, feel free to elucidate

Arthur Brain

Seriously, why don't you just copy 'n' paste this crap? You effectively post the same tedious, adolescent precocious "I hate women" yak droppings over and over anyway...

Get some help.