Qwest Communications Customer Service Sucks

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, I will stand up and cheer when Qwest Communications finally goes out of business. They are one of the most dishonest companies on the planet.

Let me tell you my story....

First some history. I used to be a Qwest employee, well at the time it was called U S West Communications. I started in the mail room and worked my way up into management. I liked my job but had designs on being a graphic artist so I eventually quit to pursue other dreams. I remember when I was part of the Communication Workers Union, sometimes the management would tell us... "we need to be more efficient and have better customer service because it will not be long until the cable companies will be able to offer local phone service."

The union would respond and tell us that "management is just trying to scare you guys into taking less money at the next bargaining agreement."

:rotfl: Famous last words eh?

Even after I left the company I was a loyal customer. I even kept my slow Qwest DSL connection because I felt a degree of loyalty to my former employer.

People would ask.... "why don't you get cable internet? It's faster and cheaper?" I would respond... "well, I am happy with my service." But deep down inside I was feeling a bit bummed about my service.

Yet as time went by (dozens of years in fact) I became more and more frustrated with Qwest, mainly because their online billing was so difficult to use. Their bill processing lagged way behind what one would expect and a few years ago they actually shut off my service even though I had paid my bill!

Well..... this past spring it happened again. And it took a few days just to get it cleared up and I had to prove to Qwest that they had already processed my payment. The departments at Qwest do not communicate with each other very well.

I had had enough.

I called Comcast and switched EVERYTHING over to them. My home line, my fax line, my business line, my internet connection.... everything!

With Comcast I would be getting better phone service, faster internet, for half the price!!!

I called Qwest to verify that everything was shut off and that my bill was in all paid in full. Everything was in order. :jump:

Yet... as the summer moved along I started getting phone calls and letters from a collection agency (West Asset Management) regarding my Qwest account. "What is this?" I asked myself. Clearly it must just be a mistake.

The collection agency would call dozens of times a day and when I would answer the phone there would be nobody on the other end, just a robot telling me to hold. :turbo:

Sorry.... no way!

If you want to call and ask me something, then call and ask me something! Don't send a robot to do your dirty work.

The details get too confusing at this point (tons of different phone calls back and forth etc.) so let me try to summarize what happened.

Qwest told me the reason I was being billed was because my service was never actually shut-off. :doh: When I talked with "Charlie" at Qwest he assured me he would get everything straightened out and he affirmed that I had done everything correct. (this was on August 19th) Charlie even gave me a CONFIRMATION # and he told me a statement would be on it's way out to me to verify all of this.

As you might guess that statement never showed up.

Today, the collection agency started calling again. I assumed it must be a mistake and that they hadn't received notice from Qwest yet that my account was in good standing. Charlie told me that Qwest would handle ALL OF THIS.

So I called Qwest back and spoke with Qwest. Qwest now acted as if none of this had ever happened and that I actually DID owe them $242.00.

My brain began to swell. I could feel an aneurysm about to burst in the vessels of my gray matter. The lady on the phone (who's name I think was Diana) had no sympathy for me whatsoever. She did tell me that she could see Charlie's notes on my account but she said that Charlie must have been mistaken and he didn't handle this correctly on the 19th.

I asked to speak with a manager and Diana said...

"Why? So he can tell you you are wrong also?"

Can you believe this?

What a bunch of rip-off artists and jerks!

So what now... well I really don't know. Should I call the police? Should I just pay the $242 (which I cannot afford) to get them off my back? And if I do pay the $242 who's to say they aren't going to call in a week and ask for $242 more dollars???

Qwest Communications Customer Service Sucks. No wait...

Qwest Communications Sucks.

I recommend that if you have Qwest for phone service (or anything else) DUMP THEM AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

Call them every day for a week and verify that your service has been shut off and that you are no longer being billed. Write down every name of every Qwest representative that you speak with and take careful notes about what they tell you.

Why pay Qwest twice as much money for lesser features and service?

Then, when Qwest finally goes out of business (and they will) we can all stand up and cheer together and celebrate the free market working it's magic to improve the companies that wish to serve us.

Qwest, shame on you for stealing money from people and harassing them in this manner. You will reap what you sow.

Who's with me??

Aimiel

I wouldn't pay the bill. I had Cincinnati Bell pursue me for someone else's phone bill (who had stolen my SSN and opened a phone line in my name in another part of town) for $450 which was not my responsibility. They bothered me about it every chance they could, and eventually gave it to a collections agency. I called the CEO of the collections agency one day, and told him the situation, and he cleared it from my credit history, and I haven't gotten a call since. I'd suggest contacting the CEO of QWest and telling him your story. I've also gotten satisfaction on a $1,000 printer problem that HP customer service told me, "We will never fix your problem," by e-mailing the CEO of HP. I researched and found the collections company CEO's phone number on the internet, but I doubt you'd find the phone numbers listed for either QWest or HP CEO's.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't pay this, either. Sounds like a mistake on their end, not an attempt at a scam, but incompetance is no reason to give someone money.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Qwest has the capacity to look at the months in question and see that there is no activity whatsoever on the phone lines or elsewhere sice you switched. You should not pay this bill Knight. Exhaust every resource starting with a formal letter and resolution request. Forget about the local managers on the 1-800 end of it. Go to corporate. Good luck!

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Another tip: If you can, record your phone conversations with these reps. They record it too, but for their sakes not yours.

Do you really want Qwest to go out of business though? It's competition that's made Comcast to be better.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"Do you really want Qwest to go out of business though? It's competition that's made Comcast to be better."

The flood gates have opened. There is competition in the communications business everywhere you look. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a company that offers phone service these days.

Jukia

Find a local consumer lawyer. If there is actually no debt and you can document that via anything of substance this could be a slam dunk Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act violation. If the lawyer is good at this, it is a quick 500 or 1000 in your pocket. Perhaps even a class action.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knight said:
So what now... well I really don't know. ...Should I just pay the $242 (which I cannot afford) to get them off my back?

assuranceagent

Hey Knight -- I've actually had a similar problem with an electric company. Here's what I did to fix it:

Write a letter to Qwest explaining the situation (all the details you listed here - even what Diana said) and noting the confirmation numbers, names etc. Tell them professionally, but in no uncertain terms that you have no intention of paying the bill based on the fact that any mistake made was on their end. On the top of the letter, where the address is, CC to the Better Business Bureau and the Colorado Attorney General's consumer division. Suggest that someone in a position of authority contact you to work things out.

Actually send the CCs to the BBB and the AG. You'd be surprised how quickly Qwest's service improves. :thumb:

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
If it were me, I would fight it. Fight it from all angles presented so far. Contact a consumer lawyer and the better business bureau. Also make it public. I don't know about where you live (Denver area?), but one of the local news stations where I live has a consumer lawyer. A case like this on the local news would not look good for Qwest.

Something to think about, some years ago I was unjustly fired from a job for something I did not do. I filed a complaint with the BBB about that and about their questionable business practices. Shortly after I was getting calls from the FTC and the Florida Attorney General's office. About 2 months later that very business got a cease and desist order from the FTC. So what I'm saying here is complaining to the right people works.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Or have the I-Team investigate. Is Ward Lucas still on TV?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Assurance Agent is on target. :thumb: I'd probably begin the letter "As a former employee of Qwest, I was disheartened by the mishandling of the issue relating to my termination of service and the subsequent error on your part (apparently) to properly note that termination for your business records. Due to that error, I have been needlessly harrassed by a collection agency on your behalf.

On (date) I (set out how you contacted/terminated the account). Imagine my surprise when, (date of first collection contact and agency name) contacted me about an alleged overdue amount on a still existing account with your company. I spoke with (set out the conversation that confirmed your understanding along with the name of the employee handling it and his promise to have everyting taken care of). Unfortunately, ___ either did not do what, as your agent, he assured me would be done OR the error was repeated by someone else using an older record. In any event, this second failure on the part of a Qwest employee led to yet another round of calls from another (or the same) collection agency.

Then finnish with something like, "My good name and credit are important to me and any injury to them will be met with a counterclaim for the maximum recovery under controlling statutes. I would like to avoid that if possible, but I will not pay this or any amount and I am prepared to fight and raise counter suit if the matter is not resolved quickly. Also, I am considering contacting the BB and/or a local attorney relating to this ridiculous situation."

Any competent legal department should do a quick check of the facts and run from this post haste. :e4e: