Theology Club: The Big Picture

Arsenios

Once the world has been created, it is as real as God is.

So WHO gave your "reality" to what is created?

Is the GIVER of reality the same as the RECEIVER of reality?

That’s what real means!

It only does so if one cannot tell the difference between Henry Ford and a Model T Ford...

Or did anyone think that God created something that was not real?

Creation is real, and God gave it the reality that is possesses...

He also sustains it's reality, but this is beyond your scope...

Of course not!

I love philosophers talking with themselves!

But for Calvinists, man cannot know God. For Calvinists, God is completely hidden from the world, from creation and there is no sharing of reality, no common language, no common ability to communicate and no simultaneity of events.

Well, I am no Calvinist, but every one I know will DENY what you are saying, because God has made Himself known to man by becoming a man... The last Revelation of God to man that man should not only know ABOUT God, which is all you mistakenly offer, but become as Him...

"And this Eternal Life IS, that you should KNOW the One, True God, and His Son, Jesus Christ." You may remember this quote...??

The Orthodox Fathers answer to your dilemma is to say that we CAN know God in His Creative Energies that create creation, but that we CANNOT know God according to His Essence, whereby He created creation from nothing...

If you choose to deny this, all you need to do is create me something out of nothing...

The reality of Henry Ford is the cause of the reality of the Model T Ford automobile...

The reality of the Model T has NO CHANCE of grasping the reality of Henry Ford...

Multiply THAT by infinity, and you will get a small glimmering of the difference between the "reality" of your puniness and mine, and the Supra-Reality of God's Essence.

Or you can always just create us something from nothing! You know, reality from unreality... Should be pretty straightforward, since you and God are the same reality, according to you...

Get back to me on that, will you?

Arsenios

Last edited:

Arsenios

God is moral because He is RATIONAL???

Now THAT is totally nuts!

The Model T concludes that Henry Ford has pistons!

Arsenios

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I want to be clear about this one thing brothers, if God is not constrained by shared reality then there is no point in claiming that God is good or that he is loving or merciful. By making claims such as these, it is always implied that the words you use have the same meaning when applied to God as they do in the common understanding.

When I say ‘constrained’ I don’t mean that God is not almighty. Of course he is almighty. He is as powerful as he needs to be to accomplish his purposes. But what I mean is that if for example he had decided to cause a church to grow up in a certain town but there were some evil people there who didn’t want any church in their town, God is capable of destroying those evil people or thwarting their plans as easy as batting an eyelid. The point about constraint is that the presence of such evil people constrains God. He can’t cause the church to grow in that town without first getting rid of the evil guys. He can’t just imagine the church there and lo and behold it is, because the evil guys are real. Plus, God can’t even want to start a church in a certain town unless that town existed in the first place. The very existence of the town is a pre-condition of him desiring to build a church there. So even though God is easily powerful enough to handle any situation, every act of his that has anything to do with his creation, is an act that has a context that must be respected. I thought that The Incredible Platypus already stated this well and no one appears to have disputed it:

We are not completely free beings. We cannot simply do whatever we want when we want. If we could, then no one could judge us, because effectively, the universe is your playground. Or to put it another way, if anyone did judge us, that judgement would be worthless. You would define what right and wrong is.
We are under all sorts of restrictions and constraints that prevent us from doing things. This means that we have to make choices between several courses of action. These choices have to be meaningful of course. That is, the effect of choosing one course of action is different to the effect of another course of action.
If, in the manner I described above, a building is in a city is worthless to you, then for all the difference it made, you could walk through it as if it were thin air. As far as you are concerned, it does not exist.
Of course in the real world, value does not work like this. Every object and person has a value (in the sense I described above) to you simply by being there. You may not care whether something is there or not, but this will not change the fact that it is.

So it is clear that when we ask the question, ‘Is God moral?’, we are using the word ‘moral’ in the commonly understood sense of consistently acting morally or with integrity and goodness. However, if we cannot say that God is real, then we can neither say that he is moral. Because the language we use implies a consistent reality. This conclusion is unpalatable to dualists such as Calvinists and some orthodox and Catholics because of course they would like to be able to say that God is moral.
Why would they like to say this? The following passage is very illuminating:

Matthew 21:23-26
23 When He entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to Him while He was teaching, and said, “By what authority are You doing these things, and who gave You this authority?” 24 Jesus said to them, “I will also ask you one [d]thing, which if you tell Me, I will also tell you by what authority I do these things. 25 The baptism of John was from what source, from heaven or from men?” And they began reasoning among themselves, saying, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ He will say to us, ‘Then why did you not believe him?’ 26 But if we say, ‘From men,’ we fear the [e]people; for they all regard John as a prophet.” 27 And answering Jesus, they said, “We do not know.” He also said to them, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things.

The bigwigs didn’t like to put in words the real consequences of their beliefs because it would be unpalatable to the crowds. Calvinists don’t want to admit that it is a consequence of their belief system that God is not moral. But this is exactly what their belief system implies. It is unavoidable. This is quite apart from their doctrine that everything, both good and bad, that happens in the world, is his will. Surely, this cannot be clearer? For how can a God who wills both good and bad be held to be anything other than totally amoral? This is what they don’t want to tell you explicitly.

Sometimes, however, it does happen that a Calvinist will admit to these conclusions. B57 for example often claims that God does not love everyone, nor is it his purpose to save everyone. I’m afraid I can’t quote a reference for that because the relevant post was deleted in the cull a few months back. The Calvinist view of God as amoral comes across clearly there. Nearer at home, we have a similar admission from Lon, where he states that we, like a bowling ball, have no say in what we do in life and that everything is the work of God:

Yes 'limit' means closed/stopped. Wherever the end of the rope reaches, is completely knowable. Relationship both opens up what doesn't exist, but it also closes other doors. I completely know, everything I've ever created. There can't be an accident happening to my creation. It is all my work.

Which describes God (the bowlerama that is constant) and me the bowler, with what I can and can't do. The alley isn't going to see anything different and will know before I release the ball what is going to happen next. So, again, even the Open View is logically capable and seeing that the system is fully knowable.

Sure, but where that is a constrain to you and I, it is not to God. Limited example: He can be at the play AND at the game. You and I are stuck with a limitation. For us, it is closed.

Agree. He is the bowler , we are the clay, er bowling ball.

At least here, he seems to concur that we ourselves are not responsible. And likening us to bowling balls (his analogy), he seems to also admit that we are not responsible for what we do. I am sure that now that I have pointed this out, he will want to retract this or qualify it. Why? As I said above. This kind of conclusion is unpalatable to most people and so the Calvinist likes to keep it quiet – for fear of the crowds. And, given once again, that Lon’s analogy makes God responsible for everything that happens in the world, the inference that God is amoral is inescapable.

These conclusions about Calvinism and other forms of dualism are the logical consequence of God not sharing reality with his creation. In the Calvinist belief system, God is responsible for everything in the created world. Any perceived open interaction between real things in our world is ultimately an illusion because these interactions are not real. That’s what I meant when I first stated that things have meaning in themselves and that moments in the course of history arise solely from themselves and cannot be predicted. Calvinism ultimately denies this: everything that happens is determined externally by God and value can only be extrinsic. You are only what God says you are, you do only what God wills you to do. That is why it is a logical consequence of Calvinistic dualism (shared largely by Roman Catholicism and eastern orthodoxy) not only that God himself is amoral but that morality itself is only an illusion. The truth is that morality can only exist in a world where real things, real beings, including God himself, are allowed to interact openly; and the fact that God is also real is the proof that God, too, is moral.

I applaud Clete's efforts to bring some rationality into the debate by insisting on the value of logic. Lon is obviously feeling hot under the collar over this, when here:
Hi Clete. I think this an important discussion. I'd love to see it formally debated by two who are a bit more apt than you and I, and by that I mean I don't think we communicate as well to do it justice that I'd like to see. A one-on-one or Battle Royale would be excellent.
he tries to make the issue go away by forming a committee of 2 that will hopefully never come back to report on the issue, thus allowing him to avoid further embarrassment on the subject. Aside from also implying that Clete is incapable of debating the issue himself. Perhaps he hopes that a knight in shining armour will come to rescue him? It's a great debating ploy: claim that neither you nor your opponent are technically capable of doing the debate justice and so avoid the need to admit you are just wrong. But it is interesting that Lon says exactly the opposite in another post:
Not that I disagree with logic, just another's rendition of it. I am in the upper 5 percentile of Intelligence quotients so think I've a fair handle on logic. You can't do well on logic tests without having that firm of a grasp.
So what is it to be, Lon? Have you got a 'fair handle on logic', as you say in one post, or are you 'not apt enough to do it justice' as you say in another post? Why not for once answer in a straight manner, with clear words that we can all understand?

And here:
In general, I think the exhortation is fine but I don't have a problem with all of the examples given as you do. Specifically, however, are you talking about objections you've received as an Open Theist? If so, we are not talking about giving a reason for the hope within us regarding specifically the gospel, but rather the difference between Open Theism and all contenders in-house.
we see Lon with a similar tactic trying to give himself an excuse once again for his lack of logic, claiming that he is a special person and exempt from the scriptural injunction to have a ready explanation for the hope within him when he is discussing his faith with open theists (who else indeed?). Of course for the sake of the crowds he begins by affirming the injunction 'in general'... I rest my case on that issue at least.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Do you REALLY think that God apprehends objects by rationality??

Lord have Mercy!

Arsenios
Of course I do.

You are a lunatic and not worth one more second of my time.

Welcome to my rather crowded ignore list.

:wave2:

Lon

I want to be clear about this one thing brothers, if God is not constrained by shared reality then there is no point in claiming that God is good or that he is loving or merciful. By making claims such as these, it is always implied that the words you use have the same meaning when applied to God as they do in the common understanding.
:nono: This is rationalizing, as a fallen man among fallen men. The point in claiming God is good, is so that men would run to Him because we aren't. Anything else is a denial of the Fall.

When I say ‘constrained’ I don’t mean that God is not almighty. Of course he is almighty. He is as powerful as he needs to be to accomplish his purposes. But what I mean is that if for example he had decided to cause a church to grow up in a certain town but there were some evil people there who didn’t want any church in their town, God is capable of destroying those evil people or thwarting their plans as easy as batting an eyelid. The point about constraint is that the presence of such evil people constrains God. He can’t cause the church to grow in that town without first getting rid of the evil guys. He can’t just imagine the church there and lo and behold it is, because the evil guys are real. Plus, God can’t even want to start a church in a certain town unless that town existed in the first place. The very existence of the town is a pre-condition of him desiring to build a church there. So even though God is easily powerful enough to handle any situation, every act of his that has anything to do with his creation, is an act that has a context that must be respected. I thought that The Incredible Platypus already stated this well and no one appears to have disputed it:
The analogy of the wheat and the tares gives the reason God does not root out the weeds: It'd harm the wheat somehow. God purposefully stays His hand. Your scenario, oddly, has God's hand bound as if He is not almighty. I think you should look up "All" and "Mighty." It is where we get omnipotent. Open Theology tries to limit all. And we Calvinists get accused of limiting 'world?'

So it is clear that when we ask the question, ‘Is God moral?’, we are using the word ‘moral’ in the commonly understood sense of consistently acting morally or with integrity and goodness. However, if we cannot say that God is real, then we can neither say that he is moral. Because the language we use implies a consistent reality. This conclusion is unpalatable to dualists such as Calvinists and some orthodox and Catholics because of course they would like to be able to say that God is moral.
Why would they like to say this? The following passage is very illuminating:

Matthew 21:23-26
Clete, an Open Theist, and I agreed on most things on this page of his thread, that God's morality is 1) Intrinsic and not extrinsic, as it is for you and I. You and I are not innately moral, God's is. That means we conform, He doesn't conform to us. And 2) Is not primarily relational, but is secondarily relational. That means He interacts with us as He is and we get our cues on morality from Him. We cannot rationalize morality, we had to 'learn' right and wrong.

The bigwigs didn’t like to put in words the real consequences of their beliefs because it would be unpalatable to the crowds. Calvinists don’t want to admit that it is a consequence of their belief system that God is not moral. But this is exactly what their belief system implies. It is unavoidable. This is quite apart from their doctrine that everything, both good and bad, that happens in the world, is his will. Surely, this cannot be clearer? For how can a God who wills both good and bad be held to be anything other than totally amoral? This is what they don’t want to tell you explicitly.
Right, I freely admit God is more moral than your (and my) moral perception. Kinda shoots down your false "don't want to admit" as yet another strawman and misconception doesn't it? You are trying to think logically, but coming up with the wrong but possibly preferred[?] answers/accusatory.
Sometimes, however, it does happen that a Calvinist will admit to these conclusions. B57 for example often claims that God does not love everyone, nor is it his purpose to save everyone. I’m afraid I can’t quote a reference for that because the relevant post was deleted in the cull a few months back. The Calvinist view of God as amoral comes across clearly there. Nearer at home, we have a similar admission from Lon, where he states that we, like a bowling ball, have no say in what we do in life and that everything is the work of God:
:nono: You are pushing the logical/truthful envelope. You are assuming truth based off of an analogy. You have freedom not to bowl a 300. There is choice within restraint. I suppose this is why you are an Open Theist though. Some people are just stuck with the limits of their understanding. The good news? Ephesians 2:10 Philippians 2:13 I find great comfort in a leash. I was very happy that my parents didn't let me run in the street. They watched over me as a toddler and wouldn't allow it. There is freedom in loving restraint. There is comfort in a God that will not let us go. I've no problem with His complete control. It ensures I won't destroy myself or blow myself to oblivion.

At least here, he seems to concur that we ourselves are not responsible. And likening us to bowling balls (his analogy), he seems to also admit that we are not responsible for what we do. I am sure that now that I have pointed this out, he will want to retract this or qualify it. Why? As I said above. This kind of conclusion is unpalatable to most people and so the Calvinist likes to keep it quiet – for fear of the crowds. And, given once again, that Lon’s analogy makes God responsible for everything that happens in the world, the inference that God is amoral is inescapable.
:nono: I'm fine with it. I have no fear at all with Biblical concepts and discussing them. IN FACT, if you could somehow prove Open Theism correct, I'd be first in line to make the switch and happily so. Truth outs its own self. There is no fear in truth, love, or grace. Perfect love, John tells us, drives fear out. I think I've adequately given reason above for believing there is freedom in restraint above, as well.

These conclusions about Calvinism and other forms of dualism are the logical consequence of God not sharing reality with his creation. In the Calvinist belief system, God is responsible for everything in the created world. Any perceived open interaction between real things in our world is ultimately an illusion because these interactions are not real. That’s what I meant when I first stated that things have meaning in themselves and that moments in the course of history arise solely from themselves and cannot be predicted. Calvinism ultimately denies this: everything that happens is determined externally by God and value can only be extrinsic. You are only what God says you are, you do only what God wills you to do. That is why it is a logical consequence of Calvinistic dualism (shared largely by Roman Catholicism and eastern orthodoxy) not only that God himself is amoral but that morality itself is only an illusion. The truth is that morality can only exist in a world where real things, real beings, including God himself, are allowed to interact openly; and the fact that God is also real is the proof that God, too, is moral.
This isn't true or else you could defy gravity and fly. Freedom has never meant doing whatever your mind desires to do. That is nowhere better illustrated than sinning in the Garden. There was literally nothing Adam and Eve were prohibited from doing save eating of the true of the Knowledge of Good and Evil but gravity still applied.

I applaud Clete's efforts to bring some rationality into the debate by insisting on the value of logic. Lon is obviously feeling hot under the collar over this, when here:
he tries to make the issue go away by forming a committee of 2 that will hopefully never come back to report on the issue, thus allowing him to avoid further embarrassment on the subject. Aside from also implying that Clete is incapable of debating the issue himself. Perhaps he hopes that a knight in shining armour will come to rescue him? It's a great debating ploy: claim that neither you nor your opponent are technically capable of doing the debate justice and so avoid the need to admit you are just wrong. But it is interesting that Lon says exactly the opposite in another post:
:nono: You have a few hang-ups with me. Here, I'll even go further: The reason why Clete and I couldn't do justice to the discussion is because "I" could not presently do justice to the debate. Why? Because there are formal terms I can't remember. That class was a long time ago. Clete may very well be able to carry that One on One just not with me. So, if I didn't make that clear, thanks for jumping to a hasty and wrong-headed conclusion. Were you doing logic (thinking)? Yes. Were you thinking incorrectly? Yup. Why? I 'think' because you are emotionally tied to Open Theism and that all these accusations are projections of yourself. It seems to make sense of this post of yours.

So what is it to be, Lon? Have you got a 'fair handle on logic', as you say in one post, or are you 'not apt enough to do it justice' as you say in another post? Why not for once answer in a straight manner, with clear words that we can all understand?
Jumping to hasty conclusions isn't the 'best' employment of logic, no? Can I at least get you to apprehend logic that far?

And here:
In general, I think the exhortation is fine but I don't have a problem with all of the examples given as you do. Specifically, however, are you talking about objections you've received as an Open Theist? If so, we are not talking about giving a reason for the hope within us regarding specifically the gospel, but rather the difference between Open Theism and all contenders in-house.
we see Lon with a similar tactic trying to give himself an excuse once again for his lack of logic, claiming that he is a special person and exempt from the scriptural injunction to have a ready explanation for the hope within him when he is discussing his faith with open theists (who else indeed?). Of course for the sake of the crowds he begins by affirming the injunction 'in general'... I rest my case on that issue at least.

Adversarial much? First, you are accusatory over a general agreement :doh:
Second, you are adversarial over a question. :doh:

I realize I put myself on a pedestal to be knocked down. Even an atheist reading along came to a similar erroneous conclusion regarding a One-on-One. He thinks being unprepared for a formal debate a lack of mental sufficiency as well.

The assessment is wrong. I do not participate in formal debates in science. Why? Not my field. I do, however, occasion the Creation threads because I'm well aware of the creation side. I would not be a good candidate for a One-on-One, not because I don't have a sufficient grasp of science because I've had those college classes but not very far in human biology.

So while I could participate, I look for a better quality of One-on-One on TOL. I'd rather read someone else's One-on-One regarding the matter than read my own thoughts over it. I was specifically prepared for our One-On-One, for example and believe I brought things to the table others in a formal and educational manner that has value.

Let's try to drop some of the polemics? Isn't it against the rules of Theology Club to employ polemics?
I try to discuss rather than debate in this TOL section and such means too, that I try to be more formal and respectful of individuals and the subject matter. If the discussion isn't meaningful or of value, I wouldn't continue.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:nono: This is rationalizing, as a fallen man among fallen men.

The point in claiming God is good, is so that men would run to Him because we aren't. Anything else is a denial of the Fall.

Lon, you are just rationalising, as a fallen man among fallen men. The whole of the rest of your post is nothing more than the same kind of rationalising as a fallen man among fallen men.

So do me the honour of giving me one, just one single good reason why I should listen to any of it!

You are doing exactly what I warned of when I said just a couple of posts ago
"Your beliefs or arguments, even though they make sense, are wrong; but I can't say why, because no matter how coherent, researched or logical you are, it doesn't count because God is above logic. You just have to believe me."

Clete was right, rational discussion with you is impossible because you despise logic.

Lon

Lon, you are just rationalising, as a fallen man among fallen men. The whole of the rest of your post is nothing more than the same kind of rationalising as a fallen man among fallen men.
Simply reiterating what I said is just projection isn't it?

So do me the honour of giving me one, just one single good reason why I should listen to any of it!
:up: -->
Lon,

It does sound like we are mostly, if not entirely in agreement on this issue. Whether someone calls God good or not is not what determines whether He is in fact good. Whatever code of morality by which some idiot might declare God to be unrighteous, that code could not be defended rationally and would almost certain lead to arguments that were the equivalent to "It doesn't feel right to me, therefore it's wrong.", which, of course, is not a logically valid argument.

One thing that has been the source of some confusion when I've presented this in the past is the fact that I'm not making any sort of argument about what the specifics of a correct moral code would include. I'm not, for example, making any effort to defend the notion that lying is immoral or that private property rights are a good idea or whatever. I am simply and only presenting what I believe to be a rationally sound path by which we can say that God is good without uttering a meaningless tautology.

Resting in Him,
Clete
You are doing exactly what I warned of when I said just a couple of posts ago : "Your beliefs or arguments, even though they make sense, are wrong; but I can't say why, because no matter how coherent, researched or logical you are, it doesn't count because God is above logic. You just have to believe me."
I think your use of example applies to what you hear and understand rather than what may actually have been said. Clete settled this for me earlier saying that he does not believe in human rationalizing. Now you are about to give a sentiment of Clete's that I've heard before but he and I often enough agree on points later on. It just takes us a painfully long time to get to those agreements most often because of problems with definitions. Again, that's why a one-on-one wouldn't best be carried between he and I.

Clete was right, rational discussion with you is impossible because you despise logic.
First of all, as he'd say, we can't despise logic, because we all do it. Second, here in thread, he rightly labelled it rationalizing and humanizing that I am opposed to. I've not seen Clete give me the above assessment for a long time now, perhaps he said otherwise to you in thread :idunno: I actually think he and I agree fairly often (as demonstrated above) despite being theologically opposed though it often takes a number of posts to get there.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]-->It is possible for God to exist but not be real. He may for example exist as a concept in the mind of a human being or some other rational being but not be real. He may exist in a fictitious story or in a dream but not be real. What is the difference? The difference is that if God is real then he is also perceptible to (or has an effect upon) other real things or, if he were the only real thing, to himself. He is a constraint on other things or himself. If he is real, he will be there whether or not you have a concept of him or dream of him. That is what I mean by real.
I think I see what you're trying to say but I'm afraid there's no difference between your "existence" and "reality." If any noun exists, then that noun is real, is my understanding. Existence apart from reality strains the concept of "distinction."

My hurdle for existence is as low as I can imagine it being: if there is a name, then that thing named exists, at least so far as to say that the name exists, in which case all I'm really saying is that tautologies are logically necessarily true, and any name can compose a tautology.

Definitions are useful examples of tautologies, so there's no harm in basing the idea of existence upon tautologies. Tautologies exist, I think we agree. Even if not enumerated, tautologies the concept exists; the name "tautology" exists, and when we define tautologies, we see that they are trivially true. This triviality doesn't however mean "unimportant" or worse "false," it just means that tautologies are the foundation of language. Tautologies make language work.

I've carefully defined reality or existence in the following way. That which exists or is real detectably manifests, which is very close to your words "perceptible to (or has an effect upon) other real things." The one bit of garbage that you get when applying this definition, are the trivial, tautological or tautologous detectable manifestations of a thing/noun---i.e., a name is a detectable manifestation. So, laying aside a thing's name, what else detectably manifests? For things like "the Aether," nothing apart from its name manifests detectably, so the question becomes not "does X exist?" since in naming it "X," its existence is already, trivially, established, but the question, "What is the significance of X?" Again returning to the Aether, the significance of its existence is on a par with the existence of any word or name that anybody just makes up; i.e., it's insignificant. Not worth our time, not worth talking about.

In answer to one of Arsenios' challenges, to create something from nothing, all we have to do is dream up a new word or name, and there you have it. Hutioshang. There. Something from nothing. That the word "means" nothing is apart from its birth as a new word or name. It now exists, it has detectably manifested. But its significance is on a level with the Aether, since neither of them manifest detectably outside of language.

And returning again to tautologies, since Hutioshang means nothing other than itself, namely, Hutioshang, when we construct its tautology, using the principle of identity or of non-contradiction, we generate "Hutioshang is Hutioshang," a tautology. And this is trivially true, if we consider its content, but when we consider its form, it is also a reflection of how language itself works, so whenever we "only" have a tautology to show that something is real, we are really only saying that language is real, and so this trivial truth "Hutioshang is Hutioshang" is actually one of the most important and significant things that can be said at all, since anything that can be said must rest upon this infinitely logically rigid structure the tautology. Every tautology proves that language exists and works.

So tautologies are at once trivial, and monumentally important.

And when I consider our Maker, and whether He is real, I acknowledge the tautological triviality of His existence, and move on to what other detectable manifestations there are of Him, and the very first thing that immediately comes to mind is the Church, and especially the Holy Catholic Church, the people and the hierarchical structure with clergy and laiety, buildings, books, relics and icons and statues, etc., etc. He has manifested detectably for thousands of years, and His presence continues to grow even today, again, just using my definition of detectable manifestation as a hurdle for existence.

If our Maker only manifested detectably as His name, then our faith would indeed be as silly and superstitious as many atheists think that it is and that we are being.

Reactions: Lon

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Simply reiterating what I said is just projection isn't it?
Wishful thinking, Lon.
Use what's in your 95th percentile IQ and tell me why I shouldn't dismiss everything you have said as the rationalising of a fallen sinful man. Don't try pointing to apparent areas of agreement with Clete, because he is also a fallen sinful man (in your belief) and has no better handle on truth than you, so you are contradicting yourself.

Alternatively, you could retract that statement and actually deal with my points. I haven't got time to waste on people who dismiss my well-thought arguments with 'You are fallen, therefore you are wrong.' I consider it disrespect on your part; I do; I am offended; if I weren't a Christian, I would swear at you and call you unprintable names. My life is too short for that. Really. In practice, you have conceded the argument already, since you don't appear to have a proper logical or rational response.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think I see what you're trying to say but I'm afraid there's no difference between your "existence" and "reality." If any noun exists, then that noun is real, is my understanding. Existence apart from reality strains the concept of "distinction."

Thanks for sharing your understanding.

My hurdle for existence is as low as I can imagine it being: if there is a name, then that thing named exists, at least so far as to say that the name exists, in which case all I'm really saying is that tautologies are logically necessarily true, and any name can compose a tautology.

Definitions are useful examples of tautologies, so there's no harm in basing the idea of existence upon tautologies. Tautologies exist, I think we agree. Even if not enumerated, tautologies the concept exists; the name "tautology" exists, and when we define tautologies, we see that they are trivially true. This triviality doesn't however mean "unimportant" or worse "false," it just means that tautologies are the foundation of language. Tautologies make language work.

I've carefully defined reality or existence in the following way.
Right there, is where your mistake is encapsulated. You've created an invalid definition because it is two definitions with an ambiguous OR connective. You have effectively assumed your own conclusion.

That which exists or is real
There you do it again.

Everything you say after this is subordinate to this initial error. However, my argument relied on a particular definition of reality and a distinction between reality and existence, which were well separated in my argument. So you don't appear to have added anything that might contradict it. Everything that is real also exists. But everything that exists is not necessarily real. I am not asking you or anyone to accept this as a given absolute and unqualified truth. I am just asking you to accept it as the beginning of a reasoned argument. Because I have made a clear distinction between these terms, my argument may develop. But you have not made any kind of distinction. All you appear to be saying is that in your opinion everything that exists is real. I am fine with you having that opinion but it doesn't contradict my own argument.

And returning again to tautologies, since Hutioshang means nothing other than itself, namely, Hutioshang, when we construct its tautology, using the principle of identity or of non-contradiction, we generate "Hutioshang is Hutioshang," a tautology. And this is trivially true, if we consider its content, but when we consider its form, it is also a reflection of how language itself works, so whenever we "only" have a tautology to show that something is real, we are really only saying that language is real, and so this trivial truth "Hutioshang is Hutioshang" is actually one of the most important and significant things that can be said at all, since anything that can be said must rest upon this infinitely logically rigid structure the tautology. Every tautology proves that language exists and works.

This is fine for tautologies but I was talking about reality. Reality as a whole is autologous. Which is where your limited perspective cannot go.

Lon

Wishful thinking, Lon.
Use what's in your 95th percentile IQ and tell me why I shouldn't dismiss everything you have said as the rationalising of a fallen sinful man. Don't try pointing to apparent areas of agreement with Clete, because he is also a fallen sinful man (in your belief) and has no better handle on truth than you, so you are contradicting yourself.

Alternatively, you could retract that statement and actually deal with my points. I haven't got time to waste on people who dismiss my well-thought arguments with 'You are fallen, therefore you are wrong.' I consider it disrespect on your part; I do; I am offended; if I weren't a Christian, I would swear at you and call you unprintable names. My life is too short for that. Really. In practice, you have conceded the argument already, since you don't appear to have a proper logical or rational response.
Gotcha. Clete was talking about a specific logical error called rationalizationsm (thanks4correction Clete). It is basically 1) the examples of dissonant dialogue you and he gave and 2) what I am also talking about.

I in no way meant offense and will bow out at this point. I'm not sure what part causes the grief, but I apologize and leave this thread with that apology on the table. -Lon

Last edited:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Gotcha. Clete was talking about a specific logical error called rationalization. It is basically 1) the examples of dissonant dialogue you and he gave and 2) what I am also talking about.

I in no way meant offense and will bow out at this point. I'm not sure what part causes the grief, but I apologize and leave this thread with that apology on the table. -Lon

I don't care what he was talking about. It doesn't matter whether you intended offence or not. Usually offence is not intended, but it is offence just the same. It is cowardly of you to bow out, to run away. I wasn't interested in your apologies but in your rectifying your mistake. Your apology means nothing if you don't. 'I didn't mean it' is the child's response. You need to grow up.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Gotcha. Clete was talking about a specific logical error called rationalization. It is basically 1) the examples of dissonant dialogue you and he gave and 2) what I am also talking about.

It's rationalism that I think you were objecting too rather than rationalization but regardless we ironed it out.

And if it makes anyone feel any better about the whole exchange, I wasn't offended in the slightest. It was just a matter of defining terms really. Once we both understood what the other was talking about the issue went away. That's the way it's supposed to work if you ask me.

Clete

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's rationalism that I think you were objecting too rather than rationalization but regardless we ironed it out.
And if it makes anyone feel any better about the whole exchange, I wasn't offended in the slightest. It was just a matter of defining terms really. Once we both understood what the other was talking about the issue went away. That's the way it's supposed to work if you ask me.
Clete

As I already said, it has nothing to do with rationalising or rationalism. It has to do with Lon telling me that my argument was invalid because I was a sinful and fallen man.

Is this too hard for people with IQs in the 95th percentile to grasp? It is anti-intellectual, anti-logic and it is against the biblical injunction to have a ready answer for the hope that is in us.

Bowing out is not an answer. Sending me pos reps and PMs is not an answer. I don't expect intelligent Christians to tell me that my argument is wrong because I am a fallen sinful man. The only correct answer is to go back and correct the offending post and give me a proper answer, a rational answer.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Thanks for sharing your understanding.
Yup.
Right there, is where your mistake is encapsulated. You've created an invalid definition because it is two definitions with an ambiguous OR connective. You have effectively assumed your own conclusion.
Nope. My definition is never "OR," but only possibly "AND." Trivial existence is only tautological, where the referent is only manifested within language, while detectable manifestation beyond language (where the referent is both within and beyond language) is what you are calling "real." Beyond seeing no benefit from trying to shoehorn in a distinction where there is no room for one, I see it as injurious to clear communication to force a distinction between these two words. To say that something can exist and not be real is saying that it is only detectably manifested within language and not beyond language.
There you do it again.

Everything you say after this is subordinate to this initial error. However, my argument relied on a particular definition of reality and a distinction between reality and existence, which were well separated in my argument. So you don't appear to have added anything that might contradict it. Everything that is real also exists.
That's fine.
But everything that exists is not necessarily real.
So my mind goes immediately here to theoretical physics, that postulates hypotheses that have not yet been either confirmed or denied. The recent discovery of gravity waves is a case where a postulate was confirmed. In this case, while these gravity waves before their confirmation existed only in language, I would say that they existed and that they are real, because they manifested in language. Whether or not they detectably manifested outside of language was unknown back then, but now that we've confirmed their manifestation beyond language, we know that back before their confirmation that they both existed and were real, according to your distinction between existence and reality. But we didn't know that then, we only had "gravity waves" in language and nothing confirmed their manifestation beyond that, beyond language. You would say that, absent confirmation, that gravity waves existed but were not real, or at least, had not yet been confirmed as being real. My definition of existence and reality therefore provides the bridge needed mentally to connect existence and reality with significance. It was insignificant that gravity waves existed before their confirmation, and when they were confirmed, then their significance jumped immediately. You would say that their reality was confirmed, I would say that their significance changed suddenly.
I am not asking you or anyone to accept this as a given absolute and unqualified truth. I am just asking you to accept it as the beginning of a reasoned argument. Because I have made a clear distinction between these terms, my argument may develop. But you have not made any kind of distinction. All you appear to be saying is that in your opinion everything that exists is real. I am fine with you having that opinion but it doesn't contradict my own argument.
I presented a bit more than a naked opinion on the matter. And my overall point, which probably got lost in all the verbiage, is that you did not make a clear distinction between existence and reality, and I showed why, and suggested that instead of this unclear distinction that we talk about the significance or some similar concept. "A mosquito in Thailand" may or may not be detectably manifesting right now, and regardless of whether it is or not, it's quite insignificant to me since I'm nowhere near Thailand. It may exist and be real, in your words, but who cares? Who cares that I made up a word in my last post? Nobody. And that, has no bearing on my creation's existence or reality, in my words.
This is fine for tautologies but I was talking about reality.
You don't mean that tautologies aren't real, right? That's what it sounds like.
Reality as a whole is autologous.
You're trying to use language to say something that is beyond language.
Which is where your limited perspective cannot go.
Between the two of us, I've got the unlimited perspective here while yours is limited.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
So what is it that you think I am trying to say that is beyond language?
Any explanation that is not based upon tautology is not able to be said. You're trying to talk about the world apart from language, using language, while excluding language from that world. That's literally nonsense.

When I say that you're creating a distinction between existence and reality that does not manifest detectably beyond language, this is an example. Since beyond the distinction that you're saying is there, this distinction does not manifest beyond your words, you have created a ghost with no reality beyond its trivial tautological manifestation. So, there really is a distinction, because you say there is, but it's at best insignificant, and in my estimation it is superfluous to distinguish existence from reality, causing nothing more than unneeded confusion and cloudiness in what you're trying to argue.

Ghosts exist and are real. Our Maker exists and is real. What's the difference? Their detectable manifestation beyond language. Ghosts have very little while our Maker manifests detectably beyond language quite a great deal. So it matters that our Maker exists and is real, and it doesn't matter that ghosts do also, because of detectable manifestation beyond language.

I also apologize for my own lack of clarity. It is not deliberate.