Should It Be Lawful For Minors To Be Married With Parental Consent?

Arthur Brain

As aCW is squirming around the question on his own thread and coming up with ever more elaborate and goofball ways to deflect away from it I thought I'd branch it out here. This isn't just about Phil Robertson's notorious comments about getting girls at 15/16 before they pick pockets at 20 apparently but that's the kind of mindset that has its voice here disturbingly. Time and again it's said or implied on here that the societal acceptance of homosexuality will open the floodgates to paedophilia and yet there's some here who seem to have no problem with children being married as long as the parents condone such an arrangement.

Thoughts?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No ... mid teens is WAY too young for these kids to marry. The only reason an older person would wish to marry them is because they see them as a child-bride/groom to be brought up and trained as they see fit.

Arthur Brain

No ... mid teens is WAY too young for these kids to marry. The only reason an older person would wish to marry them is because they see them as a child-bride/groom to be brought up and trained as they see fit.

That sure ties in with Robertson's "reasoning" as regards girls/women aka 'gold diggers' at 20? Yet at 15 they'll do your bidding?

Why would a parent even consider such a 'marriage' if they loved their child?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That sure ties in with Robertson's "reasoning" as regards girls/women aka 'gold diggers' at 20? Yet at 15 they'll do your bidding?

At 15, they are too young to stand up for themselves and hold their own against an adult. The only reason someone in their twenties would get involved with someone in their lower to mid teens is to take advantage of them physically and emotionally.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

I think under the right circumstances it would be ok with parental consent. Marriages made in heaven

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think under the right circumstances it would be ok with parental consent. Marriages made in heaven

I disagree. The only reason an older person would seek out a teen is to satisfy their own ego and take advantage of their vulnerabilities.

Arthur Brain

At 15, they are too young to stand up for themselves and hold their own against an adult. The only reason someone in their twenties would get involved with someone in their lower to mid teens is to take advantage of them physically and emotionally.

What about if both were 15?

The main point of this thread is to show how unhinged and dangerous it could be if marriage could be determined for minors to adults but just to get the above out of the way...

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
After puberty, the only thing stopping a person from adulthood is, well, you.

They had no problem with it before you, so what's the real problem? Because it isn't their age :rolleyes:

Lon

...yet there's some here who seem to have no problem with children being married as long as the parents condone such an arrangement.

Thoughts?
First, I think it is Christianity that had pushed for 18 being a minimum. Second, I think it socially best to wait until school is over and I'm not sure a child is ready for marriage until then. My mother was married at 16. Can kids make mature decisions at a young age? Some, exception rather than the rule. I don't want to fight against those exceptions persay. I simply think it best if kids finish school before they get married. I think, in the case of teens with babies, we probably make exceptions against ideals and that such should involve both sets of parents, if possible. I rather think the practical and the social a bigger factor at determining age propriety after say, age 15 or 16 for discussion. I'm more comfortable talking about kids being married after 21 however, I yet cringe with marriages just out of high school but realize a good many of them work. From a biblical perspective, I have other concerns, but when it comes to age, it is more of a developmental, practical, and social expectation. I'd like to see kids steer clear of adult themes until they are well past 18.

Arranged marriages are a bit different, and tend to be done in cultures where a caste system is seen or understood, thus they are looking at the life-long welfare of their child and ensuring provision. Especially among the poor, such is an important weight. One would like to think, however, that even they can wait until the child is older but when they have that kind of poverty, the earlier may actually be looking toward their child's greater welfare.. Such can even take place in America, Canada, and other nations that tend to allow for personal choice regarding marriage. Many still see marriage and love as a social and community covenant.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
As aCW is squirming around the question on his own thread and coming up with ever more elaborate and goofball ways to deflect away from it I thought I'd branch it out here. This isn't just about Phil Robertson's notorious comments about getting girls at 15/16 before they pick pockets at 20 apparently but that's the kind of mindset that has its voice here disturbingly. Time and again it's said or implied on here that the societal acceptance of homosexuality will open the floodgates to paedophilia and yet there's some here who seem to have no problem with children being married as long as the parents condone such an arrangement.

Thoughts?

At the parental level, there's no way I'd give permission to my own children without major mitigating circumstances, and pregnancy would not be one of those circumstances. It would have to be something at the level of granting a dying wish. Having said that, 18 is a legal adult, so this is in reference to Phil Roberton's magical 15/16 (or younger, for those wanting to hark back to the supposed age of the biblical Mary).

At the personal level, I know two women married at 16 and at 17. Both into long, unhappy marriages. Of course someone can live an unhappy marriage no matter what age they get married, but the chances of living an unhappy marriage are greater the younger the age. How many of those marriages stay together for security alone, because the wife in particular has no resources to support herself in the event of a divorce because she never had the opportunity to get an education or usable job experience?

At a conceptual level, it doesn't matter what marriageable age used to be once upon a time in the fairy tales of people's imaginations. In 1900, the expected life span of a U.S. citizen was 47. In the 1930s it was 62, which is why the social security payout age began about that time. Never has the expected life span been what is is now (~80 in the U.S.), so when you put childhood into the context of that longer life span, 15 doesn't even mean the same thing.

Bottom line: anyone today condoning such a young age for marriage has power and control issues, whether they'll admit it or not - or whether they know it or not. (Ignorance based in being taught submission from a young age and they simply don't know any other way. When it comes to that kind of upbringing, Fred Phelp's granddaughter and ex-follower Megan Phelps-Roper comes to mind.)

Unfollow: How a prized daughter of the Westboro Baptist Church came to question its beliefs

(A terrific article, well worth taking the time to read it.)

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What about if both were 15?

The main point of this thread is to show how unhinged and dangerous it could be if marriage could be determined for minors to adults but just to get the above out of the way...

No ... IF they are too young to drive, drink, get tattoos, piercings, medical treatment, etc., they are certainly not adult enough to marry.

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Phil Robertson certainly stuck his foot in his mouth with that gem. He comes across flat out creepy and misogynistic.

First guess ... to get them out of the house so they (the parent/parents) have the freedom to do whatever they feel like doing. Second guess, by someone else taking care of them, they are eased of a financial burden.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

Thoughts?

my thoughts?

i think you're a retard if you think marriage and pedophilia have anything to do with each other

unless you're even more retarded than you appear to be, and you believe that a young wife will never age

ClimateSanity

What is the purpose of marriage?

Who should have a say as to how it is done?

Children should be protected.

Can marriage damage a child? Will it always?

Does society have a say in who should be allowed to married?

Sex and marriage usually go together. Other than rape, can sex harm people who don't have a fully developed frontal cortex?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The question of the OP was in regards to allowing teens to marry. Period. It didn't mention marrying *because* of pregnancy.