Texas mother and Guns Rights advocate shoots and kills both daughters in the street.

Alate_One

That ease of use is exactly why a gun is the best and most reliable form of protection a homeowner can have available ...

And one of the more reliable ways for children to be killed or seriously injured in the home if they're found loaded. Every state should have laws on the books holding parents responsible for accidental firearm deaths involving kids.

256 kids were shot accidentally last year, 83 of those being fatal. How many homeowners protected themselves over the same period?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Think about theft. Why do we bother locking anything up if people intent on stealing are just going to steal anyway? Because putting a lock on something makes it harder, reducing the number of people that will steal your valuables. And the more valuable something is, the harder we generally make it to steal it. What does it say about the value of human life when we have people campaigning to make it easier to have a firearm on your person at all times?
It says that one of these things is not like the others. False analogy. If we really want to keep people safe we should lock them up with a cot and a commode and give them food and water through a slot in the door.
I'm not against firearms in principle, but they're extremely powerful tools and should be carefully regulated.
They already are carefully regulated. You used to be able to buy a machine gun through mail order.
The average person shouldn't be carrying them around on a regular basis.
Then you would vote to repeal the Second Amendment. Accept it.
It's simply too easy to use them in anger or do something stupid.
Which is why I think that mouse guns should be banned and confiscated, because they are disproportionately used to commit crimes and suicides, and they are, IMO, informed by SCOTUS cases, not protected by the Second Amendment since they serve no military value and no militaries use them.

They should be reserved for LEO work (undercover, where deep concealment is required) only.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
:doh:
You cannot have a gun drawn when police, not sure of the situation, asks for you to put it down. That's common sense- the police are just as mortal as the next person, with families and a will to live.
Agreed. Once the police arrive, you hopefully don't need to be holding it anymore anyway. Holster it or drop it and put your hands up and cooperate.

jeffblue101

No. Didn't bother to read my other posts did you? I think we need more regulations to reduce harm from firearms.
and exactly what are the regulations that could have been passed that would have stopped this women from owning a handgun, or are you just looking to prey on emotions in order to advocate more gun regulations that have nothing to do with news story linked in the OP.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
And one of the more reliable ways for children to be killed or seriously injured in the home if they're found loaded. Every state should have laws on the books holding parents responsible for accidental firearm deaths involving kids.

256 kids were shot accidentally last year, 83 of those being fatal. How many homeowners protected themselves over the same period?
Mouse guns are easier to lose track of, easier to conceal to commit crimes, easier to shoot oneself with, and easier for an innocent child to operate, than firearms with military value.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
and exactly what are the regulations that could have been passed that would have stopped this women from owning a handgun, or are you just looking to prey on emotions in order to advocate more gun regulations that have nothing to do with news story linked in the OP.
It seems that the further we get into this topic, the closer anti-RKBA people come to requiring something like the "Precogs" in the movie Minority Report in order to "reasonably" regulate firearms.

Precogs are fictional. We can't know that this or that person is going to commit a crime with a firearm. The answer is not, therefore, that nobody should be allowed to own or carry them. That's specifically what the Second Amendment recognizes (authoritatively, according to the SCOTUS), and what anti-RKBA people deny.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I was being sarcastic ....

The gun was not responsible for the episodes of violence ...
Of course. :thumb:

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824

eider

Even though my mother isn't against gun ownership, when my father died, she split his guns between my ex-brother-in-law and my two brothers. Shortly afterwards, we relocated to a different city and state that has far less crime.

Hi....
Why didn't she include you in the guns handout?

Feral Phoenician

October of 1988....Colt Python .357, blued with walnut target grips and a 4" barrel. I and my ex-girlfriend are alive, whole and unmolested because of it.
"God made big men, and God made small men, but Samuel Colt made them equal".

Glad you and her are OK. If it was a situation dangerous enough to warrant either the brandishing, or even use, of a firearm, it was serious.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
"God made big men, and God made small men, but Samuel Colt made them equal".

Glad you and her are OK. If it was a situation dangerous enough to warrant either the brandishing, or even use, of a firearm, it was serious.

Four men with knives....Yeah, it was bad. :plain:

I'm not going to go too much into it because of the laws being what they were at the time they possibly would have thrown ME in jail....As sad as that is.

Feral Phoenician

Four men with knives....Yeah, it was bad. :plain:

I'm not going to go too much into it because of the laws being what they were at the time they possibly would have thrown ME in jail....As sad as that is.
Geez...

Oh sure, you should have called the police with your nonexistent cell phone (1988 and all), and been stabbed to death while waiting, rather than brandish your gun in public.

Those laws are ridiculous. One of my very good friends is from Fayetteville, North Carolina, and he taught me a wonderful old Southern saying; "It is better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six".

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Geez...

Oh sure, you should have called the police with your nonexistent cell phone (1988 and all), and been stabbed to death while waiting, rather than brandish your gun in public.

Those laws are ridiculous. One of my very good friends is from Fayetteville, North Carolina, and he taught me a wonderful old Southern saying; "It is better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six".

This is true...If ya gotta have one or the other, I'll take the first option.