Report: Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

kiwimacahau

The problem is not with the President making a shortlist, the problem is with his choices.

He thinks he is a gay Muslim son of a foreigner who has managed to fool the US into voting him in as a heterosexual Christian American President.

President Obama is not 1: Gay; 2: a foreigner; 3:A Muslim.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
flags are being flown at half staff to honor scalia

I noticed that earlier today going down the road.

It seems a bit over the top, but not really bad. I just prefer it be reserved for tragedies- a long lived judge dying naturally is not a tragedy.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
There wasn't an autopsy because there is no question of the circumstances of his death … except in the minds of people who have no idea what actually happened.

And they don't matter to the people who actually do know what happened.
It was Scalia's family who asked that no autopsy be performed!

Do our conservative conspiracy "friends" now suspect Scalia's family or his liberal friend, the 83 year old Justice Ruth Ginsberg?

The Supreme Court, with a majority of Republican appointed justices including Scalia, not only failed to repeal Roe v Wade but passed 2 landmark decisions in support of the President - Obamacare and same-sex marriage.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
These extremists are not the party's base. They never were. But the republican party cannot win elections through its base, alone. There simply aren't enough people willing to vote for a party that only serves the wealthy. So the religious extremists have become the party's go-to 'swing voters'. They use them to fill in the gap between their base voters and the votes they need to win elections. And it's worked for them in the past. Unfortunately, these extremists are nuts. They are so extreme that they make the party look like lunatics to moderates, and now days even to their own base. Yet the republican party has become "addicted" to using these extremists to win elections, and so they just can't seem to stop pandering to them. And the result is a party that looks to most of America like incompetent obstructionists who's electoral candidates all appear to have just fallen out of a clown car.

The republican party needs to jettison these extremists, and do it soon. But they believe they still need these extremist 'swing voters' to win elections. So they're trapped by their own deceits. And as a result they just keep getting more absurd, and more extreme.

At the rate they're currently proceeding, I expect they are not only going to continue losing the presidential elections, but they're going to lose their majorities in the house and senate, too. Because the American people are getting sick and tired of the insane partisan nonsense.
They are NOT the core republican voters. They are an extremist 'swing' voting block that the republican party generated, by deceit, to win elections. They were just marginalized fringe extremists until Carl Rove "discovered" them and used them to get "W" elected. (Well, not elected, really, but close enough to steal an election.)

How are you defining the 'base' of a party?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
This is interesting:

An Unsolicited Recommendation

Fast-forward to 2009, when President Obama was faced with a vacancy on the Supreme Court just a few months into his term following the retirement of Justice David Souter. At the annual White House Correspondents Association dinner, Scalia was seated alongside David Axelrod, one of the president’s closest advisers. In a piece published on CNN.com on Sunday, Axelrod wrote that Scalia took the opportunity to weigh in on the appointment. “I have no illusions that your man will nominate someone who shares my orientation,” the justice told him. “But I hope he sends us someone smart.”

After Axelrod says he replied with a rather bland formality, Scalia pressed on.

“Let me put a finer point on it,” the justice said, in a lower, purposeful tone of voice, his eyes fixed on mine. “I hope he sends us Elena Kagan.”

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
This is SOP for TOL. Anyone who is considered even slightly opposed to every position of the TOL base might as well be the Antichrist.

in another thread
this jefferson basically calls scalia a baby killer
what kind of thinking is that?

PureX

How are you defining the 'base' of a party?
The base of the republican party has always been conservatives. Conservatives are by definition people who seek to 'conserve' the status quo. They are people who don't like change, and don't want it. Mostly because they are also the people in society who are benefitting most from the 'way things are now'. That it, the very wealthy, the wealthy, and the well off upper middle classes. also some working class folks who have good benefits and job security, and who are particularly given to obedience to authority.

These are not the people we are currently discussing as the republican "base": radical religious conservatives that want America to become some fantasy version of "bibleland", and political extremists fueled by racist, religious, and sexual bigotry, fear-mongering and a general anger that they are no longer the white male power class that they once were. These people aren't even conservatives, though they seem to have cooped the label. They are radicals, and extremists. They are a lunatic fringe that the republican party has been pandering to, to gain their votes because the party can't win elections, otherwise. Their real base is just not strong enough on it's own because of the massive and growing income disparity in this country. But this deal they made with the 'devil' is coming back to bite them in the rear end, because the extremists are now all 'fired up' and taking over their party, and they are chasing the real republican base away.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
in another thread
this jefferson basically calls scalia a baby killer
what kind of thinking is that?
Conservatives tend to be a mean spirited bunch - not just with liberals but with each other.

It never fails to amaze me how the front-running Republican candidates all claim to be good Christians, and then proceed to attack each other in a very unChristian way.

Running for president certainly doesn't bring out the best in people!

kmoney

Hall of Fame
This is interesting:

An Unsolicited Recommendation

Fast-forward to 2009, when President Obama was faced with a vacancy on the Supreme Court just a few months into his term following the retirement of Justice David Souter. At the annual White House Correspondents Association dinner, Scalia was seated alongside David Axelrod, one of the president’s closest advisers. In a piece published on CNN.com on Sunday, Axelrod wrote that Scalia took the opportunity to weigh in on the appointment. “I have no illusions that your man will nominate someone who shares my orientation,” the justice told him. “But I hope he sends us someone smart.”

After Axelrod says he replied with a rather bland formality, Scalia pressed on.

“Let me put a finer point on it,” the justice said, in a lower, purposeful tone of voice, his eyes fixed on mine. “I hope he sends us Elena Kagan.”

yes. :think:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The base of the republican party has always been conservatives. Conservatives are by definition people who seek to 'conserve' the status quo. They are people who don't like change, and don't want it. Mostly because they are also the people in society who are benefitting most from the 'way things are now'. That it, the very wealthy, the wealthy, and the well off upper middle classes. also some working class folks who have good benefits and job security, and who are particularly given to obedience to authority.

These are not the people we are currently discussing as the republican "base": radical religious conservatives that want America to become some fantasy version of "bibleland", and political extremists fueled by racist, religious, and sexual bigotry, fear-mongering and a general anger that they are no longer the white male power class that they once were. These people aren't even conservatives, though they seem to have cooped the label. They are radicals, and extremists. They are a lunatic fringe that the republican party has been pandering to, to gain their votes because the party can't win elections, otherwise. Their real base is just not strong enough on it's own because of the massive and growing income disparity in this country. But this deal they made with the 'devil' is coming back to bite them in the rear end, because the extremists are now all 'fired up' and taking over their party, and they are chasing the real republican base away.

But how have you come to the conclusion that their base has always been conservatives? What is your criteria for determining the base of a party?

I ask because you seem to think that the base is made up of fiscal conservatives and they are only catering to religious fanatics to get votes. But I think some religious element is part of the base. The idea of the 'religious right' isn't new. I do agree that certain elements are getting more radical and outspoken and some in the party are trying to harness it, but I don't think it's a complete departure from what their base normally would be.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
the base of the republican party at its birth was abolitionist, hardly a conservative position back in the day

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
RIP. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends and colleagues.

Yes I had the same thought. Such a shocking death and wonder what it will mean for upcoming cases.

it means they'll be at risk for tying until president trump appoints his replacement! :banana: