The Changing Views of Modern Christians

PureX

Regarding God's Will - first, He doesn't force it:

2 Peter 3:9 KJV The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
What humans thought/think God thinks or feels is called 'opinion', not truth. The difference being that human opinion is subject to error, while the truth is simply 'what is'.

The refusal of so many Christians to recognize this difference is a serious problem, and I believe, is a glaring example of mankind's 'original sin', in action. That is presuming ourselves to be God's equals: to know the mind and heart of God.

PureX

The Bible speaks about the Jesus Christ of history. My point is how can someone call themselves a "Christian" and NEVER read the Bible? They would have no understanding of who God is and the importance of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, let alone what it means to live "in Christ".
You conception of God and Christ is completely dependent upon the fact that you were introduced to these through the NT stories and comments. But the stories and comments are only a means of conveying an ideal. And if that ideal is true, then it will be true regardless of the words, stories, comments, or whatever other means we use to convey that truth to one another. Because the truth is 'what is'. It's written into the fabric of existence.

In this case, the ideal being conveyed is that God's love acting in us and through us and to each other, will heal us and save us from ourselves, and in so doing will restore both man and the Earth to it's rightful place in God's divine plan (logos). And if this ideal is true, as I believe it is, then it will be found to be written into the fabric of reality: of our existence. Because the truth is 'what is'. As I believe it can be. So that anyone who is looking for the truth and/or salvation of mankind, will be able to see it for themselves, and experience it for themselves, regardless of the Biblical textual means of conveying that ideal from generation to generation.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
You conception of God and Christ is completely dependent upon the fact that you were introduced to these through the NT stories and comments. So that anyone who is looking for the truth and/or salvation of mankind, will be able to see it for themselves, and experience it for themselves, regardless of the Biblical textual means of conveying that ideal from generation to generation.

John 14:6 KJV - John 6:44 KJV -

Selaphiel

PureX said:
You conception of God and Christ is completely dependent upon the fact that you were introduced to these through the NT stories and comments. But the stories and comments are only a means of conveying an ideal. And if that ideal is true, then it will be true regardless of the words, stories, comments, or whatever other means we use to convey that truth to one another. Because the truth is 'what is'. It's written into the fabric of existence.

But Christ is per definition as particular title, not a universal one. It is irreducibly linked to Israel and Jewish expectation, particularily apocalyptic Jewish expectation. Christianity is at least to a certain extent a religion of revelation. As in, we do not see truth and God in the fabric of existence (not because it is not there, but because we are blind), God reveals himself to us. Christianity is the religion that claims that the Father was revealed in the Son who is none other than Jesus of Nazareth, and is continually revealed in the risen Christ in the church through the Spirit. He is portrayed in the scriptures, both Old and New testaments. Without those, there is no such thing as Christianity or a 'Christ'. What exactly do you take Christ to mean? Why would you designate such a reality with a title that is so inexorably tied to a particular tradition?

In this case, the ideal being conveyed is that God's love acting in us and through us and to each other, will heal us and save us from ourselves, and in so doing will restore both man and the Earth to it's rightful place in God's divine plan (logos).

But this is a description so general that it is close to being meaningless unless it is further specified. The revelation of Christianity is not an ideal, it is an event: The incarnation, life, death and resurrection of Christ. There would have been no doubt in the mind of early Christians what resurrection meant. It is the claim that in the event of Jesus Christ, God and the telos of history is revealed. Again, this requires looking into the scriptures.

And if this ideal is true, as I believe it is, then it will be found to be written into the fabric of reality: of our existence. Because the truth is 'what is'. As I believe it can be. So that anyone who is looking for the truth and/or salvation of mankind, will be able to see it for themselves, and experience it for themselves, regardless of the Biblical textual means of conveying that ideal from generation to generation.

I am not so sure that is true. Christianity and the highly particlar Judeo-Christian heritage lead a moral revolution, a reconception of mankind compared to that of pagan antiquity. There was nothing self-evident about it. "Truth is what it is", that is self-evident, it is a simple tautology. But what is that truth and how do you have access to it? Christianity claims that the truth is the Father revealed in the Son in the Spirit. And the Son is a particular human being in history, and the Father affirmed in the resurrection that he was to be identified by the this particular person. That is revelatory.

Granted, the apocalyptic expectation has been modified with the delay of the parousia, and how we receive this revelation in different contexts and whatnot. However, it seems necessary that there is a unbreakable link between scriptures and Christianity. That they contain something that isn't universally available. I think that the scriptures as the message to us in some way, which we understand contextually, is an absolute necessity.

PureX

But Christ is per definition as particular title, not a universal one. It is irreducibly linked to Israel and Jewish expectation, particularily apocalyptic Jewish expectation. Christianity is at least to a certain extent a religion of revelation. As in, we do not see truth and God in the fabric of existence (not because it is not there, but because we are blind), God reveals himself to us. Christianity is the religion that claims that the Father was revealed in the Son who is none other than Jesus of Nazareth, and is continually revealed in the risen Christ in the church through the Spirit. He is portrayed in the scriptures, both Old and New testaments. Without those, there is no such thing as Christianity or a 'Christ'. What exactly do you take Christ to mean? Why would you designate such a reality with a title that is so inexorably tied to a particular tradition?
There is the story, and there is the lesson (revelation) of the story. The story of Jesus of Nazareth is a mythical story, meaning that it is intended to convey a revelation. As a means to that end, 'Jesus' becomes the Christ. He becomes a human manifestation of God's love, and forgiveness, and kindness, and generosity, and example for all mankind. Jesus is the embodiment of the revelation. Of the lesson being conveyed.

But the essence of that revelation, of that lesson, is a truth. It is a truth that, as truth, permeates existence itself. And can therefor be recognized and experienced by we humans, if we are looking for it.

Yes, we are often blinded from the truth by our own willful ignorance, egotism, and selfish nature. But not always, and not totally. Or else blind we would remain, forever.

The mythical story of Jesus of Nazareth has helped mankind seek and recognize the truth of the saving grace of God's love acting within and through us. But the truth of that grace has always been there for us to see and experience. We didn't HAVE TO read the story. Reading the story just made it easier for us to recognize … unless we make a false idol of it and start worshipping the character in the story, and the story itself, instead of the divine healing love and forgiveness revealed, therein.

As to the Judaic origins, I agree with you. But I am not a Jew. Nor am I a member of an ancient society. So I find no particularly compelling reason to hold to ancient Jewish beliefs and traditions just because Jesus did. Jesus was a Jew, and I am not. Jesus was a member of an ancient society, and I am not. The ancient Jews that interpreted the life of Jesus and created the religion based on his name were ancient Jews. And I am not, so I see no particular reason why I should accept their interpretation and understanding of Jesus as my own, or why I should accept their stories and comments as anything more than what they are.

Maintaining tradition for the sake of tradition lacks reason.
The revelation of Christianity is not an ideal, it is an event: The incarnation, life, death and resurrection of Christ. There would have been no doubt in the mind of early Christians what resurrection meant. It is the claim that in the event of Jesus Christ, God and the telos of history is revealed. Again, this requires looking into the scriptures.
That's the claim of those ancient Jews who were expecting their Messiah to come wielding a mighty sword to vanquish all their oppressors, but got a Messiah that spoke of love and forgiveness and of turning the other cheek, instead. And who was killed by their oppressors instead of vanquishing them. They NEEDED to believe in all that mystical symbolism to keep their Messiah alive and powerful. But I am not an ancient Jew. I am not despondent over their lost Messiah. So I don't need to pretend all that mystical symbolism is real. I just need to be healed and saved from myself. As Jesus said I would be, if I would allow God's love within me, to direct me in this life. And that is a truth that I have found to be evidenced by my experience of reality. That's the revelation I needed. And that's the revelation I have received. The rest is just ancient religiosity, to me.

And I think I am not unusual in these needs and differences, which is why others are beginning to do as I am doing: jettisoning the ancient Judaism, and fantasy-based religiosity, and holding onto the pure Christian ideal/revelation.

Selaphiel

PureX said:
There is the story, and there is the lesson (revelation) of the story. The story of Jesus of Nazareth is a mythical story, meaning that it is intended to convey a revelation. As a means to that end, 'Jesus' becomes the Christ. He becomes a human manifestation of God's love, and forgiveness, and kindness, and generosity, and example for all mankind. Jesus is the embodiment of the revelation. Of the lesson being conveyed.

How is it a mythical story? The gospels are not pure history in the modern sense, but they are certainly not myths. Jesus of Nazareth was an actual person who lived in an actual context teaching specific things. You are taking the actual historical persona completely out of his context, and declares him to be something that you also have taken out of context. If Jesus is just an incarnation of moral teaching, why is his death and resurrection the central part of the story? Reducing Jesus to a moral teacher does not do him justice. His own teachings declares the events of his life to be central to the interpretation of him. The disciples understands his moral teaching, what baffles them are the events of his destiny. If there is no actual death and resurrection, then there has occured no revelation.

How do you access and argue for the validity of this universal ideal? Why should I not be a Nietzschean? Why should I not be selfish and follow the advise of Ecclesiastes: "Anyone who is among the living has hope --even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!" Why should I not strive to be the superman, rising above the weak? Or in Nietzsche's words: Why should the hawk care about the cries of the lambs? Point being, the actual teachings and revelation of Christ are pretty much anything but self-evident or easily available by looking at existence as it is.

ut the essence of that revelation, of that lesson, is a truth. It is a truth that, as truth, permeates existence itself. And can therefor be recognized and experienced by we humans, if we are looking for it.

Why is it true? As you yourself pointed out, the people expected something different. Antiquity did not believe in enemy love, in fact such teaching was the epitomy of foolishness. And our actions today still show that that is what we really think. It is the same with the prophets of the Old testament, they aren't preaching 'universal human ideals', they preach counter-cultural divine perspectives on historical events. They are words that disrupt 'truth', not confirms it. That is, they are revelatory, and as such they are rejected as folly or accepted as revelation of something beyond ourselves.

The mythical story of Jesus of Nazareth has helped mankind seek and recognize the truth of the saving grace of God's love acting within and through us. But the truth of that grace has always been there for us to see and experience. We didn't HAVE TO read the story. Reading the story just made it easier for us to recognize … unless we make a false idol of it and start worshipping the character in the story, and the story itself, instead of the divine healing love and forgiveness revealed, therein.

But it is not a myth. Either the core events occured or they didn't. If they didn't, then there is no revelation there. If it is the truth, why is it not actually manifest in history rather than myth?

As to the Judaic origins, I agree with you. But I am not a Jew. Nor am I a member of an ancient society. So I find no particularly compelling reason to hold to ancient Jewish beliefs and traditions just because Jesus did. Jesus was a Jew, and I am not. Jesus was a member of an ancient society, and I am not. The ancient Jews that interpreted the life of Jesus and created the religion based on his name were ancient Jews. And I am not, so I see no particular reason why I should accept their interpretation and understanding of Jesus as my own, or why I should accept their stories and comments as anything more than what they are.

Because even if that story is riddled with human limitation, sin and failure. It is still held that God acted with and through Israel, and in and through Jesus Christ.

Maintaining tradition for the sake of tradition lacks reason.

But that is not what has been done. It is rather stating that the claims only make sense within the tradition. It is a story about a particular historical person, in a particular historical period in a particular culture. Taking the person and the honorifics out of the context render them hollow and meaningless. It is simple really, either there is truth in this particularity or it should be dismissed as simple false. The God in that tradition is a God that defined by those particularities. Dismiss the particularities and you have really left that tradition, but yet you want to keep the titles and persons, just without their proper content.

That's the claim of those ancient Jews who were expecting their Messiah to come wielding a mighty sword to vanquish all their oppressors, but got a Messiah that spoke of love and forgiveness and of turning the other cheek, instead. And who was killed by their oppressors instead of vanquishing them. They NEEDED to believe in all that mystical symbolism to keep their Messiah alive and powerful. But I am not an ancient Jew. I am not despondent over their lost Messiah. So I don't need to pretend all that mystical symbolism is real. I just need to be healed and saved from myself. As Jesus said I would be, if I would allow God's love within me, to direct me in this life. And that is a truth that I have found to be evidenced by my experience of reality. That's the revelation I needed. And that's the revelation I have received. The rest is just ancient religiosity, to me.

Why even bother with the name Jesus and the title of 'Christ' then? Where did he say this? If Christ did not truly die and truly get raised in a non-mythical manner, then there is no healing in what he said. It is the path to destruction, a path to crucifixion How can you be healed by what is not real? It seems as though you want your cake and eat it too.

And I think I am not unusual in these needs and differences, which is why others are beginning to do as I am doing: jettisoning the ancient Judaism, and fantasy-based religiosity, and holding onto the pure Christian ideal/revelation.

You use the word fantasy-based. How do you know that your religiosity is not simply a projection in the Feuerbachian or Freudian sense? That is the fascinating part with the Bible and taking the scriptures seriously, they escape such easy categorizations.

The thing is: Removing the Jewish context and the idea that the life of Jesus Christ actually happened makes the idea of a Christian revelation into pure nonsense. The only thing your religion has in common with Christianity then is the rather peculiar need to use names and titles from it, but removing the content and context of them. And perhaps most importantly, there is more depth in those scriptures. Simply dismissing them as ancient and barbaric is too simple. There are horrifying elements in them, but also a surprisingly honest appraisal of the world. They are interesting when engaged with intelligently.

I think you are way too quick to simply dismiss orthodoxy as merely fantasy for ignorants. I dare you, go read a theologian like Wolfhart Pannenberg and come back and tell me he was ignorant and into fantasy based religiosity. He was among the most well read and intellectual powerhouses of 20th century theology and he would not have any of that mythical Christianity.

The Berean

I was going to respond to you, PureX, but Selaphiel pretty much covered everything I wanted to say, and in a more eloquent manner.

For some reason you have attempted to separate the the Christ "ideal" from Jesus Christ and that is just plain folly. But the greatest flaw in your thinking is believing that Jesus Christ was a myth, that he never existed in history. That is simply not true.

PureX

I was going to respond to you, PureX, but Selaphiel pretty much covered everything I wanted to say, and in a more eloquent manner.
He does that. :)

For some reason you have attempted to separate the the Christ "ideal" from Jesus Christ and that is just plain folly. But the greatest flaw in your thinking is believing that Jesus Christ was a myth, that he never existed in history. That is simply not true.
I'm separating it from the "Jesus religion". I'm not saying Jesus is a myth, I'm saying that the story of Jesus that we read in the Bible is a mythical story. Meaning that it is intended to convey an ideal/revelation to those who read it. Jesus was not a Jewish evangelist. Jews don't even believe in evangelism. He was a Jew proposing a new way of understanding their relationship to God and each other, to other Jews. And it was a new way of understanding that was so profound and radical that it transcended Judaism, in fact. And could thereby be adopted by people of any religion, or non-religion.

Just because you can't separate the ideal from the Judaic religiosity from which it sprung doesn't mean that no one else, can.

I can, and I do.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Just because you can't separate the ideal from the religiosity doesn't mean that no one else, can.

I can, and I do.

and in doing so, you throw out so much of what He is, just to satisfy your own foolish desire to create your own god

what a shame

Reactions: Lon

Lon

The "Myth" problem

The "Myth" problem

myth

/miTH/

noun
noun: myth; plural noun: myths
1. a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
synonyms: folk tale, folk story, legend, tale, story, fable, saga, mythos, lore, folklore, mythology
"ancient Greek myths"
•traditional stories or legends collectively.
"the heroes of Greek myth"

2. a widely held but false belief or idea.
"he wants to dispel the myth that sea kayaking is too risky or too strenuous"

The problem with 'Myth' is that the examples given in the first are nearly all 'not true' and so most think immediately of the second as defining myth as 'false.'

Purex may be trying to stick with the classical first line of 'a traditional story conveying a truism,' at least possibly, but it is a definition used to allow for exactly either interpretation trying to appease both sides. It is generally an academic employ or given by liberal theologians embracing such language.

Imho, the use of "Myth" only means 'something false or untrue' to be of any good communication today. I'm chagrined that 'gay' and 'rainbow' are no longer classically accepted definitions either. We need to let some things go and move on to words that convey better meaning and I'd suggest dropping 'myth' because #1 is no longer used or understood in the English language, or appreciated. Nobody believe in a 'true' myth anymore in this age of skepticism and cynicism. It is no longer a good canned word for the liberal theologian. My two cents and advice. -Lon

Zeke

He does that. :)

I'm separating it from the "Jesus religion". I'm not saying Jesus is a myth, I'm saying that the story of Jesus that we read in the Bible is a mythical story. Meaning that it is intended to convey an ideal/revelation to those who read it. Jesus was not a Jewish evangelist. Jews don't even believe in evangelism. He was a Jew proposing a new way of understanding their relationship to God and each other, to other Jews. And it was a new way of understanding that was so profound and radical that it transcended Judaism, in fact. And could thereby be adopted by people of any religion, or non-religion.

Just because you can't separate the ideal from the Judaic religiosity from which it sprung doesn't mean that no one else, can.

I can, and I do.

Exactly, that separation that sprung from the Judaic motif that was separated by some other nomenclature before that Judaic title became vogue, and plagiarized from the past. That rubs the exclusive minded the wrong way, yet its over due, they have had their day and look at the planet reeling under their educated watch.

Robert Pate

Banned
AMR posted an interesting link on one of the closed theology threads, and I found myself agreeing with many of the changes that are happening in the views that modern American Christians are expressing about Christian religious dogma.

First, here is the link: The State of Theology

And here are some of the findings presented in it:

I find myself agreeing with a number of these positions, and I feel it's a positive sign that others are considering Christianity in what appears to be a more realistic and functional light, than that of the past.

It's not at all surprising that the ideology of Christianity is changing. Even in spite of the many and ongoing efforts at thwarting change. But I am a little surprised to find these changes reflecting modern perceptions and values to the degree that they are. (Though I don't know why I should be, as I suppose it's only natural.)

Anyway, I see this as a positive sign, and I'm just wondering what others think.

I see it as a departure from the faith, 2 Thessalonians 2:3, 4.

Buzzword

I'm loving the discussion happening between Purex and Selaphiel, so let me just add some pertinent quotes.

“The Bible, when taken as an ethical rule book, offers us no clear categories for many of our most significant and vexing socioethical quandaries. We find no explicit mention, for example, of abortion, capitalism, communism, socialism, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, autism, systemic racism, affirmative action, human rights, nationalism, sexual orientation, pornography, global climate change, imprisonment, extinction of species, energy efficiency, environmental sustainability, genetic engineering, space travel, and so on – not to mention nuclear weapons, biological warfare, and just-war theory.”
-Brian McLaren

“I charge you before God and his blessed angels that you follow me no further than you have seen me follow Christ. If God reveal anything to you by any other instrument of His, be as ready to receive it as you were to receive any truth from my ministry, for I am verily persuaded the Lord hath more truth and light yet to break forth from His holy word. The Lutherans cannot be drawn to go beyond what Luther saw. Whatever part of His will our God has revealed to Calvin, they (Lutherans) will rather die than embrace it; and the Calvinists, you see, stick fast where they were left by that great man of God, who yet saw not all things. This is a misery much to be lamented. For though they were precious shining lights in their time, yet God has not revealed his whole will to them. And were they now living, they would be as ready and willing to embrace further light, as they had received.”
-John Robinson

“The notion that humankind’s understanding of God has deepened or progressed shouldn’t unsettle us. To the contrary, it should be cause for celebration.”
-Oliver Thomas

“Peter's world is changing [in Acts 10], and he must move beyond the mind-set that says, 'The Bible says it; I believe it; that settles it.' Instead he says, 'The Bible says it, but I think God is up to something new, so I will listen to and follow God.'”
"Our quest for truth, certainty, purity of doctrine, and our tendency to label others who don’t agree with us, to separate from them and to demonize them, lead us to black-and-white thinking. I am right and you are wrong. I am faithful and you are unfaithful. I am whole and you are wounded or defective. We have ‘all the gospel’ and you do not."
-Adam Hamilton

PureX

How is it a mythical story? The gospels are not pure history in the modern sense, but they are certainly not myths.
Actually, that's exactly what they are. Most myths contain accurate information that's been exaggerated and embellished to better serve their intent; which is to convey an ideal, lesson, or revelation of some kind. And that's exactly what the story of Jesus of Nazareth is, and is intended to do.
Jesus of Nazareth was an actual person who lived in an actual context teaching specific things. You are taking the actual historical persona completely out of his context, and declares him to be something that you also have taken out of context. If Jesus is just an incarnation of moral teaching, why is his death and resurrection the central part of the story?
We don't know that Jesus actually existed. But that doesn't matter because whatever and whoever Jesus was, he is NOW the embodiment of an ideal. He is NOW the central character in a religious myth. That is his proper "context" from our perspective.
Reducing Jesus to a moral teacher does not do him justice. His own teachings declares the events of his life to be central to the interpretation of him. The disciples understands his moral teaching, what baffles them are the events of his destiny. If there is no actual death and resurrection, then there has occured no revelation.
You're not reading the story as a story. And you're insisting that I must not do so, either. But it IS a story, now. That's ALL IT IS, NOW. Because whatever reality there may once have been to it is now lost to us. All we have is the story, and the lessons/revelations that the story conveys to us.

The Jews of the time interpreted that lesson and revelation in the way that best made sense to them. As did the Christians who assembled the written texts centuries later. But I am not an ancient Jew, nor a medieval monk, nor even an orthodox Christian of today. So I feel no particular compulsion, nor see any logical reason for me to adopt their interpretations of the mythical story. And so far, I am not seeing you offering me any, either, except that you are shocked that I'd dare to interpret the mythical story for myself, and in a way that best serves my own needs and temperament. Which I find rather myopic of you.
How do you access and argue for the validity of this universal ideal?
The ideal as I see it is simple, and is universal: that God's love acting in us and through us to others, can and will heal us and save us from ourselves. I believe it because I tried it, and found that it's true. And I have seen many others try it and they also have found that it's true. And I have also seen that as more and more people follow this prescription, they make each other's lives better.

So from my own experience and witness, the access is universal, and so are the results.
Why should I not be a Nietzschean? Why should I not be selfish and follow the advise of Ecclesiastes: "Anyone who is among the living has hope --even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!" Why should I not strive to be the superman, rising above the weak? Or in Nietzsche's words: Why should the hawk care about the cries of the lambs? Point being, the actual teachings and revelation of Christ are pretty much anything but self-evident or easily available by looking at existence as it is.
You should do as you think appropriate, and I am sure that you will. But I believe that you will discover the Christ ideal of living through love to produce better results for you and for everyone in your life, over all.
Why is it true? As you yourself pointed out, the people expected something different. Antiquity did not believe in enemy love, in fact such teaching was the epitomy of foolishness.
Many still think like this, today. Many professing Christians right here on TOL still believe in an "eye for an eye", and a "me first" mentality. But slowly, over a long time span, we humans do seem to be becoming kinder toward each other. Though sadly, here in the U.S. present, we have been falling back into moral Darwinism, again.

But I'd rather hope for positive change than live without hope of it. Just as I'd rather live for universal love, forgiveness, kindness and generosity than live for greed, live in fear, or live to pursue selfish desires.
… the claims only make sense within the tradition.
That simply is not true, and I have my own life experiences to prove it to me. But whatever you need to prove whatever you believe, to yourself, is your own concern. As it should be.
Why even bother with the name Jesus and the title of 'Christ' then?
They are the language and ideological framework I've been given, in this culture, so they are the language and ideological framework I use. I simply disregard the ancient Judaic religious associations because I am not an ancient Jew. Nor even a modern one.
You use the word fantasy-based. How do you know that your religiosity is not simply a projection in the Feuerbachian or Freudian sense? That is the fascinating part with the Bible and taking the scriptures seriously, they escape such easy categorizations.
I don't really care. I am not searching for the "truth" beyond a truth that 'works' in my life. If believing in feats of magic worked in my life, I would choose to do so regardless of whether it aligned with some satanists dogma, or some scientist's experiments. The truth is what works in my experience of reality. Not what someone else claims it is, to them.

I think you are way too quick to simply dismiss orthodoxy as merely fantasy for ignorants.
I don't dismiss orthodoxy because I think it's a fantasy for ignorants. I dismiss it because it doesn't 'work' as truth in my modern experience of reality. I fully understand that the people who hold to it are doing so because doing so 'works' for them in some way. But it doesn't work for me, nor, apparently for increasing numbers of my fellow humans.

Lon

“The Bible, when taken as an ethical rule book, offers us no clear categories for many of our most significant and vexing socioethical quandaries. We find no explicit mention, for example, of abortion, capitalism, communism, socialism, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, autism, systemic racism, affirmative action, human rights, nationalism, sexual orientation, pornography, global climate change, imprisonment, extinction of species, energy efficiency, environmental sustainability, genetic engineering, space travel, and so on – not to mention nuclear weapons, biological warfare, and just-war theory.”
-Brian McLaren

My problem with Brian McLaren is that he seems to not read his Bible as often as he should. This quote is erroneous simply because the Scriptures give the sentiment in how to rightly treat these topics and with a biblical confidence. There are of course other problems I have with his process-type theology, but I'm addressing specifically this liberal and imho, uninformed biblical commentary.

Daniel1769

My problem with Brian McLaren is that he seems to not read his Bible as often as he should. This quote is erroneous simply because the Scriptures give the sentiment in how to rightly treat these topics and with a biblical confidence. There are of course other problems I have with his process-type theology, but I'm addressing specifically this liberal and imho, uninformed biblical commentary.

The problem with the Brian McLaren quote is that he is wrong. The Bible addresses most of these subjects, even if not by name. The ones it doesn't address like how to travel in space is because it isn't relevant. The Bible doesn't tell me how to change a flat tire. So what? Anyone who says the Bible doesn't specifically and clearly address issues like homosexuality, nationalism, pornography, etc. is either dishonest, in denial or just hasn't read the Bible. I don't know who Brian McLaren is,but he is obviously very ignorant and not worth listening to at all.

Reactions: Lon

PureX

Lon and Daniel - what neither of you seems to grasp is that your presumption that the Bible addresses those issue is based entirely on your own personal interpretation of the text. Because the text itself does NOT address any of those subjects, specifically. You are simply interpreting the text in such a way as to imply (to you) that the text 'means to' included them, morally, theologically, and/or metaphorically.

Then you are assuming that your inclusive interpretation of the text is the only possible way of interpreting them, so everyone else should just recognize that fact. But in fact, the text did not directly include any those issues, and your assumption that it 'means to' is just your own assumption. One that not everyone else agrees with.

Lon

Lon and Daniel - what neither of you seems to grasp is that your presumption that the Bible addresses those issue is based entirely on your own personal interpretation of the text. Because the text itself does NOT address any of those subjects, specifically.
:nono: "Don't steal" means embezzling as well." Our bodies are not our own, we are not our own, we were bought with a price. Thou shalt not murder" (kill for selfish reasons). These cover most of the concerns with few exceptions. There are other scriptures that speak to these other issues.

You are simply interpreting the text in such a way as to imply (to you) that the text 'means to' included them, morally, theologically, and/or metaphorically.
People who don't read their bibles, don't know what it says. That's true.
Then you are assuming that your inclusive interpretation of the text is the only possible way of interpreting them, so everyone else should just recognize that fact. But in fact, the text did not directly include any those issues, and your assumption that it 'means to' is just your own assumption. One that not everyone else agrees with.
Generally, most of the time, words mean something or they wouldn't be said and handed down. Only those who revere the words of God would pay this much attention.

PureX

:nono: "Don't steal" means embezzling as well." Our bodies are not our own, we are not our own, we were bought with a price. Thou shalt not murder" (kill for selfish reasons). These cover most of the concerns with few exceptions. There are other scriptures that speak to these other issues.
In your mind they do. But not in everyone else's. "Thou shalt not kill" could mean thou shalt not kill anything. Or it could mean though shalt not kill some things. Or it could mean thou shalt not kill indiscriminately. Or it could mean thou shalt not kill unjustly. And who decides what is just or unjust killing? Who decides what is indiscriminate killing? The answer is that we do. Just as we decide if fetuses are included in that which we shall not kill.

You have decided this for yourself. And that's fine. But having done so, you then just presume that your decision overrules everyone else's. That if they disagree with your interpretation of this vague dictum, they are disagreeing with God Himself. And yet they are not. They are merely disagreeing with your interpretation of an ancient religious text, that God did not even write. (That, too, is an assumption on your part.)

Everyone fills in the vagaries with their own imagined intent. And that's as it must be because the text is vague. But that doesn't give any of us the right to then just assume that our interpretation of the text is the only and absolutely correct interpretation of it, and therefor anyone else's is wrong and immoral. Yet this is what you are assuming, isn't it.
People who don't read their bibles, don't know what it says. That's true.
And the people who do read it don't always agree on what it means.
Generally, most of the time, words mean something or they wouldn't be said and handed down.
And yet nearly every word in the dictionary has multiple meanings. And even more-so when they have been translated from other languages.
Only those who revere the words of God would pay this much attention.
God didn't write any words. That, too, is a presumptive interpretation of the text, by you, that not everyone shares.