Reading the bible

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
I mean I guess I'm a wm, I don't think I have anything to offer Christ, but I don't think he really asks for much except the things that really be given only symbolically. And as far as gifts lasting forever? The only gift I can give that lasts forever is to myself, if that pleases Christ.....then I guess it's kinda a win/win. But....were you really asking me that question or are you messing with me? I guess I've been on TOL long enough to believe you were serious, buuut.....you never know.

Sent from my SM-G935T using TOL mobile app

I am not messing with you. (I confess I do that sometimes with insincere people) I am convinced that the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh were actually, physically and historically presented to the infant Jesus as recorded. But, seeing as it is recorded and preserved for us, what are we to learn?

I disagree that you have nothing to offer Christ. What you mean, perhaps, is that you realize that there is nothing that you could give that would increase His value. But does this mean that you have nothing that He would want? Isn't that kind of like a child reasoning that his mother would not want to receive a piece of paper with the words "I love you Mommy" written on it?

As far as being able to give gifts to the Lord, there are many examples. One is in one of His parables.

"For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

Other examples are thanksgiving, praise and prayer.

I would like to ask you:
Would you be able, in good conscience, tomorrow, or next week, or even perhaps today, to thank Jesus for dying on the cross for you personally? For standing in your place and receiving the full force of God's wrath against sin for you? For becoming your sacrifice so that you do not have to attempt to appease God for your sin yourself? For rising from the dead after three days and conquering death as His promise to you that you have eternal life?

Or are you already in the habit of thanking Him? Just curious.

oatmeal

I have a question about the bible that I think I'm in the right place for. Read it a couple times but, weeehh, it's a hard read! The question is: Does anyone know what happened to all those gifts Jesus was given by the wise men? I know he probably gave it to the poor or something like that, but does the bible actually say what happened to the gold, incense, and such?

Sent from my SM-G935T using TOL mobile app

Joseph and Mary, being godly, responsible, believing and disciplined parents stewarded those resources as any good stewards would. That seems reasonable to expect. But as for specifics, scripture does not say. Jesus Christ spoke of stewards in parables. Joseph was steward of Potiphar's wealth, in prison he was steward under the prison keeper and eventually became steward, second in command under Pharaoh. I Corinthians 4:1 tells of that we are stewards of the mysteries (divine secrets) of God, Moreover it is required in stewards that a man be found faithful.

Is there evidence that Joseph and Mary conducted themselves faithfully in raising up God's and Mary's son?

Did Jesus learn about faithfulness from his step father and his mother?