Should California be divided into three seporate states?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm leaning more toward consolidation of the states we have. :plain: I think that at minimum we have at least 5 states too many. Possibly as many as 10. I mean, just look at New England, won't you? Which, as it turns out, is the area's new tourism slogan.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Per capita distributions aren't always an accurate measure of real impact. States with low populations can be said to have more congressional representation "per capita" than higher populated states. Particularly as per the Senate.

Not quite sure if states and counties are comparable. Can you explain?

One of the major complaints espoused by proponents of the measure is the imbalance of political representation in both statewide and national arenas.

That's just the way it works, though. Is it an imbalance if the majority votes for their representation? Genuinely curious, not trying to be contrary. :)

drbrumley

CalExit
By Brion McClanahan
July 27, 2017

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has given the green light for CalExit proponents to begin collecting signatures for a California secession ballot initiative in the 2018 general election.

This is good news. California is the logical place to begin having a conversation about secession, and every red state American should be actively supporting the proposal.

As California goes, so goes Oregon and Washington, and in the not so distant future perhaps Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. Maybe Hawaii might finally get the chance to regain its independence.

One can dream.

Every American gets it on a personal level, so why can’t it be expanded on a larger scale?

The answer is that Americans have been taught that secession is illegal and the “Civil War” solved the issue. Even the CalExit folks believe that it would require a constitutional amendment to secede.

Tell that to the founding generation, Ellsworth and King among them, who thought secession was not only moral but entirely legal and possible. Just read the Declaration of Independence.

Some suggest this would weaken security or destroy the American financial sector and ruin the economy.

News flash, the American economy is already in the tank. Federal bankruptcy is not too far in the distant future.

Foxfire

CalExit
By Brion McClanahan
July 27, 2017

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has given the green light for CalExit proponents to begin collecting signatures for a California secession ballot initiative in the 2018 general election.

This is good news. California is the logical place to begin having a conversation about secession, and every red state American should be actively supporting the proposal.

As California goes, so goes Oregon and Washington, and in the not so distant future perhaps Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. Maybe Hawaii might finally get the chance to regain its independence.

One can dream.

Every American gets it on a personal level, so why can’t it be expanded on a larger scale?

The answer is that Americans have been taught that secession is illegal and the “Civil War” solved the issue. Even the CalExit folks believe that it would require a constitutional amendment to secede.

Tell that to the founding generation, Ellsworth and King among them, who thought secession was not only moral but entirely legal and possible. Just read the Declaration of Independence.

Some suggest this would weaken security or destroy the American financial sector and ruin the economy.

News flash, the American economy is already in the tank. Federal bankruptcy is not too far in the distant future.

Actually, in this case, it's not the same thing as secession at all. There have been at least three states whose origin was founded in "re-partitioning" an existing state following constitutional protocols as per Article IV, Section 3 clause 1 of the U.S. Constitution.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I tend to vote purple meaning I frequently vote for a third party candidate who has more reasonable and workable policies.

I understand your point but I don't know how you're getting there. Voting third party should be another color entirely. If you were a moderate who voted the candidate rather than the party but stuck to the two main parties, I could see you as a purple individual. :)

But you said we need "more purple states," so if you're voting third party how do you get a state to purple? A more even distribution of red and blue votes makes for a more purple county or state.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I understand your point but I don't know how you're getting there. Voting third party should be another color entirely. If you were a moderate who voted the candidate rather than the party but stuck to the two main parties, I could see you as a purple individual. :)

But you said we need "more purple states," so if you're voting third party how do you get a state to purple? A more even distribution of red and blue votes makes for a more purple county or state.

Red and Blue have come to represent the extreme conservative and liberal policies. Third party candidates frequently incorporate less extreme conservative and liberal policies into their platforms making them purple in my mind. My comment was meant to imply the need for more moderate candidates. There is a green party but i don't support them overly much.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
A division into three separate states would create four additional U.S. Senate seats.

The geographical area that is presently California would then be represented by a total of 6 U.S. Senators instead of two.
Plus four more electoral votes. I say :down:

Foxfire

What's your vote? Yes or no?

I'm leaning slightly in favor although I doubt that anything will come of it, other than lip service from . It's not the first time this sort of thing has come up in Cali and I'm sure it's not the last.

Luckily for you, I'm limited to an opinion and not a vote. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.