Redskins

bybee

That you don't realize what's wrong with your attitude is kind of the whole point behind this kerfuffle.

Not my problem.

And, to an extent, why are the hurt feelings of others my problem?
I detest intentional racial slurs, or deliberate pejorative comments about someone's appearance.
What is tiresome is the unending parade of hurty feelings over trivia.
I used to sing in a choir. We were not allowed to wear perfume, deodorant or aftershave because it might bother some twit with nothing better to do.
We are hemmed in at every turn by trivial pursuits.
Or so it seems to me.

john w

Hall of Fame
This is "disparaging to Native Southerners"-rename them D__ Yankees!!!!:

New_York_Yankees.jpg

And this is "disparaging to Native Cardinals"-rename them!!!!:

StLouisCardinals.jpg

Fools....evey last one of them.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The United States Patent & Trademark office cancelled the Washington Redskins trademark registration today. It ruled that the NFL team's name is "disparaging to Native Americans."

Thoughts, opinions?
I'm not certain it will withstand appeal, as a legal point. Else, I'd have changed it to the Washington Lobbyists long ago. No other group in the history of this nation has been as feared or powerful.

Redskins? I've never associated it with a negative, but I understand that for more than a few Native Americans it's an ongoing insult. Time to put away that childish thing.

GuySmiley

If American Indians are actually offended by it, then change the name.

If its just a small group of American Indians that don't really represent the majority feeling, keep the name.

I've seen stories claiming both sides.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'm not certain it will withstand appeal, as a legal point. Else, I'd have changed it to the Washington Lobbyists long ago. No other group in the history of this nation has been as feared or powerful.

Redskins? I've never associated it with a negative, but I understand that for more than a few Native Americans it's an ongoing insult. Time to put away that childish thing.

Pretty much. It's got a rotten history from the looks of it and it's just not a good or particularly healthy symbol anymore.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
The United States Patent & Trademark office cancelled the Washington Redskins trademark registration today. It ruled that the NFL team's name is "disparaging to Native Americans."

Thoughts, opinions?

they should rename it "the alocholics" and leave the logo just as it is

rexlunae

Damian

Thoughts, opinions?

It is. They should change the name of the football team to the "Generals" and the name of the basketball team to the "Sentinels." Those are names that are representative not only of D.C. but also of their respective sport.

drbrumley

From an article by Tom DiLorenzo

Then there’s the frowning declaration of disapproval that King Obama made over the fact that the Washington Redskins are known as the Redskins. Redskins owner Dan Snynder heroically gave the king a big middle finger (figuratively speaking), causing USA Today and other Official Pronouncers of Acceptable Opinion to throw a hysterical fit. Mr. Snyder may eventually back down, but I hope not. But if he does, here’s my recommendation for a new name for the team that I think will completely satisfy the cultural Marxists: How about the Washington Gaylesianhispanicblacktransvestites? That covers at least some of the Official Mascot Groups of the cultural Marxists.

UPDATE: Emailers have suggested “DC Honky Scalpers” and “Washington Drones” instead of “Redskins.” The latter suggestion came with a recommendation to put a tiny drone icon on the helmets. The former correctly pointed out that “Washington” must also go since it is the name of a famous White Male Oppressor, the ultimate evil in the world of the politically correct. Along those lines, I would also suggest changing the name to , perhaps, the Anacostia Gaylesbianhispanicblacktransvestites.

:rotfl:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I love it when the redskins beat the cowboys
and
our country will truly lose
if
we lose that name