ECT Question for the Dispensationists

oatmeal

Has it been the purpose of the succeeding dispensation to make null and void the previous one, the one it succeeded?

CR,

I appreciate it that you did not include such phrases such as Mid Acts or whatever the usual labels are.

What does scripture teach?

What was God's plan?

There are truths that carry through all dispensations.

Ie, love and obey God. Although not explicitly stated regarding all seven dispensations, who is going to say that God would not expect that from Adam and Eve to the new heaven and earth?

DAN P

Has it been the purpose of the succeeding dispensation to make null and void the previous one, the one it succeeded?

Hi , and there may be many answers !

And to me there is ONLY ONE Dispensation , called HOUSE LAW or OIKONOMIA !

This Dispensation is called the MYSTERY , Eph 3:1-9 !!

This MYSTERY was hid in God , until revealed to Paul , Col 1:25-29 !

But I believe in what are called AGES .

Like the AGE where Angels were TESTED and Fell , before creation !

Like Eph 1:4 and 2 Tim 1:9 !

I believe that God stopped the PENTECOST and the following verse prove it , Acts 13:46 , Acts 18:6 and Acts 28:28 and Luke 13:6-9 and many other verses .

dan p

Last edited:

DAN P

Hi and the last Dispensation is called the " DISPENSATION of FULNESS of TIMES in Eph 1:10 , and it seems like more than a 1000 years from today or more !!

dan p

DAN P

Hi , and from Rom 11 we see that Israel was set aside and Israel will come back when the " FULNESS of the GENTILES be come IN ." Rom 11:25-26 shows 2 different periods !!

dan p

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Not the sole purpose, but certainly one of its byproducts.

Whether or not you agree dispensations exist, the very definition of the word requires that it supersedes what came before.

Ex: Your child is grounded from television. During the period of the grounding they become ill with a cold or flu, or something. So you give them a special dispensation for the few days of illness wherein you allow them to lay on the couch and watch TV.

In the theology of dispensationalism the dispensation never ends, until a new one comes along to replace it completely. It would be like your child never going back to being grounded.

However, in the dispensation of the grace of God the new dispensation was not for those who had joined the previous dispensation, as it was fairly new. And for a time both were functioning. And people could come from outside either and join either. Even those who were in the dispensation that had ended when the dispensation the 12 disciples were under had begun. Even though many of them ere unaware of the end when it happened, or even denied that it had happened, etc.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It looks like you're trying to systematize reality. Reality is that things change. God changed the rules. Any attempt to define what must and must not happen in a generalized process labelled a "dispensation" will always meet contradictions.

This is the failure of any attempt at systemization; it will never perfectly reflect reality.

Cross Reference

Not the sole purpose, but certainly one of its byproducts.

Whether or not you agree dispensations exist, the very definition of the word requires that it supersedes what came before.

Thas right.

Ex: Your child is grounded from television. During the period of the grounding they become ill with a cold or flu, or something. So you give them a special dispensation for the few days of illness wherein you allow them to lay on the couch and watch TV.

In the theology of dispensationalism the dispensation never ends, until a new one comes along to replace it completely. It would be like your child never going back to being grounded.

So where, do you suppose, is the deathline for the old one drawn upon the arrival of the new one?

However, in the dispensation of the grace of God the new dispensation was not for those who had joined the previous dispensation, as it was fairly new. And for a time both were functioning. And people could come from outside either and join either. Even those who were in the dispensation that had ended when the dispensation the 12 disciples were under had begun. Even though many of them ere unaware of the end when it happened, or even denied that it had happened, etc.

So, what I am reading from you is the Disciples, those who were with Jesus and Paul, who came later not knowing anything about dispensational changes in the government God, him being a graduate student in Hebrew history, et al, evidenced by their preaching only the prophecies and their personal knowledge of Jesus, you want presented as fact that which, at best is, speculation.

When did Paul use the word "dispensation" and in what context did he use it to explain himself? Can you take me there?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When did Paul use the word "dispensation" and in what context did he use to explain hmself? Can you take me there?

Your name is Cross Reference and you don't know how to look up a word in the Bible? :AMR:

Cross Reference

It looks like you're trying to systematize reality. Reality is that things change. God changed the rules. Any attempt to define what must and must not happen in a generalized process labelled a "dispensation" will always meet contradictions.

This is the failure of any attempt at systemization; it will never perfectly reflect reality.

When and where did God ever say/declare: I am God and I change my ways every so often and you, all mankind, for your salvation, need to pay attention"? Wanna guess?

Cross Reference

Nope. You've clearly got an agenda. You've completely ignored my response to OP.

In what way did I ignore it? My agenda is only to define the word dispensation and limit it to its definition __ plus nothing. I know it means a "despensing of time". In the Paul's understanding applied to himself, the dispensation he spoke of was of the time given him to do the tasks set before him. Now, what say you?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Thas right.

So where, do you suppose, is the deathline for the old one drawn upon the arrival of the new one?
It depends on the circumstances. Most of the time it is immediate. When God declares the new rules is when the new rules go into effect.

So, what I am reading from you is the Disciples, those who were with Jesus and Paul, who came later not knowing anything about dispensational changes in the government God, him being a graduate student in Hebrew history, et al, evidenced by their preaching only the prophecies and their personal knowledge of Jesus, you want presented as fact that which, at best is, speculation.
Was that intended to be English?

I'm not trying to be rude, but I honestly don't comprehend the grammatical structure of this paragraph.

When did Paul use the word "dispensation" and in what context did he use it to explain himself? Can you take me there?
Ephesians 1:10, 3:2 if you want specific verses. The context is in the surrounding verses. It is always in reference to the mystery.

Cross Reference

It was nicer to say you ignored it than saying you responded to it with nonsense.

How 'bout I said it was stupid prideful way for responding to what YOU considered "nonsense"?

It's a word referring to the rules in force in a particular time and place.

You are speaking commentary, i.e., someone else's opinion, forcing it to say what it doesn't. __ How's that?

Now, Speak to what Paul says about the "dispensation "of time" allotted him by the grace of God" that your crowd has built a doctrine around for untoward reasons?