Reading the bible

jman

I have a mystery for you. Why does Saul's death occur two different ways in the old testament? How do you find this out? Seek it's Author... (John 5:39)

Enjoy
So I looked up what you were talking about....John 5:39? No clue what you were getting at with that. The first story, well when Saul fell on his sword and everyone else died. God was the only witness so god might of wrote it down on his desk and then past it on to who ever wrote the verse and the second when the amalekite said he killed him? Well, personally I think that was a fabricated story. So long story short....2 accounts of the same story.

Sent from my SM-G935T using TOL mobile app

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
So I looked up what you were talking about....John 5:39? No clue what you were getting at with that. The first story, well when Saul fell on his sword and everyone else died. God was the only witness so god might of wrote it down on his desk and then past it on to who ever wrote the verse and the second when the amalekite said he killed him? Well, personally I think that was a fabricated story. So long story short....2 accounts of the same story.

You can read the bible all you want... but until you "understand" (John 5:39 and 40) it will never make sense. You are in a good place to seek out your questions... but you can only really "get" it if you have this... (1 John 2:27)

In other words... you have a sincere opportunity to ask the Author what He meant by understanding what Death, Burial and Resurrection means for your future.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a mystery for you. Why does Saul's death occur two different ways in the old testament? How do you find this out? Seek it's Author... (John 5:39)

Enjoy
My understanding is that King Saul was wounded so badly in battle that he was dying, and rather than give them the satisfaction of his death, he fell on his own sword and killed himself.

It's kinda equivalent to those at Masada during the Jewish-Roman war.
They committed suicide rather than surrender themselves to the enemy.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
My understanding is that King Saul was wounded so badly in battle that he was dying, and rather than give them the satisfaction of his death, he fell on his own sword and killed himself.

It's kinda equivalent to those at Masada during the Jewish-Roman war.
They committed suicide rather than surrender themselves to the enemy.

This is correct... both accounts tie him to exactly what he was. A typification of Satan. He was elected against the will of God, as God had made it clear that He alone was King of Israel.

In likeness... He fell on his own gallows, or hung himself in a tree... like Judas and Haman. The picture is of the one that (Takes their fate into their own hands)... Which of coarse is a very bad idea.

Why live in bondage and live "dead effort" that passes on as a vapor, when we can soar in the freedom of Christ and go on to eternity? Shoot! Even Beer tastes better with Jesus in my life. :D

Tnkrbl123!

I mean I guess I'm a wm, I don't think I have anything to offer Christ, but I don't think he really asks for much except the things that really be given only symbolically. And as far as gifts lasting forever? The only gift I can give that lasts forever is to myself, if that pleases Christ.....then I guess it's kinda a win/win. But....were you really asking me that question or are you messing with me? I guess I've been on TOL long enough to believe you were serious, buuut.....you never know.

You are right by saying that Jesus HImself does not need or want any gifts.... there is nothing that we have or ever will have that does not belong to Jesus in the first place, everything we have is a gift that came from Him. But when we give gifts to others we are giving them to Jesus in an indirect way (by this I don't mean like a present wrapped in paper with a bow kind of gift, but rather, I mean freewill giving and generosity to others).

This is an example of what it means to Jesus when we give the smallest of gfts to another who needs it...even a simple glass of water (which actually in the time that the Bible was writte a glass of water may have been a huge gift for someone who needed it)
“Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple—truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward.” - Matthew 10:40-42

Tnkrbl123!

I have a question about the bible that I think I'm in the right place for. Read it a couple times but, weeehh, it's a hard read! The question is: Does anyone know what happened to all those gifts Jesus was given by the wise men? I know he probably gave it to the poor or something like that, but does the bible actually say what happened to the gold, incense, and such?

That is an uncommon question have never heard asked before so it is interesting to think about.* But the Bible does not tell us what went on to become of the gifts given to Jesus.*

A little background and something to note that may help to answer your question is a more deep and profound way: (you may or may not know this but I will share in case somebody else does not know):*

The story and verses are taken from Matthew and most from Matthew 2:2-12

The "nativity scene" that is common to see around Christmas time,* is a very innacurate and misleading depiction of what happened and is not in line with what the scripture actually says.* Most people picture (I also imagined this for a long time until I actually read, examined the scripture and contemplated and studied this story) a newborn baby Jesus, on the night of His birth, laying in a manger stuffed with hay, surrounded by donkeys or camels, with Mary, Joseph and 3 wisemen surrounding Him.* But......

-The Bible does not say there were "3 wise men," in fact it does not give the number of magi at all.* There may have been less (although this is unlikely because these magi travelled in larger groups in antiquity) but it is commonly understood that there may have been more than 3.* We only picture there were 3 because 3 gifts were given.

-When the magi arrived it was not on the night of Jesus' birth.
*-the magi were from "the East" and most likey from Persia (modern day Iran) and that is about 800-900 miles away.* They were most likely aware f the prophesies about the Messiah/ King of the Jews from the prophesy in Daniel.* They got to Jerusalem and inquired about where to find the Messiah Jews and were directed to Bethlehem.
-"Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him" -Matthew 2:2

-Because modern day travel by train, plane or automobile did not exist, they had to walk/ride camel for 800-900 miles which was a long journey.* The Bible does not say how long the journey took but they definately did not arrive the night of Jesus' birth.* It was more likely that it took weeks, months or even a little over a year to arrive.
-We know that it could have been up to 2 years beause when Herod heard that these visitors arrived to find the "King of the Jews"* he ordered every male child under the age of TWO YEARS to be killed.*
-Matthew 2:16 " - "When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi."

-Also we know that the magi had not arrived to find the child in a manger, but rather they visited Him in a house.
-Matthew 2:11 "And going into the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh."

And this all happened according to what the prophets foretold long before so that when it happened all of God's children would know that Jesus was the Messiah!

So theres the background and some details about the story of the wisemen bringing Jesus gifts.... now back to the main question about what happened to the gifts that the magi gave to Jesus...Gold, frankinsense and myrrh

Tnkrbl123!

I have a question about the bible that I think I'm in the right place for. Read it a couple times but, weeehh, it's a hard read! The question is: Does anyone know what happened to all those gifts Jesus was given by the wise men? I know he probably gave it to the poor or something like that, but does the bible actually say what happened to the gold, incense, and such?

This is a continuation of my answer to your question...

In one of your posts in this thread you alluded to the gifts having more symbolic value than anything else and I will agree.* We do not know what happened to the gifts that were given to Jesus by the magi because the Bible does nt elaborate on that.* But I thnk that is because is what became of the gifts is not what is important but rather, what is important in this story is that the gifts were given and that they were gold, frankinsence and myrrh.* Many biblical scholars see these gifts as being a foreshadowing of the important events that were to come in Jesus' life and a symbol that points to prophesy of old being revealed.

God was a ery precious comodity in that time, even moreso than it is now.* in Exodus, gold was used to overlay the Ark of the Covenant and has been used throughout the Old Testament as a symbol of Divinity.* This gift was given because Jesus is God incarnate - God in flesh.

Frankincense is a kind of white resin/gum obtained from the bark of a tree.* It is extremely fragrant when it is burned and was used in worship (hense incense in its name ) and burned to be an offering to God.* This is a symbol of what must hapen to Jesus.* He will be the perfect, holy, sinless offering to God.

Myrrh is a spice that was often used in the embalming process.* SOme have interpreted it as a symbol of bitterness and suffering because it was sometimes mixed with wine into a bitter drik similar to the one that ws given to Jesus on the cross.* But a more agreed upon symbol was that it is used in enbalming and was fortelling the death and burial of Christ Jesus after his afflictin and sacrifice on the cross.

all in all, it is not so important what happened to the gifts that the magi gave to the infant Jesus, because the Bible does not tell us.* But they were given as gifts to the King Jesus, God incarnate as symbols to confirm that this is the Messiah, the Savior, and that this is the Messiah that the Jews (also the Gentiles-the Nations, and the entire creation) have been waiting for.* These gifts show that the prophesy of God's plan to reconcile HIs creation to HImself is being fulfilled in this child, concieved by a virgin, through the Holy Spirit of God.*

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

They were gifts, so obviously they were used by Jesus' family.

jman

You are wrong. He wants to spend eternity with you and He wants you to accept His Love. 2 points here. 1) Eternity will be quite a blow out... He turns water to wine... after all. 2) You will never be able to out Love Him if you start a relationship with Him.

I bet my life on it.

[emoji23] [emoji23] blow out...water to wine. Good stuff. Also, I thought I covered symbolic gifts in my post, for those wouldn't really be gifts except symbolically. And out loving someone? Love is infinite so really not measurable I would think.

jman

You can read the bible all you want... but until you "understand" (John 5:39 and 40) it will never make sense. You are in a good place to seek out your questions... but you can only really "get" it if you have this... (1 John 2:27)

In other words... you have a sincere opportunity to ask the Author what He meant by understanding what Death, Burial and Resurrection means for your future.
There's just one more thing is like to say, you are on the right path saying to THINK about what the bible actually has to say. But as some of our friends have pointed out, if you think too much, there's a chance you might loose it. For my friend, the bible IS the word of God, but then again, not ALL of it is symbolism. Some are simply stories, they do have a purpose , but still just a story, not to be dwelled on.

jman

This is a continuation of my answer to your question...

In one of your posts in this thread you alluded to the gifts having more symbolic value than anything else and I will agree.* We do not know what happened to the gifts that were given to Jesus by the magi because the Bible does nt elaborate on that.* But I thnk that is because is what became of the gifts is not what is important but rather, what is important in this story is that the gifts were given and that they were gold, frankinsence and myrrh.* Many biblical scholars see these gifts as being a foreshadowing of the important events that were to come in Jesus' life and a symbol that points to prophesy of old being revealed.

God was a ery precious comodity in that time, even moreso than it is now.* in Exodus, gold was used to overlay the Ark of the Covenant and has been used throughout the Old Testament as a symbol of Divinity.* This gift was given because Jesus is God incarnate - God in flesh.

Frankincense is a kind of white resin/gum obtained from the bark of a tree.* It is extremely fragrant when it is burned and was used in worship (hense incense in its name ) and burned to be an offering to God.* This is a symbol of what must hapen to Jesus.* He will be the perfect, holy, sinless offering to God.

Myrrh is a spice that was often used in the embalming process.* SOme have interpreted it as a symbol of bitterness and suffering because it was sometimes mixed with wine into a bitter drik similar to the one that ws given to Jesus on the cross.* But a more agreed upon symbol was that it is used in enbalming and was fortelling the death and burial of Christ Jesus after his afflictin and sacrifice on the cross.

all in all, it is not so important what happened to the gifts that the magi gave to the infant Jesus, because the Bible does not tell us.* But they were given as gifts to the King Jesus, God incarnate as symbols to confirm that this is the Messiah, the Savior, and that this is the Messiah that the Jews (also the Gentiles-the Nations, and the entire creation) have been waiting for.* These gifts show that the prophesy of God's plan to reconcile HIs creation to HImself is being fulfilled in this child, concieved by a virgin, through the Holy Spirit of God.*
Thank you so much for that in site. I haven't memorized the bible (& what I did read, well let's just say you REALLY have to read it) so I never thot it might be symbolism. But next time I pick it up ill keep that in mind bout the gifts. & I've actually heard that bout how many wise men, when I was a kid.
That is an uncommon question have never heard asked before so it is interesting to think about.* But the Bible does not tell us what went on to become of the gifts given to Jesus.*

A little background and something to note that may help to answer your question is a more deep and profound way: (you may or may not know this but I will share in case somebody else does not know):*

The story and verses are taken from Matthew and most from Matthew 2:2-12

The "nativity scene" that is common to see around Christmas time,* is a very innacurate and misleading depiction of what happened and is not in line with what the scripture actually says.* Most people picture (I also imagined this for a long time until I actually read, examined the scripture and contemplated and studied this story) a newborn baby Jesus, on the night of His birth, laying in a manger stuffed with hay, surrounded by donkeys or camels, with Mary, Joseph and 3 wisemen surrounding Him.* But......

-The Bible does not say there were "3 wise men," in fact it does not give the number of magi at all.* There may have been less (although this is unlikely because these magi travelled in larger groups in antiquity) but it is commonly understood that there may have been more than 3.* We only picture there were 3 because 3 gifts were given.

-When the magi arrived it was not on the night of Jesus' birth.
*-the magi were from "the East" and most likey from Persia (modern day Iran) and that is about 800-900 miles away.* They were most likely aware f the prophesies about the Messiah/ King of the Jews from the prophesy in Daniel.* They got to Jerusalem and inquired about where to find the Messiah Jews and were directed to Bethlehem.
-"Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him" -Matthew 2:2

-Because modern day travel by train, plane or automobile did not exist, they had to walk/ride camel for 800-900 miles which was a long journey.* The Bible does not say how long the journey took but they definately did not arrive the night of Jesus' birth.* It was more likely that it took weeks, months or even a little over a year to arrive.
-We know that it could have been up to 2 years beause when Herod heard that these visitors arrived to find the "King of the Jews"* he ordered every male child under the age of TWO YEARS to be killed.*
-Matthew 2:16 " - "When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi."

-Also we know that the magi had not arrived to find the child in a manger, but rather they visited Him in a house.
-Matthew 2:11 "And going into the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh."

And this all happened according to what the prophets foretold long before so that when it happened all of God's children would know that Jesus was the Messiah!

So theres the background and some details about the story of the wisemen bringing Jesus gifts.... now back to the main question about what happened to the gifts that the magi gave to Jesus...Gold, frankinsense and myrrh

Tnkrbl123!

There's just one more thing is like to say, you are on the right path saying to THINK about what the bible actually has to say. But as some of our friends have pointed out, if you think too much, there's a chance you might loose it. For my friend, the bible IS the word of God, but then again, not ALL of it is symbolism. Some are simply stories, they do have a purpose , but still just a story, not to be dwelled on.

This is very true, not everything is symbolic and many of them are just stories. But the Bible is the truth and the stories, specially the New Testament, are actual historical events. There are some stories in the Old Testament that are Jewish poetic narrative and may not have happened exactly the way we read them but they are still written to express God's Truth. But most of the events recorded in the Bible are both actual historical events that have been document by Christians, Jews and also non-Christians as well. But God has a way of directing certain events to unfold in people's lives that happen in a way that is also symbolic and can be understood on a deeper level when we look back on the past. :)

Tnkrbl123!

Thank you so much for that in site. I haven't memorized the bible (& what I did read, well let's just say you REALLY have to read it) so I never thot it might be symbolism. But next time I pick it up ill keep that in mind bout the gifts. & I've actually heard that bout how many wise men, when I was a kid. [/URL]

One of the wonderful things about reading the Bible is that God will not overwhelm you with His revelation all at once. When you begin to read the Bible the Holy Spirit will reveal understanding of His Word in small portions that you will be able to digest at the time and place you are at in your spiritual life. If you pray before you read the Bible and tell God that you genuinely want to understand the significance of His Word and how it can change your life, God will answer that prayer. Just ask God to reveal His true self to you as you read and you will be blessed with the answer to your prayer if you pray with a genuine heart :)

I love the Word of God so much that I studied it in university and now have a degree in Christian Theology (not much use for popular well-paying careers but it is perfect for the work I want to do in the world). I did that because I love my God and His Word so much that I wanted to devote my time to learn from Biblical scholars and spirit led professors to discover as much as I can about it. And after 4 years of university I have only scratched the surface of understanding. It is a life long journey to discover the word of God but if you are genuinely seeking God and to learn about Him with a genuine heart you will find Him!

*"Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord," - Jeremiah 13:12-14

*"From there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find him if you search after him with all your heart and soul. In your distress, when all these things have happened to you in time to come, you will return to the Lord your God and heed him. Because the Lord your God is a merciful God, he will neither abandon you nor destroy you; he will not forget the covenant with your ancestors that he swore to them." Deuteronomy 4:29-31

*"The Lord looks down from heaven on humankind to see if there are any who are wise, who seek after God." Psalm 14:2

*"And without faith it is impossible to please God, for whoever would approach him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." Hebrews 11:6

*"I love those who love me; And those who diligently seek me will find me." Proverbs 8:17

*"From one ancestor He made all nations to inhabit the whole earth, and he allotted the times of their existence and the boundaries of the places where they would live, so that they would search for God and perhaps grope for him and find him—though indeed he is not far from each one of us." Acts 17:26-27

*" Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8 (this is repeated in Luke 11:9-10)

And if you have any other questions, even if you think they are silly but you are looking for an answer to, don't hesitate to ask me and I will definately try to help you answer them. I said before there is so much I don't know but if I can help you find any answers I will!

jman

One of the wonderful things about reading the Bible is that God will not overwhelm you with His revelation all at once. When you begin to read the Bible the Holy Spirit will reveal understanding of His Word in small portions that you will be able to digest at the time and place you are at in your spiritual life. If you pray before you read the Bible and tell God that you genuinely want to understand the significance of His Word and how it can change your life, God will answer that prayer. Just ask God to reveal His true self to you as you read and you will be blessed with the answer to your prayer if you pray with a genuine heart :)

I love the Word of God so much that I studied it in university and now have a degree in Christian Theology (not much use for popular well-paying careers but it is perfect for the work I want to do in the world). I did that because I love my God and His Word so much that I wanted to devote my time to learn from Biblical scholars and spirit led professors to discover as much as I can about it. And after 4 years of university I have only scratched the surface of understanding. It is a life long journey to discover the word of God but if you are genuinely seeking God and to learn about Him with a genuine heart you will find Him!

*"Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord," - Jeremiah 13:12-14

*"From there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find him if you search after him with all your heart and soul. In your distress, when all these things have happened to you in time to come, you will return to the Lord your God and heed him. Because the Lord your God is a merciful God, he will neither abandon you nor destroy you; he will not forget the covenant with your ancestors that he swore to them." Deuteronomy 4:29-31

*"The Lord looks down from heaven on humankind to see if there are any who are wise, who seek after God." Psalm 14:2

*"And without faith it is impossible to please God, for whoever would approach him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." Hebrews 11:6

*"I love those who love me; And those who diligently seek me will find me." Proverbs 8:17

*"From one ancestor He made all nations to inhabit the whole earth, and he allotted the times of their existence and the boundaries of the places where they would live, so that they would search for God and perhaps grope for him and find him—though indeed he is not far from each one of us." Acts 17:26-27

*" Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8 (this is repeated in Luke 11:9-10)

And if you have any other questions, even if you think they are silly but you are looking for an answer to, don't hesitate to ask me and I will definately try to help you answer them. I said before there is so much I don't know but if I can help you find any answers I will!
I actually did plan on picking up the bible again soon, I spose I could ask god for assistance but I think he already answered, thank you, good to know I have a guide like you.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Dwell on the Lord's parables/tropes. They reveal/unmask heaven.

jsanford108

Since this is a thread loosely bearing the topic of reading the Bible, I would like to bring up a small discussion. What Bible translation is best?

I have four translations. The Douay-Rheims, KJV, HCSB, and NAB. When asked on what to read, I recommend the RSV. The DRV and KJV are the most archaic (English versions) and scholastic. The HCSB is a scholastic work. The NAB just shows the results of revisionism in translations.

For easy reading, while gaining deep knowledge, the RSV is my recommendation, as stated before. For truly academic and scholastic depth, I suggest the Douay-Rheims. KJV is good overall, but keep in mind, it was for the sole purpose of providing a translation for the Church of England, accessible to the educated (which, weren't all print versions in pre-industrial Europe).

As I always state, time and again, read the Scriptures free of doctrinal bias. That is how one truly grows in the knowledge of God and Christ.

Until next time.

Tnkrbl123!

Since this is a thread loosely bearing the topic of reading the Bible, I would like to bring up a small discussion. What Bible translation is best?

I have four translations. The Douay-Rheims, KJV, HCSB, and NAB. When asked on what to read, I recommend the RSV. The DRV and KJV are the most archaic (English versions) and scholastic. The HCSB is a scholastic work. The NAB just shows the results of revisionism in translations.

For easy reading, while gaining deep knowledge, the RSV is my recommendation, as stated before. For truly academic and scholastic depth, I suggest the Douay-Rheims. KJV is good overall, but keep in mind, it was for the sole purpose of providing a translation for the Church of England, accessible to the educated (which, weren't all print versions in pre-industrial Europe).

As I always state, time and again, read the Scriptures free of doctrinal bias. That is how one truly grows in the knowledge of God and Christ.

Until next time.

When I was taking my Bachelor of Christian Theology degree we used the NRSV as a great scholarly translation and it is my preferred translation. NIV is good, it has a couple places where I think the translation could be a bit better/different but overall it quite accetable for Biblical study while being quite accessible