Texas mother and Guns Rights advocate shoots and kills both daughters in the street.

Alate_One

Unusual for a woman to do this but then, she was apparently very protective of her gun rights.

Police in Fort Bend County said that 42-year-old Christy Sheats was shot by officers after they arrived at her home in response to a series of 911 calls. When they arrived, they found two women lying in the street, both of the seriously injured from gun shot wounds. Standing next to them - carrying a gun, according to police - was Ms Sheats.

Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office said that Ms Sheats was ordered to drop the weapon. When she did not, she was shot and killed by a police officer. Ms Sheats husband, and the father of the two girls, witnessed the entirety of the violence. It was his birthday.

Source

Because, you know, guns always keep us safer . . .

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Not as safe as bathtubs and vehicles ... just ask Andrea Yates and Susan Smith ...

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774 - 1776

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not as safe as bathtubs and vehicles ... just ask Andrea Yates and Susan Smith ...

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774 - 1776

I was being sarcastic ....

The gun was not responsible for the episodes of violence ...

Feral Phoenician

I was being sarcastic ....

The gun was not responsible for the episodes of violence ...
Exactly. Less to do with guns, more to do with "Mom" being a dirtbag.

I've been in plenty of family disputes, and I can affirm no one was ever killed on account of one, and my parents do own guns.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Unusual for a woman to do this but then, she was apparently very protective of her gun rights.

Police in Fort Bend County said that 42-year-old Christy Sheats was shot by officers after they arrived at her home in response to a series of 911 calls. When they arrived, they found two women lying in the street, both of the seriously injured from gun shot wounds. Standing next to them - carrying a gun, according to police - was Ms Sheats.

Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office said that Ms Sheats was ordered to drop the weapon. When she did not, she was shot and killed by a police officer. Ms Sheats husband, and the father of the two girls, witnessed the entirety of the violence. It was his birthday.

Source

Because, you know, guns always keep us safer . . .
Wow, this stuff just writes itself.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I've been in plenty of family disputes, and I can affirm no one was ever killed on account of one, and my parents do own guns.

Same here. My father had quite the collection ... and in our household, the guns were never locked up in a gun cabinet. They didn't need to be. Proper parental introduction to guns includes the fact that guns are not toys, but rather protection.

Alate_One

Just saying firearms make it easier to turn anger into death, especially if you're someone that wants to carry them at all times. I think it reduces your respect for a firearm as a highly destructive weapon.

Can we not ask the question, if she hadn't been carrying a firearm, would the argument have ended in death?

Feral Phoenician

Same here. My father had quite the collection ... and in our household, the guns were never locked up in a gun cabinet. They didn't need to be. Proper parental introduction to guns includes the fact that guns are not toys, but rather protection.
My parents were, well, "militant" in their younger days (ah, the 70's-80's) and felt it very important to own firearms. They "mellowed" with age and kids, but Mom has always had a handgun in her top dresser drawer (and loaded), and Dad keeps some weapons on his side of the bed (the closet is right there).

We (my siblings and I) knew they were there, we knew they weren't toys (and we really knew it was our butts if we touched them).

I use to own some guns, but I don't anymore.

Feral Phoenician

Just saying firearms make it easier to turn anger into death, especially if you're someone that wants to carry them at all times. I think it reduces your respect for a firearm as a highly destructive weapon.

Can we not ask the question, if she hadn't been carrying a firearm, would the argument have ended in death?

We can agree, actually.

Had she not had guns, she would have been relegated to knives, hammers, etc. "Mom" was still a flaming bag of crap, so I still see violence having erupted.

When I owned guns, I didn't carry them around (Arizona has probably the loosest firearm laws in the country, don't even need a permit to carry concealed).

I don't want to get too into my life story, but I don't own any anymore. It's just not wise for me to.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

More than likely yes ... it would be just as likely that she would have used her vehicle to run them down or beat them to death with a baseball bat. Just because it's easier to pull a trigger doesn't mean someone intent on murder will only do the deed via access to a gun.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My parents were, well, "militant" in their younger days (ah, the 70's-80's) and felt it very important to own firearms. They "mellowed" with age and kids, but Mom has always had a handgun in her top dresser drawer (and loaded), and Dad keeps some weapons on his side of the bed (the closet is right there).

We (my siblings and I) knew they were there, we knew they weren't toys (and we really knew it was our butts if we touched them).

I use to own some guns, but I don't anymore.

Even though my mother isn't against gun ownership, when my father died, she split his guns between my ex-brother-in-law and my two brothers. Shortly afterwards, we relocated to a different city and state that has far less crime.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
That's the complete opposite of my experience.
Go right ahead.

Alate_One

More than likely yes ... it would be just as likely that she would have used her vehicle to run them down or beat them to death with a baseball bat. Just because it's easier to pull a trigger doesn't mean someone intent on murder will only do the deed via access to a gun.

If you're *intent*. The question is ease of use. Pulling a trigger is very easy. Stabbing someone is getting up close and personal and less likely to be fatal, same with a baseball bat. And the other two give the person a lot more time for fleeing to safety.

Think about theft. Why do we bother locking anything up if people intent on stealing are just going to steal anyway? Because putting a lock on something makes it harder, reducing the number of people that will steal your valuables. And the more valuable something is, the harder we generally make it to steal it. What does it say about the value of human life when we have people campaigning to make it easier to have a firearm on your person at all times?

I'm not against firearms in principle, but they're extremely powerful tools and should be carefully regulated. The average person shouldn't be carrying them around on a regular basis. It's simply too easy to use them in anger or do something stupid.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
:doh:
You cannot have a gun drawn when police, not sure of the situation, asks for you to put it down. That's common sense- the police are just as mortal as the next person, with families and a will to live.

jeffblue101

so what's your point, that we should ban all guns?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you're *intent*. The question is ease of use. Pulling a trigger is very easy. Stabbing someone is getting up close and personal and less likely to be fatal, same with a baseball bat. And the other two give the person a lot more time for fleeing to safety.

That ease of use is exactly why a gun is the best and most reliable form of protection a homeowner can have available ...